Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Per Wilberg leaves Opeth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Per Wilberg leaves Opeth
    Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 2:33pm

"Keyboardist Per Wiberg has been relieved of his duties in Opeth as part of a mutual decision with the band. Keyboard duties on upcoming tours will be handled by a musician who is already rehearsing with the band. Said musician�s identity will be released at a later date.

Vocalist/guitarist Mikael �kerfeldt released the following statement about the matter: �Well, it�s been somewhat of a revolving door of members during the last couple of years, and now, Per is no longer a member. Mendez, Axe and Fredrik and I came to the decision that we should find a replacement for Per right after the recordings of the new album, and this came as no surprise to Per. He had, in turn, been thinking about leaving, so you could say it was a mutual decision. There�s no bad blood, just a relationship that came to an end, and that�s that. We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording with Opeth.�

Opeth remain hard at work on their next album, which follows up 2008�s critically acclaimedWatershed.  The album is due out this Fall on Roadrunner Records."

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 2:48pm
That stinks, but it is good to hear they're putting out a new album Tongue

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 3:02pm
Hmmm...

I shouldn't really be surprised by Opeth lineup changes. LOL

I'm wondering if they are going to have keys on this album or not.  I guess there will be some since they are going to find a replacement after doing the album, unless that's just to fill out their sound on tour and to do some older material.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Hmmm...

I'm wondering if they are going to have keys on this album or not.  I guess there will be some since they are going to find a replacement after doing the album, unless that's just to fill out their sound on tour and to do some older material.

Wilberg has already recorded his parts for the new album.
Inexistence is the true normality.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:05pm
Disapprove
At least the new album is still on track! Thumbs Up
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Hmmm...

Wilberg has already recorded his parts for the new album.

Did he?  This sentence made it seem as if Watershed was his last:

" We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording with Opeth"
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 12:40am
Yeah I think it sounded ambiguous too. Personally I hope they won�t include a new keyboard player. I really enjoy the tasteful keyboards on the last two albums and it was the right decision at the time, but I think one of the things that made Opeth such a unique act on albums like "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park", is that the epic sound is produced without keyboards.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 3:14am

Can we have at least Lopez back now. I can't see how they will do the "announced" move to prog/fusion with only very-metal musicians like Axe and Fredrik left Unhappy

"Announced" is between brackets as Mike can never be trusted with what he announces about his new albums.
For example, he always announces each new album as really brutal and heavier then ever, but each time it's less heavy and brutal.

So maybe the new one will be close to Bloodbath given the promise for less metallic material

Edited by bonnek - 07 Apr 2011 at 3:15am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 12:22pm
Meh, Wiberg was a brilliant part of the Opeth sound on the last albums. Ermm Guess things are gonna change again, and thankfully there hasn't really been a bad change yet. I like Axe, can't say much about Fredrik since I never know who's soloing. Thankfully he'll be there for the backup vox.
<- Click on this!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm
Indeed, very bad news. Now I'm even more worried about their new album Ermm As Karl has said, Mike is rather unreliable musician - in Lamentations documentary he's said something about black metal album by Opeth. Two years later GR came out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic