MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Avantasia's Metal Opera's - normal or gold edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avantasia's Metal Opera's - normal or gold edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which would you keep?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [50.00%]
2 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avantasia's Metal Opera's - normal or gold edition
    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:22am
A poll here with a purpose, because I'm really torn on something: which versions to keep of Avantasia's Metal Opera albums, the originals or the Gold Edition Boxset. 

Some context, I bought the Gold Edition many years ago as that was the best value version, though I was always a bit put out that it completely lacks the original artworks. I came into the originals as well when I bought someone's whole collection off of ebay a few years ago. 

Until now I have just kept both versions. That becomes less of an option every time I buy a new album, with ever decreasing space for storage, which has already resulted in my collection being split into a main and secondary collection shoved in the spare room recently. And frankly selling one version could finance something I don't own two of. 

There's not much resale vale difference on ebay between the two originals sold together or the one Gold Edition, so that doesn't really swing it over which ones to keep. 

So if you were me, which would you keep?

The originals have all the original artwork, which I like. The Gold Edition is done up like a hardback book. There are bonus tracks on the discs of the Gold, but they aren't great added value to the album's standard versions. The whole idea of a Gold Edition is that it is a bit more special, but I never felt this set was as special as it should have been. I did pay much more money for the Gold originally, more than I could probably get back out of it, but the originals work out as having paid less than 20p each for given the price paid for the job lot, most of which I've long made back by selling the doubles. 

I'm really torn on this and would like people's opinions. I'm selling one or the other, so don't say 'both'. You won't be being helpful. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:53am
From what it sounds like, there's not really anything about the gold edition you care about, so I'd keep the originals if you really like the artwork. Usually the main draw I find that special/deluxe editions of albums have are bonus tracks/bonus discs, but if those aren't anything special than there's not much point I'd say.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:28am
The Gold has some extended liner notes that the originals don't, but extra musical content was slim: one single version and one live version, neither of which I overly care for. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
I´d almost always go for the original version of an album, because that was the artist´s/label´s original vision. I usually hate remasters and other re-releases, as they often have a tendency to ruin the authenticity of the original work. I haven´t heard the Avantasia albums, and as far as I can read from the above the gold edition isn´t a remaster, but just a repackage of the album with some bonus tracks (which you don´t really care for). I´d keep the originals...
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:47am
I'd keep the Gold edition set. You can always look at the original artwork online.
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm
I have the Gold Edition of these. I've always been happy with it. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:41am
After all this time, I have decided that I will be keeping the Gold edition. It's just more special overall.

The other two have just been put on my ebay for sale. Starting price £5 each +P&P of £1.75. 

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic