Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Best of Year 2020 Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by MorniumGoatahl MorniumGoatahl wrote:

I voted for Morse because it was in the eligible sub-genre. I'm not sure it would have been before the last changes (it's not that metal and I don't think anyone who voted for it would dispute that) though. 

No, it probably wouldn't be. Morse as a solo artist is on here mainly because of Sola Scriptura. This album includes many references to that album, but overall is more varied in style. 

We changed the division between Metal Related and Non-Metal because the idea is for Metal Related to eventually become Metal Related Rock, a broadly defined sub-genre that will capture extra additions that are considered to have become part of the metal scene by association (instead of tagging them Non-Metal), as well as Non-Metal albums by existing metal artists (under these definitions, for previous years, albums like Opeth's Damnation would be allowed to be voted for). Non-Metal will be the final catch all for everything else, used very rarely for artists that have no other tag (associated artists that aren't even rock, like black metal's ambient/darkwave subscene). 

With the above in mind, it seems logical to accept Morse's prog albums as Metal Related Rock if they have at least some elements of MMA-accepted genres like prog metal or hard rock, which this does. As do all of his that I have to be honest, to some extent or another. 

Mornium does raise a good point though: if you weren't sure (especially if you didn't vote for any releases which you may have been allowed to), or didn't think an album others were voting for should be included, you needed to have spoken up. In this case, any of the admins would have told you the same about Morse, but I know there's a lot of artists and albums that need moving around to reflect their new place in the Metal Related/Non-Metal changes. This was warned about early on the vote. I don't think we got one single query from anyone. 

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Which was changed by the admins not that long ago. This was posted about, so you've got no excuse not to know about it:

I don't think regular members tend to pay attention to stuff like that, as it mainly effects collabs. I don't expect regular forum users to look at changes made to genres, and not all forum users use the main site much.

My quoted post is in the discussion about the vote. It isn't a collab post. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 2:54am

Great work on the presentation by the way Paul!

Thanks Chris, made me fully appreciate how much work Adam put into it in the past. Luckily I was at home in lockdown (if you can call that luck) and had the time on my hands to do it.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 3:22am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

great work Thumbs Up

i don't know what Neal Morse is doing here, since I was told to post metal albums exclusively. Also a weak predictable album, I have never understood the hype, if I say Neal Morse is the AC/DC of prog, i'm insulting AC/DC. Sorry... 

Also surprised Ayreon's new one is so high in the list. Made me quit on Ayreon altogether, his last few album were a chore to listen to, no fun, no flow. The new one unlistenable for me. I don't know but I'm missing something here.  Confused

Thanks LittleBig!

As some of the other guys have explained above the reasons why Neal Morse was eligible I won't repeat it (see above). Regarding Ayreon, I'm not  a fan of the new album myself, or the last one for that matter, but he does have a large loyal following compared to a lot of the more obscure acts that made it into the top 25. That alone will almost certainly guarantee him a place I guess. He has took a dive from his last album in 2017 though when he was #1.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 9:22am
My feelings on the Ayreon can be summarised like this:

In terms of his own discography, especially if just considering the Ayreon albums, it's distinctly lower end. 

In terms of how it's generally been received, both here and elsewhere, then for me it may just be the most underrated album of the year. 

It getting as high as it did doesn't alter that belief. Stranger things have happened in our votes. The Astonishing came 3rd in 2016 and most people fucking hated that. 

I just remember when Transitus came out that people, not so much here, but certainly elsewhere, just had such wild and conflicting views on it, that it was like everyone listened to a different album. Some complained it wasn't enough like The Source. Others because it was too much like The Source. Some said it was unclear on the story yet others said it put too much emphasis on story. 

It's clearly a divisive record. That's fine. But a divisive record will always do better in a vote like this as those who like it, will give it points. Those that don't like it have no power to take points away from it, only give points to other releases, which may not be as well liked or known in a community, so do worse. Que sera sera.

I personally think it's a really good album. I believe Arjen tired to do something a little different with it while retaining the rock opera format. Absolutely a release with some issues in terms of both concept story and song-writing (there are very few tracks that actually work well as standalone pieces) though, but maybe that should be expected with an experiment. It will never be an Into the Electric Castle or The Human Equation level release, even if it gets some critical re-evaluation years down the line. But despite what some said about it, it most certainly wasn't a carbon copy of The Source. I suspect those on other sites who said that listened to it once off of streaming and didn't take the time to properly explore it before passing judgement. To be fair on them, it really does need that comic book that comes with it to fully appreciate the concept, which is an issue onto itself. But even so, I find it a quite fun album to listen to, one best taken as a whole. It won't be one to revisit that often though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 3:26am
This list have led to me discovering Japanese thrash metal band Jurassic Jade. What an amazing album! Can't seem to buy it anywhere apart from Japan for silly money unfortunately.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:54am
Damn, somehow i failed to get my votes in on time. Sorry! Can't say i'm dissatisfied with the results though.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

This list have led to me discovering Japanese thrash metal band Jurassic Jade. What an amazing album! Can't seem to buy it anywhere apart from Japan for silly money unfortunately.

YES, finally someone else is checking out one of the greatest not just thrash but metal bands of all time! Thumbs Up I highly recommend listening to all their albums and EP's, not a single dud.

Yeah, unfortunately a big reason so much amazing Japanese music goes so underrated/obscure is how hard it is to get or sometimes even listen to outside of Japan. Wish more would get international releases.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

YES, finally someone else is checking out one of the greatest not just thrash but metal bands of all time! Thumbs Up I highly recommend listening to all their albums and EP's, not a single dud.

Yeah, unfortunately a big reason so much amazing Japanese music goes so underrated/obscure is how hard it is to get or sometimes even listen to outside of Japan. Wish more would get international releases.

I've listened to a few now and very impressed with what I've heard though the new one is still my favourite so far.

Talking of Japanese metal I've just ordered this new one from Evil recently....   http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/evil(japan)/possessed-by-evil

Edited by Nightfly - 15 Feb 2021 at 9:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic