Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1916, March Or Die, Bastards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1916, March Or Die, Bastards
    Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:11pm
I was just listening to 1916 because it's ANZAC Day today (NZ and Oz version of Armistice Day), and I got to thinking how much I love this trio of Motorhead albums. 1916 seems to get plenty of love, but the other two don't seem to often get a mention.

Anyway, I love 1916. It came along four years after Rock and Roll, which was the biggest gap between albums in Motorhead's entire existence, largely due to record label fuckwittery. I don't think there's a bad track on it, and the title track is such a spine-tingling anti-war anthem. Funnily enough, the most played song from the album on Spotify is the power ballad Love Me Forever. It has more than twice the listens of R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
MOTÖRHEAD - 1916 cover

March Or Die is not quite as good. There was no Philthy on drums. Still, there's some absolute rockers on this album, like first track Stand. There's a great cover of Cat Scratch Fever, the co-written with Ozzy Hellraiser (still the superior version), and some more creative balladry in I Ain't No Nice Guy. Final track March Or Die is a meaner, more detached take on the militaristic anti-war closer like 1916.
MOTÖRHEAD - March ör Die cover

Bastards has some classic tracks like On Your Feet Or On Your Knees, Death Or Glory, and the anthemic Born To Raise Hell. It also has the utterly spine chilling Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me. This is the first album to feature Mikkey Dee as Motorhead's permanent drummer, where he stayed until 2015.
MOTÖRHEAD - Bastards cover

1916 was the first Motorhead studio album I bought (I had the two No Sleep... live albums and the No Remorse compilation), and after Bastards it was many years before I could even fucking FIND another new Motorhead album, possibly due to record label problems. I think these three albums represent a rennaissance for a band which could very easily have folded due to shit being just too hard, could have rested on their laurels and traded off the reputation of the earlier albums, or could have just faded into irrelevance. Instead, Motorhead seemed to pick up steam starting with this period, building a strong and very loyal following as they went.

What's everyone else think of these albums?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 6:16am
Motorhead is one of those bands I know much less about than I feel I should. I have just one album of theirs, The World is Yours, which was given away in its entirety for free on a magazine here. I've not even heard any other Motorhead album in full, not even Ace of Spades. I only know one other track off that album by virtue of it being in Brutal Legend. 

I should add them to my list of bands to give a proper exploration to. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:28am
Motörhead have several great albums in their vast discography, and many solid ones too. Of the three choices I have to go with 1916, which IMO is one of the strongest releases in their entire discography. I like the two other albums too (especially Bastards which is a really strong album too), but I think both feature a couple of filler tracks which drag them down a bit compared to 1916.

Other favorites of mine when it comes to Motörhead albums are:

MOTÖRHEAD - Overkill cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/motorhead/overkill
MOTÖRHEAD - Another Perfect Day cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/motorhead/another-perfect-day
MOTÖRHEAD - Orgasmatron cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/motorhead/orgasmatron
MOTÖRHEAD - We Are Motörhead cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/motorhead/we-are-motorhead

My concert list on RYM says I´ve seen them 6 times:

(7th of October 1995) KB-Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark
(11th of March 1997) Store VEGA, Copenhagen, Denmark
(9th of November 1999) KB-Hallen, Copenhagen Denmark - Monsters of the Millennium
(15th of November 2000) Store VEGA, Copenhagen, Denmark
(9th of December 2008) Store VEGA, Copenhagen, Denmark
(6th of June 2009) Den Grå Hal, Copenhagen, Denmark

...every time a blast.

Edited by UMUR - 27 Apr 2022 at 9:31am
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:05am
Motorhead's later albums are pretty awesome too, being Inferno a favorite of mine!

And I like 1916, need to listen March or Die and Bastards, which was made as a quartet, right?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 12:16pm
I don't think they were officially in any sort of order with a purpose in mind, but these three albums just seem to go together to me. The next album Sacrifice was the last with Wurzel on guitar, and then after that it was Lemmy, Phil Campbell, and Mikkey Dee all the way.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:14pm
^Sacrifice is great too. I like that one.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Motorhead's later albums are pretty awesome too, being Inferno a favorite of mine!

Inferno is a favourite of mine too. Their best album if you take away the 70's and 80's classics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic