MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings
    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:02am
Good morning all,

I'm astounded I was not aware of this website considering I have trawled the realms of Prog Archives for years and have always found it an invaluable source of musical recommendation.   After finding out the same thing is available for all things metal, my life is a good bit closer to being complete.

Music has always been a major part of my life but since working from home during Covid-19, my headphone time has an additional 10 hours daily so I am now on a rampage of discovery of new metal and rediscovery of old favourites.

I have an extremely diverse taste in music with metal and punk being at the core.   Some favourite bands of mine within metal include but are no means limited to Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Gojira, Crowbar, Meshuggah....

I have already scoped out some highly rated albums that are unknown to me and plan to get stuck in immediately.

I look forward to getting some musical discussion with you all in future.

Cheers,

BitterJ (Mark)
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:20am
Mark, welcome aboard. It surprises me how many regulars at ProgArchives are unaware of our existence . I’m sure it works both ways, unfortunately. Anyway, as you’ll see we’re a work in progress (always will be) but have already built a pretty large resource here. We try to be open minded about metal music and you’ll find some artists here that some of our peers wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, but if it’s metal, right?
There’s scope to be as involved as you feel comfortable being, whether that’s a background browser (we hope not), an active collaborator or somewhere in between.
And keep those reviews coming 😉
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:34am
Welcome to MMA Mark, always pleased to see someone from PA find us. Unfortunately they don't support their sister sites too well (there is also a Jazz site). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:54am
Howdy. Liking your reviews already.

Unlike many others here, I'm well aware of the prog site. I just ain't interested.Wink
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 4:23am
Thanks for the warm welcome folks.  ProgArchives has always been good for me. When I searched for Nile, I came across a debate in the forum with a post along the lines of "technical skill does not equal prog, have you checked them out on MMA" hence why I ended up here.

The reviews will keep coming.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:00am
And I think PA called it right on Nile.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:21am
I'm inclined to agree but I thought I would try my luck anyway and lucky I did as it I have now discovered this place Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:22am
It's always worth looking Mark. PA does have some bands that we'd never think of listing under Progressive Metal on MMA. Likewise you may find some surprising bands here as well that have been accepted under certain criteria that you may think are strictly PA territory. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:02am
Welcome to MMA Mark. We´re not as many in active numbers as they are on PA (where I have also been active for many years), but we´re much more handsome/beautiful and clever too Cool.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
Welcome, and good reviews, always nice to see someone new.

I'm a fan of Meshuggah and Crowbar (as noted by my comment on your review) as well, open to recommendations?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:28pm
Unitron, Thanks for the comment on my review of Odd Fellows Rest.  Not sure if you are asking me if I am open to recommendations or if you are asking if I have any to make.  For the former, I am always open, all the time. For the later, if we are talking sludge, I am revisited Eyehategod's "Confederacy of Ruined Lives" which would by my favourite album of theirs.  I appreciate this may not be most Eyehategod fan's choice album but something about it just does it for me.  It's like twisted classic rock with a bucket of mud thrown over it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 3:16pm
I was referring to the former, but I haven't gotten around to checking out Eyehategod so I'll give that album a listen myself. 

If you haven't heard them already, the band Candiria is something I can imagine other Meshuggah fans enjoying. They have a combination of the groove of the aforementioned band, hip hop rhythms, and the jazz fusion influence of Atheist:

and with sludge the band Floor is one of my favorites, standing out as an equally heavy and melodic band:

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:12am
I had never heard of either band prior to your comment which is surprising as I am a fan of Steve Brooks' other band - Torche.  I listened to Foor's "Floor" this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you do not know Torche, I would highly recommend the album "Meanderthal".  It is a touch less heavy but has the same vibe of pop tinged sludge.  Many thanks indeed for the recommendation.  I will get some Candiria on later and report back.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
Scratch that.  I note you have already rated Meanderthal with a healthy 4/5.  I would not argue with that one bit.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:53pm
Good to see you here Mark, I used to spend quite a lot of time on PA myself being equally interested in prog and metal. Enjoy the site. Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

I had never heard of either band prior to your comment which is surprising as I am a fan of Steve Brooks' other band - Torche.  I listened to Foor's "Floor" this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you do not know Torche, I would highly recommend the album "Meanderthal".  It is a touch less heavy but has the same vibe of pop tinged sludge.  Many thanks indeed for the recommendation.  I will get some Candiria on later and report back.

Yeah, I know Torche, though I should definitely listen to more of them. The band Cavity is another great sludge band that featured the other two Floor members, especially recommend the Supercollider album. (no relation to the later Megadeth album)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
I just listened to Candiria's 300 Percent Density. Very interesting. It's like groove metal fused with something from Tortoise's album TNT and it works well. I'm usually not keen rap but I didn't mind its inclusion on this. Great recommendation that I will definitely play again in the future.

I shall get listening to Cavity over the weekend. Did you manage to check out Eyehategod?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:35am
Glad you liked Candiria as well, haven't gotten around to listening to that Eyehategod album yet, but I will soon.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:32pm
I'm absolutely loving Cavity's Supercollider.  Although all sludge by definition has elements of punk, I feel it shows through the metal a bit more on parts of this album compared to most of the sludge that I am familiar with.  I will definitely be exploring more Cavity.  I've only been here a week and have received a hat-trick of great recommendations already.  Many thanks.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:19pm
Got around to listening to that Eyehategod album, good stuff. I'll definitely be checking out some of their other albums sometime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic