MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAndrew W.K. (United States)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andrew W.K. (United States)
    Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 9:23am
I don't think adding Andrew W.K. to MMA should be a problem. I Get Wet is usually classified as hard rock. Decibel Magazine notably put said album on their Best of 2000s list and was also notable for featuring Donald Tardy of Obituary on the drums. It's also one of the few albums on AllMusic that's filed under heavy metal to receive a perfect score, something the site rarely gives out.

But yeah, Andrew W.K.'s primary genre is hard rock as far as I know.

Link:
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/andrew-w_k
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4YJR4xviDKHoelt9WKHlBa?si=fc1317627084482e&nd=1

DISCLAIMER: Couldn't find any social media sites because Andrew W.K. deleted his socials.
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 9:54pm
Personally I agree, although I think it'll be a matter of taking this up with one of the people from the hard rock team. Honestly, I'm actually a bit surprised that he isn't on the site yet. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm
Alright, just forwarded your request to the hard rock team, so we'll see what they say Smile
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:30am
Hi, Andrew W.K. is provisionally approved for addition but we want to take the time to make sure we include him with the correct distribution between our sub-genres. I expect, just going by the genre votes on Rate Your Music, that he will need at least four different tags depending on the release. 

Unfortunately there hasn't been time to conduct this review yet. The only way to do is to go through his work with a fine-toothed comb (Hard Rock being a sensitive genre on MMA) and that takes time. 

He hasn't been forgotten though. 
goflotsam View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:11pm
I just checked on RYM, Andrew W.K.'s first three albums plus You're Not Alone (2018) have been tagged with hard rock as a primary genre. Additionally, God Is Partying (2021) has been tagged with heavy metal as its primary.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
We know. We just want to make sure that when we add him (and there's very little chance that we won't) that it's done right. Not every addition is easy and can be placed in one sub-genre. 

The 2021 album looks to be his most obvious way to be included, providing the RYM tags are correct. They aren't always, something we've found out the hard way before. Until one of us has some free time to check out his discography, we won't be able to say for sure.

Please also be aware that to pass as Hard Rock on MMA the release must be around the ballpark of 60-65% acceptable material. Most of these albums with Hard Rock primary are paired with Power Pop, an unacceptable genre. We need to ascertain whether or not those albums pass for Hard Rock or which may instead be suitable for Metal Related (a sub we hope one day will be renamed to Metal Related Rock). He will definitely have some releases placed as Non-Metal and once we also consider the singles, his tag count may even cover US Power Metal as well, just using what RYM says. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 2:43pm
Well it's taken us a while but Andrew W.K. is now here - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/andrew-wk

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:29pm
Thread now locked as per site policy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic