Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Best of Year 2021 Vote Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:00am
I'm trying to listen to at least one new release every day from this point. Lots of new albums I've overlooked this year. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

This year just like last has been great, tons of bangers. Especially with nu metal, and Kosmonaut's became a new grunge/stoner favorite.

@Colin and Mark, know of any good sludge for me to check out from this year?

Dridge - Curing

This kicks ass, I was at first half-hoping for a Floor cover with that title, but this is more than that. Reminds me of Obituary through a sludge filter, definitely listening to the rest of the album right now.

I'll check those other albums out too, I do like what I've heard of Darkthrone's more recent stuff, so I could see myself liking that.

the biggest problem I'm having this month is listening to anything other than Curing on repeat LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:13am
I´ve just listened to and reviewed:
BLOODKILL - Throne of Control cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/bloodkill/throne-of-control

Recommendable for fans of Death Angel...
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 1:43pm

This year just like last has been great, tons of bangers. Especially with nu metal, and Kosmonaut's became a new grunge/stoner favorite.

@Colin and Mark, know of any good sludge for me to check out from this year?

Dridge - Curing

This kicks ass, I was at first half-hoping for a Floor cover with that title, but this is more than that. Reminds me of Obituary through a sludge filter, definitely listening to the rest of the album right now.

I'll check those other albums out too, I do like what I've heard of Darkthrone's more recent stuff, so I could see myself liking that.

the biggest problem I'm having this month is listening to anything other than Curing on repeat LOL

Yeah, I love it, thanks for bringing it up! I just wish I knew about it sooner so I could've bought the vinyl on last Bandcamp Friday. I liked the Converge/Chelsea Wolfe album too, I hope they do more sludge stuff.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 4:36am
Got to say I'm really digging the new Mastodon album. The last two both took more than one listen to really appreciate, but this one is straight in at 4.5. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 5:04am
^ yeah I think it’s a really strong release.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:05pm
I haven't been able to get into anything Mastodon did since Crack the Skye
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:34pm
^I feel similarly. I do enjoy The Hunter but never been drawn back to the albums which followed. I plan to dedicate more time to the new one though as it was more interesting that the previous 2. I worship the first 4 albums.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

I worship the first 4 albums.

Same, Leviathan in particular is perfect
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:53pm
I'm severely lacking in the amount of 2021 releases that I've listened to. Gonna play catch up now w/ a lot I haven't.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 1:07pm

^I feel similarly. I do enjoy The Hunter but never been drawn back to the albums which followed.

+2

Blood Mountain's always been my favorite, struck a great balance between crushing sludge and some alt metal/stoner rock elements. The Hunter does have some bangers. I sampled some songs from the new album and I thought the production was so flat that I felt like I was listening to a pre-production demo.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:35am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/first-fragment/gloire-eternelle

Just played this one and I think it's a must for fans of prog/tech death metal. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:55pm
^ I heard the first few minutes of this after adding it the archives but I didn't have the time to listen further.  I always meant to revisit it and will do so tomorrow - thanks for reminding me.  I'm in too much of a Gentle Giant mood to try it tonight.

Front runners for so far me are Diskord and Aenigmatum - both should be interesting to fans of technical death metal.  The later in particular manages to project a brutal and dissonant sound while seamlessly slotting in the occassional catchy, melodic guitar riff before returning to the onslaught.

The Cognizance album is also worth a shot for anyone who likes solid, straight-up grunty death metal.

Edited by BitterJalapeno - 09 Dec 2021 at 3:04pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:22pm

I'm in too much of a Gentle Giant mood to try it tonight.

What a coincidence, I was just listening to Free Hand earlier today lol! I've been on a 70's kick.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:34pm

I'm in too much of a Gentle Giant mood to try it tonight.

What a coincidence, I was just listening to Free Hand earlier today lol! I've been on a 70's kick.

Brilliant album.  That's always the one I reccomend when trying to introduce people to Gentle Giant as it's a bit more approachable.  Octopus has take the number 1 spot for me.  I have the artwork framed in my bathroom haha. It's the only place in the flat she would allow it!  I tried to upload a photo of it but I'm getting some sort of error Unhappy

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:47pm
Usually that happens if the file is too big, I think the limit is something like 300kb. If you make it smaller and save it as a jpg it'll probably work. Love that album cover too, and would definitely frame a vinyl copy. I just have it on CD though.

If I had to pick, Free Hand is probably my favorite, but the two before it are very close. I love most of their stuff though, even the later albums have great songs. There will never be another band like them, such amazing songwriters and having some of the most beautiful songs out there. Closest another band comes to them was 10cc, which to me are the pop equivalent of GG in terms of songwriting style, sense of humor, and eclecticism.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 12:55pm
The 2nd half of Bishop's self-titled debut is some of the trippiest black metal I've heard.

The album started off reminding me of Celeste, and transformed into this hypnotic industrial horror music. A bit like Lord Mantis meets Thorns.  Also for fans of Darkspace & Bezmir.  Awesome

edit:  come to think of it, side A reminds me more of Indian than Celeste

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 10 Dec 2021 at 9:02pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 5:41am
Okay, here's what I'm working with so far. Willing to take any recs you wanna throw my way. Most of these have been played only once so far so I expect a lot of primary ratings to change yet.

5/5:

Lovebites - Glory, Glory to the World (EP)
Mare Cognitum - Solar Paroxysm
Pharaoh - The Powers That Be

4.5/5

Aquilus - Bellum I
Darkthrone - Eternal Hails.....
Devil Electric - Godless
Epica - Omega
Esoctrilihum - Dy'th Requiem for the Serpent Telepath
Eternity's End - Embers of Ear
First Fragment - Gloire éternelle 
Helloween - Helloween
Iron Maiden - Senjutsu
Mastodon - Hushed and Grum
Obscura - A Valediction
Panopticon - ...and Again Into the Light
Spectral Lore - Ετερόφωτος
The Vintage Caravan - Monuments
Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (both versions but won't vote for as I don't see if as relevant enough)

4/5

Anna Pest - Dark Arms Reach Skyward With Bone White Fingers
Blazon Stone - Damnation
Crypta - Echoes of the Soul
Dream Theater - A View From the Top of the World
Forhist - Forhist
Nervosa - Perpetual Chaos
Paradox - Heresy II: End of a Legend
Project: Roenwolfe - Edge of Saturn
Rebellion - We Are the People
Running Wild - Blood on Blood
Skyliner - Dark Rivers, White Thunder
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst
The Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger (also won't vote for due to not seeing as relevant; they completely nerfed the metal elements that helped to define the first three NMB albums on this one)
The Ruins of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires
Ungfell - Es Grauet
Wizardthrone - Hybercube Necrodimensions
Wolfchant - Omega: Bestia

3.5/5

Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon: I (biggest growing potential I think)
Logistic Slaughter - Lower Forms of Life
Naitaka - Naitaka (EP)
Sonic Haven - Vagabond
Warmoon Lord - Battlespells

3/5

Dvne - Etemen Ænka
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 6:13am
^Well since the new Gojira is number one on my list this year, that would be a recommendation from me.

The Cryptosis album may also be of interest to you, and I´d recommed giving the new White Stones album a listen too.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:04am
^^2 late releases that I'm just getting into now are Unanimated - Victory In Blood sitting between melodic death and melodic black metal is excellent. Also Hypocrisy - Worship, very good melodeath. The former in particular might be of interest to you Adam and I'll 2nd Cryptosis that Jonas suggested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic