Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Band recommendations for a workmate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Band recommendations for a workmate?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:14pm
Got a guy at work who's a bit curious about metal. He's into proggy stuff already, so I directed him to Prog Archives. He's also after some recommendations in the "synthwave/darksynth/synthmetal" (his words) area, which I know next to nothing about. I could recommend Deafheaven, but beyond that I'm stuck.

Any ideas?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:03am
He´ll find a lot of interesting prog metal on PA, but I know exactly as little as you do about synthwave/darksynth/synthmetal", so I ain´t much help here.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 1:26pm
The only band I can think of atm that comes close to that description is maybe Dope Stars Inc.?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm
The metal I first got into via prog was probably Agalloch... but I already listened to the classics before that
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 4:28am
I was just talking to him today. Another friend had suggested Avenged Sevenfold, so he's trying them for a bit. Agalloch might be a bit of a stretch just yet.Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:34am
Well Avenged Sevenfold doesn´t sound anything like what you suggested in your original post, but personally I like their City of Evil album. That album is a winner in my book.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 11:06am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Well Avenged Sevenfold doesn´t sound anything like what you suggested in your original post, but personally I like their City of Evil album. That album is a winner in my book.

Yeah, I know.Big smile He really doesn't know a lot about metal, but he's quite young and keen so I don't want to scare him off.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
Mastodon's Crack the Skye should be a reasonably easy going introduction to accessible proggy metal with a touch of the heavier side thrown in for good measure.

That was one of my introductions to anything heavier than Iron Maiden or nu metal and was definitely an important stage in getting into some of the furthest extremities of metal.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Most people who listen to more extreme forms of metal went through several gateway genres before reaching the most extreme end of the spectrum....hell I was once a major Bon Jovi fan Big smile and look at me now...

... oh oh Livin´ on a Prayer Cool

Edited by UMUR - 13 Sep 2022 at 1:24pm
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 3:30pm
After growing up on a diet of The Beatles, I went through phases of britpop, indie rock and pop-punk and whatever other alternative rock was big in the late 90s/early 00s. Big turning point for me (amusingly enough) was the film School of Rock. Got me into classic rock, Iron Maiden etc and I have never stopped passing through gateways ever since
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

Mastodon's Crack the Skye should be a reasonably easy going introduction to accessible proggy metal with a touch of the heavier side thrown in for good measure.

That was one of my introductions to anything heavier than Iron Maiden or nu metal and was definitely an important stage in getting into some of the furthest extremities of metal.

Oh yeah, I always forget Mastodon because I don't like 'em.LOL

He mentioned Cult of Luna so I've recommended Neurosis and Isis. I think we're heading the right way now.Smile
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Most people who listen to more extreme forms of metal went through several gateway genres before reaching the most extreme end of the spectrum....hell I was once a major Bon Jovi fan Big smile and look at me now...

... oh oh Livin´ on a Prayer Cool

"Take my hand we'll make it I swear..."

Soundtrack to my summer of 1987/88. And then I discovered Iron Maiden.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:45am
Yeah and I discovered Metallica...and Justice for All Cool
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:48pm
Ah, I went So Far, So Good...So What! and THEN ...And Justice For All.Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:45pm
If he likes Cult of Luna already there's hundreds of atmosludge bands
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:59pm
Yeah, he didn't give me much to work with initially.LOL Knowing that opened up heaps of possibilities.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 8:26am
People often ask me what I listen to, and I find it really difficult to explain, if they don´t already have a pretty vast understanding of heavy metal and it´s many subgenres. If I said grind, death, thrash, and doom in here, most of you would already know just about where my preferences lie, although all those subgenres also have subgenres of their own, but at least you´d have a basic understanding of it. People at work and other random people I run into don´t have the understanding that heavy metal is anything else than the big bands they know, and even artists like Volbeat, Metallica, and Guns´n´Roses sound like noise to some people LOL. How could I even start to explain to them that there is a world of difference between an artist like Metallica and say for example an artists like Napalm Death. To them it most likely will sound like noise no matter what I put on Cool, so I´ve given up explaining to non-metal heads what I listen to. Only those showing a genuine interest are worth spending time on. The rest...oh well they don´t know what they are missing, and most are incapable of understanding.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 10:36pm
I had one job where we listened to music all day and my coworker didn't much like metal, oddly enough we listened to lots of The Ocean 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic