Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folk music tavern!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folk music tavern!
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:50pm
All suggestions and reflections are welcome!

I'll start with Polish Celtic folk band called Beltaine. Beltaine has quite modern approach to tradition and tends to enrich their music with world music, Slavic, rock and pop elements. Their debut album (Rockhill) is almost purely traditional though. They're well-known for incredible energy and pace of their performances (watch the second video and you'll understand why).

Edited by bartosso - 24 Oct 2012 at 4:42pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:54pm
Most of the European folk I listen to is from England; not sure that's what you want to discuss LOL
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 4:23pm
one of my favourites

also some other GG songs that cover your surching spirit for European folk
you can even dance a jig to it, more tavern than that is hard to do

you would also like to hear Roger Hodgson in a tavern

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:28am
I quite like folk music from all over the world.

I have a CD by a German medieval folk act called Tabula Rasa, which I bought from the the band, once after they had performed in my hometown at the time. Their main instrumentation is pipes, flutes, percussion and other European medieval instruments but accompanied by a cello. They're pretty cool. The album is eponymous and was released on 2000. They've also released an album called "Puer Nobis Nascitur: Weinachtslieder aus dem 12.-17. Jh", but the band themselves actually advised me not to buy it for some reason. Anyway, I have no idea what they're up to now or they're even active, but that eponymous album from 2000 is recommended.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 8:41am
I'm much more of a traditional folk fan than a fan of modern folk music. My favourites are Balkan and Caucasian music, especially that of my home country, Romania, and that of our neighbours Hungary. I don't mind Celtic but I never seemed to like it enough to dig it a bit, plus I find all that contemporary commercial "Celtic" folk hideous. 
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Most of the European folk I listen to is from England; not sure that's what you want to discuss LOL
Of course it is, why wouldn't it be? Post something, I'm curious.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:58pm
Speaking of folk, I should proudly mention that my brother is one of the few bodhr�nists in Denmark. He's even appeared on a couple of recordings.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Of course it is, why wouldn't it be? Post something, I'm curious.

Just stuff like Fairport Convention, The Pentangle, Comus, Roy Harper.  70's British prog folk.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Speaking of folk, I should proudly mention that my brother is one of the few bodhr�nists in Denmark. He's even appeared on a couple of recordings.

whats that, elaborate Tongue,

also I found out today, music with harp is the most beautifull ever, so if any folk bands have harp, obo, cello, flutes and some piano Shocked , I am interested, also some primitive drums in the context, timpanis, tam tams. or big bass drums.

sadly i did not find Recounter Troubadour which is fantastic

also Harmonium here is some fantastic scandinavian folk for you 

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

whats that, elaborate Tongue,

He plays the bodhr�n. He's also an accomplished prog metal drummer.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

also Harmonium here is some fantastic scandinavian folk for you 

Thanks. For commercial pop-folk, I'll have to admit that was very good. But I'd be more interested in Scandinavian traditional folk, do you have some?
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:02am
their is always fight in taverns anyway

eh trad folk hmm lets see, im not that of an expert really but i gnow what it is when I hear it...

this is what I beleeve to be a trad dance, played with a Harding fiddle an 8 string fiddle where the strings are pared on four so it looks like a four string but beneath that lies four other strings, I don't know how it is tunes though but deeper, i think

how djent issent that

this was particurlarly nice and powerfull

this is my best at blindly pick som folk and traditional tunes I have heard one of them or probably more, but I know the feelings they woke inside me
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:59pm
There's some pagan folk from Żywiołak.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 1:01pm
It's more a psych/neo-folk rock than traditional folk but I just have to post it here. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Hexvessel and their debut album. For me, this is fantastic stuff.

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:44pm
I'm really into a band called Nest.  A very interesting band that uses acoustic folk and dark ambient in their music.  They're from Finland and they use a 15 string Finnish instrument called a kantele in their music.

Better suited for cold weather, but I it doesn't change the conclusion that they are pretty awesome.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:22pm
New Hexvessel !

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 4:01pm
Not exactly folk, but often tagged "indie folk". I think their latest album is excellent:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic