MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings All
    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 6:51pm
So, despite being a long-time reader, sometimes contributor to the Progressive Archives site I did not know this site existed. But then a sent a DM to someone on PA and they told me they now spend most of their time here and....here I am. 

Must admit, my metal credentials are shallow. I'm in my mid-50s of most of my "metal" knowledge stems from the late 70's / early 80's. I do enjoy a lot of "metal related" genres, I guess, and hard rock, etc. 

The band I'd strongly suggest adding to the site is UFO. [EDIT: see now I somehow missed them earlier when looking for them...so never mind!] While certainly not "metal" in any sense, they are hard rock and very influential on many metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and others. They are not on the Prog Archives site either, so UFO fans currently have nowhere to go to get that comprehensive, crowd-sourced insight that these sites provide. I mean, if Triumph can be included I certainly think there's room for UFO! :)

Can't suggest any corrections rights now because I haven't been on the site long. I would suggest adding the following boxsets to the Def Leppard entry:

The Collection: Volume One
The Early Years: 1979 to 1981

My favorite "metal" bands (most would fall under hard rock I think) would probably be (in no particular order):

Queensryche
Dream Theater
Tool
Judas Priest
The Sword
Triumph
Symphony X
Soundgarden
Riot
RATM
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Dio
Def Leppard (hey, listen to their first two albums!)
Deep Purple
Blue Oyster Cult
Van Halen
Alice in Chains
System of a Down

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. 

Anyway, Prog Arch is an absolute go-to site for me (I'm a bigger prog fan than metal fan) and I'm super excited about finding out some of the good folks that established that site have also created a metal music site.  You guys all rock! :)

I actually started dabbling on YouTube recently with music-related content so, if you get the itch, I'd love for you to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg

Oh, one last thing. If you want to find me on the PA site I'm under..."MrMan2000" there as well. 

Edited by MrMan2000 - 12 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:36pm
Welcome MrMan2000! Always good to see new names.

Erm, I'm probably the least prog-oriented person here...LOL I generally gravitate to the heavier end of things too, but I can't disown my 80s metal roots.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:16am
Welcome!

I have spent many an evening trawling ProgArchives myself.

My main prog tastes lie within the classic 70s era but when it comes to progressive metal, I very much lean to the more extreme side for some reason.

I'm sure you will enjoy the site and find it useful.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:22am
Welcome! 

It's such a shame how few on PA seem to even know we're here. Glad you've found us!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:31am
Welcome MrMan2000. It’s good to have you here. Being mid-50s myself I also share a similar background to you with those 70s and 80s bands and have a love of prog, although I’ve found many different bands and styles to enjoy since hanging out in this gaff.
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Welcome MrMan2000. It’s good to have you here. Being mid-50s myself I also share a similar background to you with those 70s and 80s bands and have a love of prog, although I’ve found many different bands and styles to enjoy since hanging out in this gaff.

Yeah, I like a lot of different stuff.  I'll listen to alt country or jazz or pop. Do tend to prefer older music. I've figured out that when it's made with machines, as opposed to people actually playing musical instruments, it rarely works for me. I can appreciate a lot of modern music and understand why others might like it (and there is quite a bit I enjoy) but I guess I'm just getting old.  Now get off my yard! 
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:56am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:05am
Welcome to MMA. Nice to see you here Tongue. Even for music fans who are mainly interested in prog, there are still limits to what PA has to offer, and MMA (and the jazz related sister site JMA: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/), have other things to offer. 

I know most of the artists you list and a couple are among my favorites too (at least some of their releases), but like Patrick (Vim Fuego) I´m probably mostly interested in the harder edged genres of metal (thrash, grind, death, doom, and secondary black).

Although I´m often in disagreement with how PA is run, and I seldom visit JMA, all three sites are pretty damn brilliant if you ask me. PA is without a doubt the greatest progressive rock database and review site on the web, and I haven´t seen anything like JMA either. MMA has lots of compitition though, but one of our greatest assets is our inclusiveness (and how friendly we are Cool). We don´t just include what we think is "real" metal, but try and listen to what the general opinion on an artist is before we add them (if they are a borderline case...everything that´s clearly metal is added no questions asked). I personally consider MMA a very liberal place. Leave the conservatism to Encyclopedia Metalium (which in other respects is a brilliant site too).

One thing I never understood is that Max hasn´t exploited advertising all three sites on the frontpage of the other sites. Why not give people who are members of one site an easy opportunity to discover the other two sites? Lots of people who love metal also love both progressive rock and jazz, and the other way around too. He must be interested in spreading the word about MMA and JMA (PA is pretty well established and not in as great a need of attention as the two other sites).

Edited by UMUR - 13 Apr 2021 at 9:22am
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:25am
I agree with everything you say.  

First, I have seen other metal-related sites such as Encyclopedia Metallum - and it's great!  But I was surprised to find several bands I expected to find there wholly missing (Blue Oyster Cult and UFO, for example). 

Second, I absolutely agree Max should engage in some cross-marketing of the sites. Had I known about MMA earlier I'd have been here earlier!  

And yeah, I use the JMA site quite a bit.  I guess about 10 years ago I started exploring jazz and when JMA came up I was pretty excited about it. Does suffer from lack of users / reviews...these sites are best when you reach a critical mass of users.  

But JMA gave me a road map on artists such as Miles Davis (whose catalog is so big and sprawling and all over the place that a newbie has a hard time knowing where to start).  

In fact, I think it would make sense if Max created a parent "Music Archives" site with links / stats on each of the three "child" sites. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:07pm
Welcome to MMA! There really should be a banner on the homepage for all 3 sites and I'm sure we'd get more traffic and you would have found us a lot sooner.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic