MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THe Power to Believe in NON-METAL???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THe Power to Believe in NON-METAL???
    Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:01am
Hey guys, The Power to Believe, by King Crimson, is Non-Metal? For me is very metal, very aggressive!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:30am
It was decided that King Crimson be added to the site on the merits of some of their early work only, which had an influence on a number of metal bands to follow and had its metal moments.  There was consideration over adding some of their other material under a metal category, but the collaborators couldn't come to an agreement as to which subgenre their later material could fit under.  We decided to label them non-metal.

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:52am
Why don't just "Progressive Metal"? I think it's fit to their 90', material.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 10:05am
As long as the Collabs on the site are not 100% in agreement where to place the albums, they will remain in the non-metal catagory. This is a metal site, and since we have the opportunity to tag on album level, we are tagging albums that we don�t feel have enough "metal" elements on them with a non-metal tag.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:18pm
I think we are still debating that, officially.  Myself and the avant-metal team (which was much larger at the time :| ) decided it didn't belong there, and recommended a move to alt-metal; however, as it turns out, the alt-metal team recommended a move to avant-metal.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:28pm
The thing is, that it�s not much of a priority right now. We have much more important database editing to spend our time on. Discussions in the Collab zone about the tagging of King Crimson albums will have to wait until the database is in a better shape. Max has signalled that reviewing non-metal albums will be implemented at some point in the future and then maybe it won�t matter as much anymore.

The discussion will without a doubt commence at some point, but let�s spend out time doing more urgent things right now.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:52pm
Actually, upon review, Thrak was the only KC album officially brought to the avant-metal team.  As is stood then, and I think as it still stands, I would support addition of any of the last 3 KC albums to avant-metal BUT my "colleague" Paperbag and (former avant team member and honourary collaborator) Any Colour You Like have both declined THRAK.  Neither of them has really given a position on TPtB or TCoL.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:05pm
Is it because you'd like to review it, Tupan?
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Actually, upon review, Thrak was the only KC album officially brought to the avant-metal team.  As is stood then, and I think as it still stands, I would support addition of any of the last 3 KC albums to avant-metal BUT my "colleague" Paperbag and (former avant team member and honourary collaborator) Any Colour You Like have both declined THRAK.  Neither of them has really given a position on TPtB or TCoL.

Yea whatever happened to Paperbag? He seemed like he was serious about collabing.

But it was me who brought THRAK to the avant team. At that point I had never heard TPtB, and I brought TCoL to the alt team, which was shot down. Now that I've heard TPrB, I would support an inclusion to either avant or alt, but I'm on neither team so it's not up to me as much as it is to them.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:47pm
Hmm, well if Paperbag isn't around to ask, I would be okay with putting TPtB and TCoL into avant-metal.  I think we still have to acknowledge that Thrak was shot down, of course.

If an admin agrees with me (and I think they do, judging from the old discussion in the alt- thread) I will move those two albums to avant-metal.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:15pm
Just my two cents, Thrak should be moved to alt/prog/avant but something...
I'd also agree with TCoL and TPtB

On another note since this comment seems to have gotten missed, why is Lizard listed here on MMA????
I'd hate to lose the ratings but that needs to be moved seriously LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 08 May 2011 at 3:16pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:01pm
re:Lizard, 3 of the tracks on the album I could see as proto-metal, honestly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic