Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CD error...or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CD error...or not?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:31am
Strange one this. Just received the new Depravity CD (Grand Malevolence), stuck it in the CD player and it immediately starts stuttering and skipping. Tried cleaning it but just the same. Tried it on my PC and it played fine. Rulled out a CD player fault as all my other CD's play fine, it's a pretty new Roksan so good quality gear.

I then did a copy of the CD and played that on my CD player and it plays fine. I've never come across this before and perplexed why the original CD won't play but the copy does. Anyone else come across this? 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:36am
Do you have another non-PC player to try? See if it skips the same places. 

I sometimes found that CDs that skipped on proper players played fine on PC. If it skips on two different CDs players I'd get that returned. Sounds like there's a fault there somewhere that could get worse. 

Does the original disc have any visible imperfections? I'm guessing not. If the data on the disc is fine and can be read that would explain why your copy works. 

I've conversely had CDs that play fine from disc but can't have the data ripped without errors in the resulting mp3s. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:53am
I could try it in the car, that's the only other CD player I have. There's no visible damage. The skipping is a continuous thing and not always in the same place. For example first time I must have been about 10 seconds in before the first skip and the next time almost as soon as I hit play. It then continues to skip every few seconds. 

I was thinking of returning it but it took 7 weeks to get it from Australia so I'm not sure if I can be arsed to be honest. I may just make do with the copy I've made and keep it for the packaging.

Edited by Nightfly - 06 Feb 2021 at 11:54am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:34am
I've tried it on 2 different car CD players now as well. One of them it played fine on but the other one wouldn't even allow it to load,  struggled with it a for a while and ejected it with a CD error message. 

I decided to contact the seller and hopefully they'll send a new one without me having to send this one back first or god knows how long I'll end up waiting for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic