Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for movies with ironic endings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for movies with ironic endings
    Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 5:00am
I'm looking for a few (about five) movies with an ironic ending for a List Challenge I'm putting together. I've got five already and want at least ten to post. Possibly also do an article for my lists subreddit, for which I'd give co-credit to anyone who provides me with a movie I use.

With a spoiler warning, these are the five I already have to give an idea of what I'm looking for:

The Wages of Fear (1953) - the main character undertakes a perilous journey to delivery explosives only to get cocky after the job is done and die in a car crash on the return trip.

High Noon (1952) - In the end Gary Cooper gets saved by his Quaker wife.

The Mist (2007) - Out of despair of their situation, the father kills everyone else in the car, including his kid. The army roles up looking for people who need help pretty much immediately after.

The Usual Suspects (1995) - The cops let Kint go only to then realise he's actually Keyser Soze.

Vertigo (1958) - Kim Novak falls to her death after previously faking falling to her death in the exact same location.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:13am
U Turn (1997) and Purple Noon (1960). The Talented Mr. Ripley is the remake of Purple Noon. It will also do. They have really ironic and shocking endings.

There should be a lot more, but the ones that first pop into my mind should be the most striking ones. Thumbs Up
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:21am
As for some (other) foreign movies...

If you're interested in Spanish movies, they are very good at that.

La cara oculta, Contratiempo, El cuerpo are all incredible, in this regard.

La migliore offerta (Italy) - A slow burner, but PERFECT. It has one of the most powerful endings in a movie ever.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:50am
what was that crappy movie where the family thinks they are hiding from zombies in a bunker, but they are actually the infected one?

edit: Hidden (2015).  I checked my movie ratings sorted by lowest LOL

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 17 Oct 2021 at 11:02am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:00am
^ Doesn't sound familiar. 

The Others would qualify as a similar thing where the family thinks their home is haunted but are actually the ghosts. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 12:41am
Well that would be The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable too then.

The Italian Job maybe?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 12:47am
Have thought of another one, which should have come to me sooner, since I only recently watched it: Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

The guys spend most of the film desperately trying to get the money to make back money, but have the two valuable guns in their possession that the guy they owe wants more than anything the whole time, and the film ends with them trying to get rid of them off a bridge. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 3:59pm
I've never seen that. Will add it to my to-watch list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic