MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vocalist Polls, Week 8: Black Sabbath

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is the best vocalist of this artist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [52.94%]
5 [29.41%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vocalist Polls, Week 8: Black Sabbath
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:44pm
Last week's vocalist poll fell a bit flat, so I guess most of you didn't know the artist (your loss Evil Smile ). So this week we're going big: Black Sabbath. I originally was going to avoid the big acts, but maybe the results here won't just be a pile of votes for Ozzy. 

You have five choices from across Black Sabbath's many studio albums. 

Ozzy Osbourne (1969-1977, 1978-1979, 1997-2006, 2011-2017)
Ronnie James Dio (1979-1982, 1991-1992)
Ian Gillan (1983-1984)
Glenn Hughes (1985-1986)
Tony Martin (1987-1991, 1992-1997)
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:51pm
Ronnie, every day of the week. Sabbath created great songs with Ozzy in the band, but the Ronnie era created the best two albums. Dio is better technically, and I think he collaborated better with Tony and to a lesser extent Geezer. The band couldn't have created songs like Heaven and Hell or Sign of the Southern Cross with Ozzy. And Live Evil is a beast of a live album too.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 12:27am
Ian Gillan.

While if he would've stayed Deep Purple may not have returned with the amazing Perfect Strangers, I do wish Gillan stayed with the band. Born Again is raw, dark, heavy, and exploding with an attitude that Sabbath could only get with a screamer like Gillan. Also, him singing the Ozzy and Dio-era songs are amazing, I would listen to a re-recording of their entire discography with his vocals.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 2:12am
I like Dio and Martin in Black Sabbath, but it´s Ozzy all the way for me. He is not a particularly technically skilled vocalist, but his voice and singing style are unique.

I never felt that neither Gillian nor Hughes had any place in Black Sabbath. Both are great vocalists, but for other types of music.

Edited by UMUR - 14 May 2022 at 2:12am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 2:50am
I’m struggling with this. Ozzy is the classic (not classical😁) Sabbath vocals with a distinct sound. Dio was awesome and technically perfect. Martin and Hughes were both very decent and I agree with Khaliq’s assessment on the unfairly derided and a little bit brilliant Gillan. Can I vote for them all?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 6:11am
I've voted for Glenn Hughes on the basis that he's my favourite singer of the bunch. The one and only album he sang on (Seventh Star) was very underated and originally intended as an Iommi solo album. Having said that whilst all those vocalists are technically better than Ozzy his first era with the band is the most essential run of albums in their history....followed by the Dio years.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I've voted for Glenn Hughes on the basis that he's my favourite singer of the bunch. The one and only album he sang on (Seventh Star) was very underated and originally intended as an Iommi solo album. Having said that whilst all those vocalists are technically better than Ozzy his first era with the band is the most essential run of albums in their history....followed by the Dio years.

Seventh Star was the first Sabbath album I ever got, from the bargain bin no less, not realising the back story. I loved the title track and one of the other songs (can't remember which one) but otherwise couldn't understand the hype around Black Sabbath.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:15pm
Ozzy all the way

best records and best vocals
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 4:36am
Dio, though Ozzy deserves recognition as the singer of Black Sabbath. Dio is technically better though. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:17am
Much as I love the Dio, Hughes and Gillan releases (and enjoy the Martin ones), I'll have to go with Ozzy.
SilentScream213 View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilentScream213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 7:28pm
Disregarding the music and era, Tony is my favorite Sabbath vocalist. Unfortunately he got stuck on some of their worst albums, but Tyr is a hidden masterpiece.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 11:53am
Ozzy is too classic not to vote for. Others, Dio most of all, are technically better singers though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic