Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Best of Year 2022 Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Best of Year 2022 Discussion Thread
    Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:34am
Nearly another year gone by and it's almost time again for the best of year vote. I'll be opening the voting thread soon so now might be a good time to start thinking about your favourite albums of the year.

Use this thread for discussion on the best of 2022 to save clutter in the actual voting thread.

All the rules will be at the top of the voting thread when it appears but one of the most important ones is that any albums voted for must be on the MMA database. I always find some in lists that are not so if you're aware of any albums/bands you'd like to vote for that aren't here please add them or bring it to the attention of Collaborators/Admin asap.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:37am
Oh man I'm going to REALLY have to do some catch up with new releases so get together even a respectable submission for this year. I've rated less than 30 releases all year and a few of them I'd be disinclined to give points to. 

Feel free to drop me any recommendations. My #1 is all but assured, but everything else is up in the air. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 9:30am
I already have some kind of list... Voivod, Wormrot, Sadist and Ratos de Porão are there. Also, the side project of Matt Heafy, Ibaraki, was a good surprise in 2022!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 1:01pm
I´ve never had a year like 2022, where I´ve reviewed so few new releases. If I can muster submitting a top 5 this year, it´ll be a miracle.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:57pm
I thought I had the album of the year selected several times, but new shit just keeps coming along. It's down to a couple now - thrash veterans or grindcore newcomers.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 9:46am
I like the new Meshuggah a lot. It´s a bit different and even a bit melodic at times, which I think suits them at this point. Is it even a little bit more accessible than usual?...yeah even that.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I like the new Meshuggah a lot. It´s a bit different and even a bit melodic at times, which I think suits them at this point. Is it even a little bit more accessible than usual?...yeah even that.

It does sound more accessible!
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:17pm
Definitely agree on Meshuggah.  It almost has a creepy atmospheric vibe that their others don't.  I'd rank it quite highly in their discography but perhaps that's down to it still being relatively fresh.

I've heard plenty of other great stuff this year.  If people need some reccommendations, go for the following:

Death metal

Suppression - The Sorrow of Soul Through Flesh  (old school vibes)
Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain (crazy dissonant tech death)
Immolation - Acts of Gods (standard Immolation excellence)

Sludge/Doom/Post-Metal

Conan - Evidence of Immortality (like wading through a blood soaked peat bog)
Crowbar - Zero and Below (standard Crowbar solidity)
Conjurer - Pathos (bleak and heavy as fuck)
Chat Pile - God's Country (blood curdling sluge with a few twists)

Mathcore

The Callous Daoboys - Celebrity Therapist (delightfully bat-shit crazy)
Gospel - The Loser (the aggression of mathcore with 70s prog structures)

Black Metal

Grima - Frostbitten (chillingly cold and atmospheric)
Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture (jazzy black metal with angry Scottish vocals)

I'd be most interested in anyone else's findings.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 2:39pm
I've added fewer albums to my collection this year than any year for some time. So far I've bought around 40 2022 releases though with Xmas coming up and a few late buys it's likely to top 50 compared to around 80 last year. There's been some great stuff but overall not one of the best.

Immolation are almost certain to top my vote but also high up will be Revocation, Jungle Rot, Undeath, Consumption, Star One and Michael Romeo.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:25am
The only 2022 releases I´ve reviewed this year are:

Album:
Toxik - Dis Morta
Witchery - Nightside
Werewolves - From the Cave to the Grave

EP:
Abysmal Dawn - Nightmare Frontier

Single:
Dying Fetus - Compulsion for Cruelty
Toxik - Creating the Abyss
Toxik - Power
Autopsy - Skin by Skin

I´ve also listened to but not reviewed:

Meshuggah - Immutable
Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... and The Dead
Devin Townsend - Lightwork
Defleshed - Grind Over Matter

...and probably a few more I can´t remember right now.

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:10pm
Contrary to most people in here saying it's been a slow year for them, this has actually been my most productive year for music since 2016, and my first time being over 100 albums ranked on RYM since then. I did slow down a bit in the last couple months, but I now have a setup that lets me listen to music a lot more easily without needing to rely on headphones (which make me sick over a long period), so things should finally be steady for me going forward. 

I still have some stuff to listen to, but I should be able to put together a comprehensive list, once voting starts, maybe needing to add a few albums to the site, as usual.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 4:04am
Good thing I got a head start on this. So far I've got 12 albums I may be voting for. They are:

Keldian - The Bloodwater Rebellion
Stratovarius - Survive
Venator - Echoes From the Gutter
Power Paladin - With the Magic of Windfyre Steel
A Sound of Thunder - The Krimson Kult
Behemoth - Opvs Contra Natvram
Immolation - Acts of God
Septicflesh - Modern Primitive
Blind Guardian - The God Machine
Grave Digger - Symbol of Eternity
Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying...And the Dead!
Soilwork - Overgivenheten

Still have to add more of course and this list may change as a result. Other releases I still need to check out are:

Revocation - Netherheaven
Amon Amarth - The Great Heathen Army
Witchery - Nightside
Alestorm - Seventh Rum of a Seventh Rum
Sigh - Shiki
Municipal Waste - Electrified Brain
Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown
Kreator - Hate uber alles
Animals As Leaders
Goatwhore - Angels Hung From the Arches of Heaven
Lamb of God - Omens
Terra Atlantica - Beyond the Borders
Avatarium - Death, Where Is Your Sting
Satyricon - Satyricon and Munch
Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritus Flesh
Darkthrone - Astral Fortress
Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat
Allegaeon - Damnum
Candlemass - Sweet Evil Sun
Satan's Host - This Legacy Will Never Die
Ruby the Hatchet - Fear is a Cruel Master
Grave Digger - Symbol of Eternity
Obituary - Dying of Everything
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Oh man I'm going to REALLY have to do some catch up with new releases so get together even a respectable submission for this year. I've rated less than 30 releases all year and a few of them I'd be disinclined to give points to. 

Feel free to drop me any recommendations. My #1 is all but assured, but everything else is up in the air. 

The new Threshold album might be worth you checking out Adam. Haven't made my mind up on it yet but I know you liked the last one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

The new Threshold album might be worth you checking out Adam. Haven't made my mind up on it yet but I know you liked the last one.

Ah yes, will definitely give that one a whirl. The last album made me a fan having been rather indifferent to them previously. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:43am
The Best of 2022 voting thread is now open so feel free to start adding your lists as soon as you like.

Please read all the rules before submitting your list.

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 7:41am
I saw the lists already available, good to see that Wormrot's Hiss is being loved!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 4:26am
Only 7 lists in the voting thread so far so please keep those lists coming. There's still over a month to go but if there's not sufficient lists to make a meaningful vote by the end of january I'll extend the deadline. If that doesn't do the trick then It'll be a waste of time compiling a presentation so I won't bother.

Going to start sending out PM's after Xmas to see if that drums up a bit of interest.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 9:19am
Still got mine to submit. I’ll compile after Christmas. Sorry for the delay.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 10:53am
Mine's pretty much done. Creating a Spotify list to keep track during the year has been really handy.
DalesaniXMMA69 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalesaniXMMA69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 9:24am
Cult of Luna - The Long Road North
Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach
King Buffalo - Regenerator
Meshuggah - Immutable
Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium/Undreamable Abysses
Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat
Kayo Dot - Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike
Korn - Requiem
Amorphis - Halo
Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
Immolation - Acts of God
Ghost - Impera