Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unpopular Metal Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unpopular Metal Opinions
    Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:41pm
Like r/unpopularopinion on Reddit, but specific to metal. What's something to do with metal that you have an unpopular opinion over?

Mine: Burzum's Filosofem is one of the worst albums ever made (in black metal or otherwise) and the rest of Varg's work is not much better. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Like r/unpopularopinion on Reddit, but specific to metal. What's something to do with metal that you have an unpopular opinion over?

Mine: Burzum's Filosofem is one of the worst albums ever made (in black metal or otherwise) and the rest of Varg's work is not much better. 

Not unpopular with me, but definitely is in the wider world.

Hmm... Let's go with:

The Number of The Beast is way overrated and is one of Iron Maiden's weaker albums.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The Number of The Beast is way overrated and is one of Iron Maiden's weaker albums.

I may have said the same once, with the caveat that I still really liked it all the same.

Over time though, I've come to regard it fully up to its hype. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:31pm
For me, I guess I have a few:

Most people here know my feelings on Slayer, but that's probably my most unpopular opinion regarding metal: Slayer really isn't all that great. Granted, my experience with Slayer stretches to only a few albums and I have some small appreciation for certain songs, but that's just my point: the really great, memorable songs are few and far between. Reign in Blood only has two of them. 

Max Cavalera is one of metal's most overrated figures. I mentioned this recently in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here. His shadow has hung over Sepultura for years even when Igor was still in the band, causing everything they released to just be written off as 'not Max. Meh' for years. Max Cavalera, whose last album with them was fucking Roots, which as a secondary part of this unpopular opinion, is a pretty terrible record. 

One I'm not as strong about having only just started to form it, but: Megadeth plats heavy metal better than they do thrash metal. Going through their discography at the moment, trying to properly get some experience with the band at last, and after listening to Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia I feel pretty strong than these are stronger albums than the earlier ones. 

Eluveitie's best album (that I've heard) isn't one of their metal ones. They were quite prominent for a folk metal act in the late 2000s/early 2010s, but I never really felt the hype. Then they made Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion, a pure folk album, and it was really good. They always did need to let Anna Murphy sing more and I also can't bring myself to give a toss about that band now's she's left them. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:08am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Max Cavalera is one of metal's most overrated figures. I mentioned this recently in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here. His shadow has hung over Sepultura for years even when Igor was still in the band, causing everything they released to just be written off as 'not Max. Meh' for years. Max Cavalera, whose last album with them was fucking Roots, which as a secondary part of this unpopular opinion, is a pretty terrible record. 

Yes yes YES. Derek Green (and even other brazilian vocalists, like Claustrofobia's Marcus D'angelo) are way better than Max. Derek only got better over the years! And Roots is the most overrated metal album EVER!

My unpopular metal opinion: Pantera is another ultra overrated band. Phil Anselmo is a great vocalist, Dimebag was a great guitar player but Pantera never really excited me. 

Guns'N'Roses, good band but not great, too much pretentiousness that didn't deliver.

And finally, Dream Theater is NOT, but any stretch, the best prog metal out there.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 1:39pm
One I just thought of this morning:

Modern death metal is unlistenable bollocks.

I was listening to an old Pungent Stench song this morning, and it had an infectious groove (yeah, pun intended) running through it. In modern death metal however, that groove is missing. 

Instead, all the focus is on brutality and technicality, and it's just a fucking chore to listen to. OK, you can play 11/4 polyrhythmic scales or whatever, I'm impressed, but please write a fucking SONG! I simply can't get into bands like Ulcerate because of this.

Bring the fucking music back to death metal!

(And no, not by going "melodic". That's another whine for another day!)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 2:42am
^ this is one of the reasons that the only death metal I listen to is Death and Bolt Thrower LOL

My unpopular opinion is that death metal & grindcore growls are awful.  Black metal style harsh vocals are so much better.  Same with whatever Aaron Turner's singing style is called.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 4:04pm
I'll join Bruno with the comment regarding Dream Theater. I love prog but I find Dream Theater unbelievably dull and uninspiring.

My most unpopular opinion is probably that I find Metallica very overrated in (there's a couple of tracks I love but for the most part, I could happily not bother listening to them).
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

^ this is one of the reasons that the only death metal I listen to is Death and Bolt Thrower LOL

My unpopular opinion is that death metal & grindcore growls are awful.  Black metal style harsh vocals are so much better.  Same with whatever Aaron Turner's singing style is called.

I'm probably the opposite. I find screechy black metal vocals highly off-putting. It's probably because I started with death metal.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 4:22pm
I have too many to list, but maybe the most unpopular:

Iron Maiden is overrated, Somewhere in Time was their last great album (and best album), and Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:34am
Another one: Randy Rhoads is overrated. I never understood all the hype
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 3:45pm
I have to agree somewhat. I wonder if some of the hype around Rhoads was to do with his spectacular untimely death? 

I've always just left the guitar player hype thing to musicians. I have no clue how good or bad they are, I just go by what sounds good! And while he might well have been a musical prodigy, those first two Ozzy albums he was on just aren't as good as most of Ozzy-era Sabbath or any Dio-era Sabbath, and I've never thought to mention it out loud before.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:35pm
Quiet Riot-era Rhoads > Ozzy-era Rhoads

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

those first two Ozzy albums he was on just aren't as good as most of Ozzy-era Sabbath or any Dio-era Sabbath, and I've never thought to mention it out loud before.

This, totally. 

I think he would grow up more as a guitar player over the years, but we will never know Cry
SilentScream213 View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilentScream213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 7:26pm
For me... I'd say most 70's metal is really boring. Sin After Sin is the only album from that era I consider truly great.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:38am
Originally posted by SilentScream213 SilentScream213 wrote:

For me... I'd say most 70's metal is really boring. Sin After Sin is the only album from that era I consider truly great.

That's what I found recently looking at the old Black Sabbath albums. There were good songs, but the albums didn't necessarily work well as albums. Metal has always been album music to me, rather than just a collection of singles or songs, and Judas Priest seemed to get that. I think Overkill and Bomber by Motorhead also work well.
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 3:19pm
I'll weigh in. 

Iron Maiden: first two Dianno albums are UNDERRATED; TNOTB, POM and Powerslave are properly rated, everything after is OVERRATED. 

Randy Rhoads guitar work has never been matched since. He was truly unique and original. The two albums with Ozzy rank as high as ANY Black Sabbath albums. 

Dream Theater - like many bands was creative and original to start with but since Scenes From A Memory have simply been regurgitating same ideas to ever dwindling success. 

Any band that uses growling vocals is unlistenable to me.  Seriously, Opeth's music sounds really great, but the growling vocals just make it a non-starter for me.  And the songs without growling vocals seem...dull?  To be fair bc the growling vocals kill me am not very familiar with the catalog. 

Mike Patton is the most accomplished vocalist who's ever tackled metal - but you can say that about him and many genres of music. 

Guns and Roses are and always were a decent but not great rock band.  Axl's vocals sound pretty shitty looking back. 

Judas Priest's most popular albums, Screaming For Vengeance and Defender's of the Faith, are among their worst. However, their entire catalog is a staggering library of consistent metal. 

Queensryche's run in the 80's was an innovative and high quality metal as you'll find. 

Virtually every metal band owes a debt to Rush. 

Soundgarden is a band I feel like I should like more but any time I start listening to them I soon find myself wanting to listen to something else.  

James Maynard Keynes side projects (A Perfect Circle and Pucifer) have been more interesting than his Tool stuff for since Lateralus. 

Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by MrMan2000 MrMan2000 wrote:

I'll weigh in. 

Soundgarden is a band I feel like I should like more but any time I start listening to them I soon find myself wanting to listen to something else.  

I like many individual tracks, but I don't feel consistency in their albums. Maybe I need to listen more to Soundgarden.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 11:20pm
Unpopular opinon 1: I like Judas Priest's cover version of 'Johnny B. Goode'

Unpopular opinion 2: The two Ripper-fronted albums are quite good - they're even better than a couple of Halford-fronted ones.

Unpopular opinion 3: 'In Search of Sanity' is the best Onslaught album (the others are good too).

Unpopular opinion 4: John Corabi is a much better singer than Vince Neal, and the Corabi-fronted self-titled album is my favorite Crüe album.

Unpopular opinion 5: It's okay to like glam AND thrash metal.

Unpopular opinion 6: 'Battle vest'/'battle jacket' is a stupid name, and a lot of the things we metalheads do and say are actually kinda dumb too (like saying 'Hails' as a greeting or calling eath other 'brother').

Unpopular opinion 7: I'm not really a Cannibal Corpse fan (don't dislike them, just never really got interested in them)

Unpopular opinion 8: I like 'Necroticism' better than 'Reek of Putrefaction' and 'Symphonies of Sickness'.

Unpopular opinion 9: Manowar became a joke decades ago, and I have no interest in them anymore.

Unpopular opinion 10: There's no such thing as true metal or false metal

Unpopular opinion 11: 'St. Anger' isn't that bad.

Unpopular opinion 12: I like the four last Death albums better than the first three ines (but I do like the first three ones).

Unpopular opinion 13: Elitism and gatekeeping in metal is stupid, and there should be just as much room for, say, people of color, women, trans people, and gay people as there is for sweaty white guys in the metal fan community, and it's really annoying that a lot of metal elitists have injected talking points from the American culture wars into their gatekeeping. Fuck those assholes!

Unpopular opinion 14: While not a big fan of these genres, they're still metal: nu metal, alternative metal, metalcore, deathcore and gothic metal.

Unpopular opinion 15: Some of the Tony Marting fronted Sabbath albums are better than some of the Ozzy fronted ones.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:07am
^ I definitely agree w/ some of those, in particular #'s 1, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, and 14.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic