MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Create A Realistic Big 4 For A Different Sub-Genre
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Create A Realistic Big 4 For A Different Sub-Genre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Create A Realistic Big 4 For A Different Sub-Genre
    Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:25am
Here's the challenge: you have to create a Big 4 metal bands for any sub-genre of your choice except thrash, but it has to be realistic. The real big 4 of thrash appeared in the genre's heyday, most of them starting in the same year (two years later for Megadeth). They all also released their debut studio albums between 1983-1985. Just some things to consider when picking your artists. 

Please justify your choices of the four artists in order to create discussion. 

I'm going to start with an easy one. Black Metal.

Mayhem 
Burzum 
Darkthrone
Immortal 

Burzum and Immortal both released their debut studio albums in 1992. Darkthrone began life as death metal but released their first black metal album the same year. Mayhem didn't drop their first proper studio album until 1994, which isn't surprising given the history of that band, but as the act credited as the originators, you've got to have them. 

Emperor could alternately get a spot in this Big 4. I was torn between them and Immortal, but ultimately I went with Immortal more because I know their music better. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:46am
I'll grab the other easy one - death metal:

Death
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Cannibal Corpse

Death is like the Metallica of death metal. Maybe not strictly the first, but they popularised the genre, and everyone wanted to be like them. And the band's sound evolved through it's existence. 

Morbid Angel is more like Slayer - more occult, darker, and highly influential. If their luck had been better, they could have had a first album out before Death (see Abominations of Desolation). Uncompromising all the way through.

Obituary is like the Anthrax of death metal, with focus on big chunky riffs, had an incredible vocalist, dabbled with rap, and later dropped away. Unlike Anthrax though, Obituary was the biggest selling band of the genre for a time.

Cannibal Corpse isn't really like Megadeth, unless you consider them having a core membership (Paul Mazurkiewicz and Alex Webster) with a revolving door membership. Anyway, they took death metal to new heights, and are now the most commercially successful band in the genre.

And just like the Big Four of thrash forgets about Germany (Kreator, Sodom, Destruction), death metal forgets Sweden - Entombed, Dismember, Grave
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:29am
Power Metal:

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Rage
Running Wild

All German bands starting in the mid to late 1980s. All originally played speed metal and helped to evolve the genre into power metal, releasing their first bona fide power metal albums between 1987-1990. 

Two other bands of note that were not quite well known to qualify would be Scanner and Heavens Gate.

Grave Digger were around this same time, but originally played heavy metal and did not turn to power metal until 1993, so they couldn't be included even if they belong to the same wider group of bands today.

Gamma Ray could also scrape an honourable mention but I think Kai Hansen's contributions are well covered with Helloween. 

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 8:54am
Melvins, Neurosis, Eyehategod, Crowbar Cool
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:07am
^Agreed 100% on the sludge

Melvins as an originator, Eyehategod and Crowbar as genre solidifiers and Neurosis as the major developer into atmospheric realms.

Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:09am
I would have preferred to put Acid Bath over Crowbar, but can't deny the influence 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm going to start with an easy one. Black Metal.

Mayhem 
Burzum 
Darkthrone
Immortal 

I wish Bathory had made more albums in the style of Under the Sign of the Black Mark so they could be here instead of Mayhem LOL

could do proto-black list: Venom, Bathory, Mayhem, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost 

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 22 Apr 2022 at 11:19am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
I was trying to think of a grindcore Big 4, but it's a bit trickier as to whether to go for influence or popularity. Whichever way, Napalm Death always comes first. Without them, grindcore as we know it doesn't exist.

Popularity:
Napalm death
Carcass
Brutal Truth
Terrorizer

Influence:
Napalm Death
Carcass
Repulsion
Agathocles

Grindcore precursors:
Discharge
GBH
Doom
Anti-Cimex
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:52pm
100% agree on the sludge as well.

Nu Metal:

Korn
Limp Bizkit
Deftones
Slipknot

I think these four bands are a decent combination of popularity, influence, and showing some of the main facets of the genre. The originators and groove side, the hip hop side, the atmospheric side, and the extreme side. Even though there's more directions, these are the main base sounds.

Stoner:

Kyuss
Monster Magnet
Fu Manchu
Clutch

These are probably the main major 90's bands on the non-doom end of the 70's metal revival. If talking the doom end, Sleep and Cathedral would obviously be in there.

Edited by Unitron - 22 Apr 2022 at 9:54pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Stoner:

Kyuss
Monster Magnet
Fu Manchu
Clutch

These are probably the main major 90's bands on the non-doom end of the 70's metal revival. If talking the doom end, Sleep and Cathedral would obviously be in there.

Motorpsycho maybe, they started off very much in that vein
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:23pm
If just talking favorites I'd definitely put them in there, I love their first two albums. I don't know if they'd fit in a "big 4" though, their stuff after that went all over the place in terms of sound.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:13am
Swedish death metal:

Entombed
Dismember
Grave
Unleashed
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:18am
Dutch death metal:

Pestilence
Asphyx
Gorefest
Sinister
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:25am
German death metal:

Atrocity
Morgoth
Fleshcrawl
...I actually can´t come up with a number four, so I´ll pick a personal favorite in Incubator.

The Germans were never that influential on the death metal scene.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 2:35am
Early British Metal:

Black Sabbath
Budgie
Rainbow
Judas Priest

A slightly wider time period ranging from 1970 to 1976. The latter two acts were more firmly in the hard rock camp at first, but made ground-breaking albums as their second releases. Together they spearheaded the genre into the NWoBHM. 

If we opened it up to not just British, I guess we'd have to sub one act for Sir Lord Baltimore at the very least. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:18am
Alternative metal:

Faith No More
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Helmet
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 3:32am
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

Alternative metal:

Faith No More
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Helmet

What about Rage Against the Machine instead of Helmet?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:13am
^Would be a worthy addition for sure.

I favoured Helmet down to personal choice but each were massively influential

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:15pm
alt metal big 4 has gotta include Primus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic