MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now -- what are you listening to? V3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 264>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:37pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 3:01am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/flourishing/the-sum-of-all-fossils
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:24am
ACID DEATH - Primal Energies cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/acid-death/primal-energies

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 11:07am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/blind-guardian/battalions-of-fear

Thanks to RYM's 'genius' (read: hair-brained) decision to make speed metal a sub-genre of heavy metal, this now appears on the traditional heavy metal charts. Censored
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm
^Top tier heavy metal band Blind Guardian Wacko

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 5:03pm
ANTI-CIMEX - Victims Of A Bomb Raid cover

Such a great EP.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 9:43am
Mesarthim - Ghost Condensate
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 6:53am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/blind-guardian/battalions-of-fear

Thanks to RYM's 'genius' (read: hair-brained) decision to make speed metal a sub-genre of heavy metal, this now appears on the traditional heavy metal charts. Censored

I think that's because speed metal generally IS considered a sub of heavy metal. It is a direct descended of the NWOBHM. You can still easily filter any charts for just speed metal or another other micro-genre so not a biggie really. I think their charts have gotten much better over the years myself.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 10:23am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_(The_Cure_album)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 10:28am
Wrong insofar as you can say that of most if not all metal genres. You may as well put power metal under speed metal with that logic, since all (Euro) power metal actually is melodic speed metal. Thrash too, ties back to the early speed metal songs. And then groove metal would be under thrash. As would death metal. And black metal would be under that. Back up and put doom under heavy. Stoner, drone and sludge under doom and so forth. 

See what I mean? The RYM change of speed metal's place in the hierarchy makes zero sense. It's not only a massive double standard (and yes I know that same double standard exists very openly with the various alt metal subs and that's true of MMA too, but it's the same issue albeit one that's widely accepted for some reason), it's also only going to encourage speed metal deniers like that deathstrike character all the more and lead to incorrect thinking that albums that sound like Battalions of Fear shouldn't be tagged as speed metal, because they don't belong on the heavy metal charts (which they don't). It's bad enough they're also tagged power metal, which they aren't because they're 100% speed metal. 

RYM has done a few things that have lost them credibility in my eyes (and that's not even getting into some of the things the userbase votes for or against on both music and films), but this one really takes the cake. 

I can understand them putting USPM under Heavy since the distinction between those bands can be so small, but moving speed metal was ridiculous. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 4:54pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:36pm

Wrong insofar as you can say that of most if not all metal genres. You may as well put power metal under speed metal with that logic, since all (Euro) power metal actually is melodic speed metal. Thrash too, ties back to the early speed metal songs. And then groove metal would be under thrash. As would death metal. And black metal would be under that. Back up and put doom under heavy. Stoner, drone and sludge under doom and so forth. 

See what I mean? The RYM change of speed metal's place in the hierarchy makes zero sense. It's not only a massive double standard (and yes I know that same double standard exists very openly with the various alt metal subs and that's true of MMA too, but it's the same issue albeit one that's widely accepted for some reason), it's also only going to encourage speed metal deniers like that deathstrike character all the more and lead to incorrect thinking that albums that sound like Battalions of Fear shouldn't be tagged as speed metal, because they don't belong on the heavy metal charts (which they don't). It's bad enough they're also tagged power metal, which they aren't because they're 100% speed metal. 

RYM has done a few things that have lost them credibility in my eyes (and that's not even getting into some of the things the userbase votes for or against on both music and films), but this one really takes the cake. 

I can understand them putting USPM under Heavy since the distinction between those bands can be so small, but moving speed metal was ridiculous. 

Don't agree, totally at least. Speed metal was the bridge between heavy metal / NWOBM and thrash / power metal so i guess it was the intermediate between h.m and p.m / thrash. Not sure they needed to make it a sub of heavy metal. It does deserve its own special place. Yeah, RYM not perfect. MMA not perfect. PA not perfect. We live in an imperfect universe. I've learned not to get upset about all this. The music is beautiful no matter how the data nazis need to categorize it. My point was really that it's easy enough to filter speed metal into its own category no matter if it's a sub or indie genre. I love speed metal!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 11:47pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:41am
Spend a few hours yesterday morning listening to and reviewing both the split and the two individual EPs. It turns out I had never listened to "Bestial Devastation" before, which was a surprise to me (and a real shame, as it´s actually pretty great), but it´s probably because I´ve only ever owned "Morbid Visions" on vinyl, and it´s only on the CD version that the materal from the EP appear as bonus material. The split and the 1990 reissue EPs are nearly impossible to get your hands on.

SEPULTURA - Bestial Devastation / Século XX cover

Edited by UMUR - 05 Jun 2022 at 12:42am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:43am
CORROSION OF CONFORMITY - Americas Volume Dealer cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/corrosion-of-conformity/americas-volume-dealer

This one isn´t often mentioned as one of their best albums, as it´s overshadowed by the two preceding releases, but hot damn it´s a great album. I love it...

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:45am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 1:08am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Spend a few hours yesterday morning listening to and reviewing both the split and the two individual EPs. It turns out I had never listened to "Bestial Devastation" before, which was a surprise to me (and a real shame, as it´s actually pretty great), but it´s probably because I´ve only ever owned "Morbid Visions" on vinyl, and it´s only on the CD version that the materal from the EP appear as bonus material. The split and the 1990 reissue EPs are nearly impossible to get your hands on.

SEPULTURA - Bestial Devastation / Século XX cover

I've had the Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation CD since it came out (early/mid 90s?), and I've always preferred the Bestial Devastation tracks.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 9:37am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/artificial-brain/artificial-brain
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Don't agree, totally at least. Speed metal was the bridge between heavy metal / NWOBM and thrash / power metal so i guess it was the intermediate between h.m and p.m / thrash. Not sure they needed to make it a sub of heavy metal. It does deserve its own special place. Yeah, RYM not perfect. MMA not perfect. PA not perfect. We live in an imperfect universe. I've learned not to get upset about all this. The music is beautiful no matter how the data nazis need to categorize it. My point was really that it's easy enough to filter speed metal into its own category no matter if it's a sub or indie genre. I love speed metal!

I'm not upset. I just think it's an ill considered decision. They've had a lot of them lately! Some of them have even directly harmed the quality of their data by changing genre parents around. 

They are changing genre placements and adding new ones so much at the moment (might mean we're finally getting close to the rebrand into three sites for music, film and gaming) that it would probably be in everyone's best interests if they completed erased all genre voting history and started from scratch. There's too much stuff on there now incorrectly tagged as a direct result of them changing, adding or sometimes removing genre tags, that doesn't have a hope in hell of getting righted by the userbase's voting habits (which for a lot of them seems to be vote up what's already green at the time). For example it's been years since they rushed through a removal of the 'progressive death metal' tag and still acts like Opeth have no albums with death metal primary. Now I am of the camp that Opeth is more prog than death, but that's here. There's no valid reason why at least some Opeth albums shouldn't count as death metal primary too, especially the early ones. They did before they removed a death metal tag that had been applied to those albums. Thing is, that tag existing for so long meant anyone just voted against plain old death metal, and those historic votes still stand. 

All this applies to film as well. They recently moved the 'kaidan' genre from being a supernatural horror sub-genre to being a fantasy sub-genre. Result: horror films now don't appear on the horror charts, and supernatural horror has, like death metal on Opeth, already been downvoted due to a better tag previously making it redundant. 

RYM's history shows these casualties of their changes never recover. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 10:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 264>
  Share Topic