MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden: Early vs. Latter-Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you prefer early 'Maiden or latter-day 'Maiden?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [87.50%]
2 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Maiden: Early vs. Latter-Day
    Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:31am
I'm just curious. I prefer the latter-day stuff.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:35am
If you're really making me pick, then early. The first seven albums are one of the most incredible runs of albums from any band, ever. 

The latter day work from Brave New World is also an incredible run of albums in its own right though and I'm confident that the new one won't be the one to buck the trend. 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:18am
The early IM. Though, I'd include Fear of the Dark to that too. It was like the hangover of the party, but it was still pure Iron Maiden. Love The X Factor, like Virtual XI too. Brave New World is a powerful album too. Then... Dunno. They are still decent in their own right, I guess.

Edited by Shadowyzard - 15 Aug 2021 at 2:19am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:55am
I remain a huge Maiden fan but maybe because it’s what I grew up with, it’s the early days for me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 3:04am
I love the newer ones, but early. The 80s has Powerslave and Seventh Son, which have now firmly settled as my top 2 Iron Maiden albums. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 3:50am
Definitely early. I can listen to latter day Iron Maiden and enjoy it, but it´s never those albums I pick from my collection, when I get the craving for some Maiden. Number...to Seventh are the album period I´ll pick from.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:30am
Early for me too. The Book of Souls is the only later album to compete with their 80's classics, despite some fine albums.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:16am
I don't know how you can compare. Iron Maiden is amazingly consistent in quality but nothing competes with the first seven albums. In fact those seven albums are amongst the best metal albums of all time.

I just went through a marathon of the later 90s and on albums. I have to say that albums like Brave New World, Dance of Death and The Book of Souls are just shy of equal quality of the earliest albums and the rest (except the Bailey years) are really good as well.

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:49am
I kinda wish there was a "Both" option, tbh. I guess I probably would end up picking Early like basically everyone else, but it's clear the 90's was their worst period (as much as I'm weird and love The X Factor, lol), while everything else is generally brilliant. 

80's Maiden is pure traditional heavy metal at its absolute best, imo (though obviously with some prog leanings here and there), while 2000's Maiden is generally more epic and progressive, with some classic heavy metal in it, and I honestly think they're amazing at both styles.

Powerslave and Seventh Son are my two favorite albums by them, but I wouldn't say a single album from Brave New World onward has been less than a 4.5 star album for me (three of them have even been 5 stars) which is extremely impressive for a band who's been around that long. Senjutsu has a lot to live up to, coming off the insanely good Book of Souls, but I'm confident it won't disappoint.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:52am
Definitely early for me.

Like most others, I do enjoy the 2000s albums and listen occasionally. Although it's commendable how consistent these releases have been for such a seasoned band, I'll always reach for one of the first 7 first - usually albums 1, 5 or 7.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:54am
easiest choice ever
80s Maiden
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 12:52pm
Guess I'm a fish out of water LOL!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:15pm
first 5 for me and I never listen to anything else
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Guess I'm a fish out of water LOL!

If I'd been asked this some ten years or more ago, I may have actually said latter day. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 2:16pm
Can't chose. And I like the Blaze era albums too.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:10am
Can't choose. I like both eras equally well. Not as big a fan of their 90s output as I am of their 80s and their post-1999 output. It's not that I have a problem with Blaze Bayley or anything; I love Wolfsbane and I think his solo output is absolutely fantastic. I also think he does a very good job on 'The X Factor', the vocals being the highlight of that album for me. It's just that there are too many weak songs IMO on those albums (incl. the Fear of the Dark album... I mean the song 'Fear of the Dark' is great, but there are also 'Weekend Warrior' and 'The Apparition' which I just don't like).
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 1:09pm
I will choose the early days, because there are immortal classics of metal. But I really like their most recent output too, with longer songs with prog leanings.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:55am
Really enjoying the new one. Haven't made up my mind yet where it sits in terms of favourites but likely to be one of their best since Bruce came back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic