Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What exactly is wrong with Uada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What exactly is wrong with Uada?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:38am
Ever since they hit the black metal scene US melodic black metal act Uada has been an 'in' band to hate on and I've never been unable to understand why. It's become even more evident than ever with the release of their third album Djinn, which can't even break a 3 star average rating on RYM (which on that site is basically saying it's irredemable crap).

Most of what I see said against Uada is usally along the lines of Mgla this or Mgla that. And I get that even less when Uada belongs to a different sub-genre of black metal than Mgla. And even if they did sound like Mgla, we're talking about black metal here. It's genre overpopulation taken to extreme levels and so many bands out there actively trying to just be cold, raw and kvlt that it's a total cliché, yet none of these bands will ever be criticised half as much as Uada has been, or any other 'in' black metal act to hate, like Carach Angren or Myrkur.

So why the bandwagon against Uada? And just what the hell has Mgla really got to do with it? In fact people on RYM are now accusing them of trying too hard to not sounding like Mgla on the new record. So it looks like the argument against them just changes no matter what, just so that the hatewagon against the band can continue.

Here are some samples of Uada's music.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:01am
I soured on Mgla because people kept comparing Uada to them unfavourably.

I'm part joking, I thought Exercises in Futility was excellent. The most recent one though was underwhelming. 

But the only thing even slightly similar between them other than both being BM acts is their look. Both have something going on with hoods. But if that's a valid criticism these days, we may as well go back to the second band to use corpsepaint and tear them a new one as well. Or better yet the first, because, you know, of Kiss. 

Comparable or not (read: not), Uada is a much better band than Mgla. More interesting music, more memorable song-writing and varied in BM influences. Where Mgla is pretty much just straight up BM out of the textbook, Uada plays with old school, melodic and atmospheric BM elements in their sound. And they've made three great albums already, the first one especially. I've bought the first two and should have had the new one by now if Amazon hadn't screwed up big time. I've never felt the slightest bit inclined to own anything Mgla has made. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:17am
Never heard of either band, but then Again I´m not fond of much Black metal in general.

I often find that I have pretty strong opinions about some artists that others love, but I usually try and keep my opinions to myself or at least try and Express those opinions as diplomatic as possible. No need to ruin someone else´s listening experience just because you don´t enjoy what you hear...

Edited by UMUR - 06 Oct 2020 at 11:27am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 12:03pm
3* is a good rating

I have briefly checked them out but I'm not into melodic black metal and found them to be no exception.  I don't find them similar to Mgla at all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

3* is a good rating

Normally I'd agree but it's RYM and 3.0 is basically their threshold for adequate. I wouldn't go as far to say 'irredeemable crap' like Ashley since there's albums on there with like 1.something but sub-3.0 is usually considered a sign of not being worth your time. The majority of albums probably level out in the low end 3.0's and not being able to even get that would normally be a sign that an album as a serious problem. 

Or just a wagonload of haters armed with keyboards. LOL
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:46pm
Nothing's wrong with Uada, they've just joined the long line of black metal bands you're meant to hate if you want to be seen as kvlt. 

Don't knock this distinction, it may seem dubious up front but depending on your point of view it's also an accolade for having more interesting music than most BM. Just judge by the company. Ashley mentioned Carach Angren and Myrkur. Two solid examples. If it's not entire acts getting the treatment, then it's certainly specific releases, such as 1349's Revelations of the Black Flame, an album I happen to think quite highly of. 

Black metal is my favourite metal sub-genre, but I'm the first to admit that there's a lot of crap out there. Or if not crap, just completely unremarkable. Which is exactly how I'd describe Mgla's last album come to think of it. I did enjoy Exercises in Futility though. 

At the end of the day you should always take what RYM in particular says about black metal (or anything) with a pinch of salt. We are talking about a site here that thinks Filosofem is the best black metal album ever made after all. Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

3* is a good rating

Normally I'd agree but it's RYM and 3.0 is basically their threshold for adequate. I wouldn't go as far to say 'irredeemable crap' like Ashley since there's albums on there with like 1.something but sub-3.0 is usually considered a sign of not being worth your time. The majority of albums probably level out in the low end 3.0's and not being able to even get that would normally be a sign that an album as a serious problem. 

Or just a wagonload of haters armed with keyboards. LOL

There are tons of great albums rated lower on that site, and anything in 1) an extreme style of music with 2) relatively low number of overall ratings will have a hard time getting rated very high.  Remember that RYM is full of non-metalheads rating metal albums off 1 listen, if even that.

...at any rate, I don't see any reason to believe an album with only 1 review is being bombarded by undeserved hate or something.  Give it time.  Write your own positive review. 

Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

We are talking about a site here that thinks Filosofem is the best black metal album ever made after all. Wink

should be 2nd after A Blaze In The Northern Sky, obviously Tongue

On a more serious note, the combination of influence and hipster aesthetics makes it obvious why Filosofem would be up there

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Oct 2020 at 2:36pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 2:51pm

Write your own positive review. 

better yet, review it here and forget about RYM

(if anything, UADA could use some negative reviews here lol)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Oct 2020 at 2:54pm
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:08pm

..at any rate, I don't see any reason to believe an album with only 1 review is being bombarded by undeserved hate or something.  Give it time.  Write your own positive review.

I'm having trouble believing you understood the context of the topic, since this isn't and has never been about the reviews (or lack of them) of one of the band's releases on RYM. People have been ragging on Uada since their debut, going on and on about how much they rip off Mgla etc. I merely used the below 3 average on Djinn as one example. This is hardly unique to the RYM crowd. Last.fm, YouTube, it's all there if you look through comments.

The idea behind the topic was to see if anyone could come up with some valid criticism without mentioning Mgla. And perhaps have a reasoned discussion about the bands and genre.

Basically I'm sick of reading about Mgla when I look up Uada. Perhaps a better question to ask would have been why Mgla has become the BM band that the sun shines out of and must not be ripped off (real or imagined) on pain of death by keyboard warriors who act like there are no other black metal bands but Mgla and Uada.

For the record what Mgla I've heard was good, it's the connection everyone makes between the two acts that really puzzles me.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:25pm
As far as I can tell that's more to due to them copying their stage costumes from Mgla and Batushka than the music itself

Youtube comments are about getting a reaction, obviously it worked.  Has anything important and serious ever been written in a youtube comment?

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:37pm

Youtube comments are about getting a reaction, obviously it worked.

This topic is not a reaction to a YouTube comment. Just another example of why this isn't about a specfic site.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic