Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Comedy Movies of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Comedy Movies of All Time
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:26pm
http://www.collegehumor.com/bestcomedy

For a humor website as big as CollegeHumor, their list is pretty weak IMO.  I love my comedy, so seeing lists this bad gets to me.  Some issues I have:

1) I'm not a big fan of the Jackass franchise, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing one of their movies on such a list, but 2 of them??
2) It seems that around 1/3 of these movies were made within the past 5 years.  I guess the average voter was probably 21 at the oldest.  I don't think any movie was on there that was older than 35 years old.
3) On that note: Not a single Marx Brothers movie??
4) Lots of throwaway teenage films on there.
5) The list didn't include Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, but included 2 American Pie movies, both Waynes Worlds, 2 Austin Powers, and probably a few other sequels that were meh

Some omissions I was surprised at (not necessarily my favorites):
- No Woody Allen movies
- A Fish Called Wanda
- The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy)
- Life Aquatic
- Cable Guy
- Dr. Strangelove (HUGE omission)

I believe the list was based on CollegeHumor reader's selections.  I'd be shocked if that list was generated by the writers/staff of the site.

I mainly posted this because I thought it could lead to interesting discussion.  What would you change about the list?

Edited by Stooge - 14 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm
They got #1 right, at least

Blues Brothers should have been higher
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:37pm
BTW I've seen 77 of those movies.  Also too much Seth Rogen and Will Ferrell.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:30am
Some good stuff, some bad stuff, lotsa stuff I haven't seen. Good job spotting the missing Fish, that could be my number one. I liked seeing Men in Tights there, I used to watch that one often in high school.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 1:31am
Happy to see Dogma on the list. I�m still not done laughing. Absolutely brilliant movie.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

They got #1 right, at least

-thought this was a thread for lists 
-started making my list 
-saw the thead wasnt that, 
-checked the college humor list  #1
-MFW

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:23am
Life Of Brian should be number 1 - end of story.

Most of the classics are missing including Laurel and Hardy????

Not a definitive list of comedy classics for sure.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:34am
I too prefer Life of Brian to the Holy Grail, both would possibly be in my top 5.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Happy to see Dogma on the list. I�m still not done laughing. Absolutely brilliant movie.

This is one of my favourites too, happy to see it on the list. The only weak point is Ben Affleck, especially compared to the brilliant Matt Damon by his side.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:51am
I think they are damn great both of them, but Matt�s got the best part that�s for sure. Especially the scene where he punishes the sinners in the executive room. But the movie is just full of great characters. And Salma of courseWackoEmbarrassed
Paperbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
As long as The Big Lebowski is on there, i'm happy.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:49pm
Haven't thought about this much but at a first glance I don't like a lot of those movies.

And I know I am in the minority but one of my favourite comedies and favourite movies in general was I Heart Huckabees.

No. 1 spot was thankfully correct.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:52pm
^Yeah, I'm not too familiar with most of them, but the Holy Grail is a great, and classic movie

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:13pm

Cool
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Paperbag Paperbag wrote:

As long as The Big Lebowski is on there, i'm happy.

Thankfully.  Seeing what else was on the list, I'm surprised it wasn't left off.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:40pm

I didn't really care for Holy Grail, but I've not really found British humor to be all that funny.  Embarrassed  I like Adam Sandler, and Happy Gilmore is a pretty funny movie, but still way too much Adam Sandler on the list.  I can't stand Will Ferrell.  He is even less humorous than British humor to me.  One of these days I will have to try Holy Grail again to see if my perspective has changed.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Cool

My .... my stapler .....

Glad that was a Top 10.  I love the character Mike Judge plays.  I especially like the look on his face the time Jennifer Anniston flips him off. LOL
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:09pm
British humour is my favourite! Well, especially on TV. My favourite series ever is Yes Minister/Prime Minister and Black Adder. And Monty Python's flying circus... Oh well.

I love Will Ferrel. Really not a fan of Adam Sandler. Jackass is not even remotely funny. I get it but I still cringe with almost every sequence in there. Kick him in the balls. Yeah. Now he hurts like hell. So funny.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:18pm
I've not seen Jackass, but just the premise turns me off so I probably never will.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I've not seen Jackass, but just the premise turns me off so I probably never will.

It's often classified as comedy, but should be filed under documentary.  It documents stupidity.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 7:10am
I'd nominate The Gods Must Be Crazy, Spinal Tap, 48 Hours and the first Crocodile Dundee - strangely enough all 80's movies (not mty fave decade for many things)

I never really found Monty Python that funny.... Actually it often wasn't.... they were trying to push the boundaries of humour, but IMHO, often semi-failed.... actually, I find post-Python movies funnier (Brazil or Wanda)

Edited by Sean Trane - 04 Apr 2011 at 7:12am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic