Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate Festival Line Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate Festival Line Up
    Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 12:58pm
Imagine you could organise your ultimate festival line up. For example, a one day festival where you could choose the artists and the order in which they appear. Probably go for a max of 7 artists - doesn't have to be metal-exclusive.

I have been giving this some thought after thinking back to some great line-ups I have seen over the years.

I would like to see the following with headliner at the top - cop out with the headliner but I've seen them 6 times and they've never failed to leave me speechless...

Iron Maiden
Mastodon
Gojira
Meshuggah
Gorguts
Crowbar
Torche

Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:30pm
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing that line-up^. Several of those bands I've seen several times and I'd love to see them again.

I'll have a think about who I'd want if there were only seven artists. I'll change the below but as a starter (all major players - I could name obscure acts I'm not sure are still touring but folk'd probably not have heard of them LOL:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Crowbar
Converge
Trivium
System Of A Down
My Dying Bride

BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:34pm
^would love to see System

I could make several lists similar to the above but was trying to go for a showstopper and adding Torche in as the obligatory easy going and fun opening band.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 1:42pm
Torche would be a good show šŸ˜šŸ‘
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 2:05pm
IĀ“d go for Iron Maiden too as headliner, as they always bring the show.

so itĀ“s

Iron Maiden
Meshuggah
Pantera
Slayer
Down
Corrosion of Conformity
Suffocation

Yup IĀ“d attend that festival...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 4:05pm
I know I'm an oddity, but the whole festival setup doesn't appeal to me.

Regardless, assuming that it would be at least a two day festival, then I'd have to have Iron Maiden headline one night and Blind Guardian the other.

From my limited knowledge of live bands, I'd also want Paradise Lost there, and Arch Enemy seem to always put on an energetic show. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm
I just want to go to the Obscene Extreme festival in Czechia. I don't care what year it is, they always have a heap of good bands, and it looks like the most fun festival ever in any video I've ever seen of it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 9:47pm
Y2K Heaven:

The Chemical Brothers
Underworld
Korn
Limp Bizkit
The Crystal Method
The Mad Capsule Markets
Bentley Rhythm Ace

Sludgefest:
Crowbar
Obituary (Playing World Demise in its entirety)
Down
Floor
Cavity
Torche
DJ Rozwell

Edited by Unitron - 21 Apr 2022 at 9:48pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I just want to go to the Obscene Extreme festival in Czechia. I don't care what year it is, they always have a heap of good bands, and it looks like the most fun festival ever in any video I've ever seen of it.

Yeah youĀ“re right, IĀ“ve seen clips too, and itĀ“s looks like a lot of fun.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:28am
Best metal line up I've seen was in Warsaw in 2010 at Sonisphere.

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Behemoth
Frontline

Another great non-metal one was in Glasgow in 2003 (The main 3 bands were promoting some really good albums at the time but I was sadly too young [13] to fully appreciate it - looking back at the set-lists, I missed out on some serious stuff)

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age
PJ Harvey
The Distillers
Electric Six

Edited by BitterJalapeno - 22 Apr 2022 at 10:29am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:22am
every time I've seen High on Fire it's been the best concert ever, so something involving them for sure

I think bands like Converge, Yob, Grin, Old Man Gloom would be a good fit. Triptykon? Boris? Maybe Darkthrone based on their last album (not that they ever play live, but God I wish I could see them)... does Yakuza still play?

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 22 Apr 2022 at 11:31am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:27pm
Actually, I've only ever been to one festival. They are a bit scarce here in New Zealand, and the one's we do get hold absolutely zero interest to me anyway. The festival I went to was called Burning In The Light, and it was at what was Lancaster Park in 1997 (since demolished due to earthquakes). This is all tied up with rugby (story time!).

In 1995, rugby went professional. In 1996 the Super Rugby competition started, and meant night games, but Canterbury didn't have lights at Lancaster Park. That first year they would wheel in cranes with flood lights on them. So they needed to build floodlights for the stadium. The lights got built. So what do you do when you've got lights all of a sudden, but the rugby season hasn't started? Why, have a music festival to show them off of course! So we got this festival. I think the original intention was to create something like the Big Day Out, which they had in Auckland but not down in the South Island. Here was the line-up:

Garageland - fairly decent rock band which took it's name from The Clash song. I got to interview the singer a couple of years later, and he was a thoroughly good dude.

Hawaii Five-O - I don't remember this band at all!

Headless Chickens - dark electro-rock band that had scandalised people in the 80s by winning some mainstream music award when no one in the mainstream had heard of the band. Since then, they had a massive hit single with a new singer, and I'd seen them live before (the only time I ever tried stage diving, got dropped flat on my back, ended up going home with a psycho chick because I was slightly concussed, decided big bastards like me shouldn't try stage diving...)

Loves Ugly Children - Saw this band a lot. They played noisy melodic hardcore punk, and had supported NOFX when I saw them. Local legends.

Regurgitator - Aussie weirdos. Absolutely chaotic. You sort of didn't know what they would do next on stage.

Salmonella Dub - How to clear a mosh pit in 10 seconds flat. Yep, the pit basically emptied out and these boring farts played their wanky dancy-dub crap. They are still going and are considered legends of the New Zealand music scene now. I fucking hate them.

Shihad - Fucking went off live, as they always do. This was when they still fucking rocked hard. Had a great pit going, and I think they may have played a cover of Dead Kennedy's Police Truck? Can't remember...

Silverchair - The festival headliners. Oh god they were fucking terrible! Out of tune, out of time, and their sound got turned down halfway through their set. They played an awful cover of Minor Threat.

Rocket From the Crypt - Played after Silverchair. A lot of the annoying grunge kids had gone home after Silverchair, which suited me fine. I was completely fucked by this time, and RFTC were playing to a reduced crowd, but they fucking went off! Great band which I knew little about, and still haven't listened to enough to this day.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Regurgitator - Aussie weirdos. Absolutely chaotic. You sort of didn't know what they would do next on stage.

Love their early stuff, has an early Powerman 5000 vibe. Should be on here for their first couple EP's and some of their first album, but haven't had the patience to add with how much there is lol
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic