Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing the Confessions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing the Confessions
    Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:39am
Fixing the Confessions - A Metalhead's Journey Through Albums He Really Should Have Heard By Now

I recently posted my List Challenge Confessions of a Metalhead (link) where I collected 450 albums that I'd never heard (well, 449, because I included one I'd completely forgot I had heard), but felt like, based on factors such as overall notability and personal taste, that I probably should have checked out by now.

This blog, concurrent to my The Great Collection Rediscovery blog, aims to correct some of these omissions, album by album, though perhaps not with the same frequency as I'm going through the CDs I own for the other blog.

Ticking an album off this list can only be done if it cane be streamed free and legally. Usually this will mean Spotify, on which I'm making a playlist of albums which can be accessed here:

Selection and order of the albums has been done using a randomizer.

List of Releases Not on Spotify in the UK:

Arckanum - Fran Marder
Sabbat - The Dwelling
Sadus - Illusions
Sigh - Scorn Defeat
Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun

Edited by adg211288 - 29 May 2020 at 1:20am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:01am
Artist: Omen
Album: The Curse

Verdict: I've heard other Omen albums before and remember liking them to different degrees, but it's been a while. This one is fairly typical sounding USPM/heavy metal of the time period. Solid stuff, but it doesn't blow me away or get my blood boiling with meaty riffs the way the best USPM does.

Would I Buy it? If it was cheap enough, I guess. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:31am
Artist: Revocation
Album: The Outer Ones

Verdict: A quite recent one so not the most glaring omission on my part and I have heard some other Revocation, though they are a fairly recent one to be ticked off my bands to check out list. This one finds them much more in the tech death camp than they're known for, but it's a very solid tech-death album.

Would I Buy It? Yes, although not sure yet what my first choice for Revocation would be. They are certainly a band I'd like something by in my collection though. 

Edited by adg211288 - 29 May 2020 at 6:32am
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:27pm
Brilliant band and that's a great album. I have them all except the first 2. If I had to chose only 1 album to keep it would be Great Is Our Sin.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 8:46am
Artist: Pestilence
Album: Malleus Maleficarum

Verdict: I've had an up and down relationship to Pestilence in the past. I remember really enjoying Testimony of the Ancients, finding Spheres interesting and thought Doctrine was a piece of shit. Debut album Malleus Maleficarum finds them more in thrash metal mood and it's a pretty solid release.

What I Buy It? Possibly, but I'd prefer to get Testimony of the Ancients based on my memory of that album.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Brilliant band and that's a great album. I have them all except the first 2. If I had to chose only 1 album to keep it would be Great Is Our Sin.

Ironically I didn't put that one on my list. Picked The Outer Ones, Deathless and Chaos of Forms. I'll still check out Great is Our Sin of course. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Pestilence
Album: Malleus Maleficarum

Verdict: I've had an up and down relationship to Pestilence in the past. I remember really enjoying Testimony of the Ancients, finding Spheres interesting and thought Doctrine was a piece of shit. Debut album Malleus Maleficarum finds them more in thrash metal mood and it's a pretty solid release.

What I Buy It? Possibly, but I'd prefer to get Testimony of the Ancients based on my memory of that album.

Pestilence really smashed it out of the park with Consuming Impulse. I love it more than the albums either side of it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:40pm
That's on the confessions list too. Coming up sooner rather than later on the randomised list. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:43am
Yeah, all of the first three Pestilence albums are great, but Consuming Impulse is on a whole other level. Really emotionally and musically powerful stuff.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:42am
Artist: Virgin Steele
Album: The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One

Verdict: Virgin Steele is one of those bands I had a phase with, but have since soured a lot on. Possibly due to their more recent records sucking so much. This one is from their USPM period, which is their best period, and I actually own Part 2 of The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and have a high rating on it so obviously liked it at the time. This one seems merely OK though. Some excellent riffs here and there, but overall a very bloated 70 minute album.

Would I Buy It? Maybe if it was a £1 or something. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 6:22am
^ One of those bands on the face of it I should Like but never really got into them or felt the urge to buy anything I've heard.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:20am
Artist: Hannes Grossmann
Album: The Radial Covenant

Verdict: A very solid prog/tech death metal release that's always competent and sometimes displays a flair for brilliance. An act to pursue more. 

Would I Buy It? Yes. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:59pm
Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: The Gallery

Verdict: I have a couple of other Dark Tranquillity albums that I got in a second hand shop one time (although with Gorod's Leading Vision which was the real gem of that haul). Both are solid, but not as good as this one. I'm not the biggest fan of melodic death metal, but when done right it can be some real fist pumping stuff. This is done right.

Would I Buy It? Yes. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 11:31am
Artist: Faith No More
Album: Angel Dust

Verdict: This wasn't on my original list that I based this long neglected blog on, but I forced myself to try something I'd usually actively avoid. There is some interesting music here, but for the most part the vocals aren't my cup of tea at all. Still I'm glad to have challenged myself and tried something different. 

Would I Buy It? No. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:15pm
If you're checking out things you ordinarily wouldn't, I'd be curious to see what you would think of this as you like folk metal:

It's nu metal mixed with Romanian folk music (and Palinca is the only song with any sort of rapping on it which I know is a dealbreaker)
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm

Verdict: This wasn't on my original list that I based this long neglected blog on, but I forced myself to try something I'd usually actively avoid. There is some interesting music here, but for the most part the vocals aren't my cup of tea at all. Still I'm glad to have challenged myself and tried something different. 

Would I Buy It? No. 
Faith no More is definitely an aquired taste, and I know a lot of people who don´t enjoy them either. Me...I´m a pretty big fan.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 2:19pm

Would I Buy It? No. 

I have this only because I bought a 5 disc set. I wouldn't have bought it on it's own.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:12am
At the moment the priority is trying things that are high rated but aren't normally something I'd listen to. I got Faith No More off the first page of RYM's overall metal chart. I'll be working my way through some of what's left as and when I feel like experimenting, though I can assure that the album ranked at number ten can just fuck right off. And probably number 29 as well. But I suppose the primary focus should instead be the two obvious omissions you're all going to frown at me for: Black Sabbath Vol 5 and Sabbath Blood Sabbath. Embarrassed

Of the alt metal stuff on there I'm open to Tool's Lateralus (I own Ænima and don't love it or dislike it) and System of a Down's Toxicity (perhaps the only band lumped into nu metal at the time (however incorrectly) that I didn't mind back in the day). Of the rest there's a Converge album which won't be my first for them either and an Agalloch album which is the same deal. The Boris album may get a track or two, but I'm most sceptical of drone metal out of all the genres I don't normally follow. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:59am
Ooh I like a bit of drone myself. Toxicity is a good album but not my favourite SOAD release. Jane Doe (I assume that’s the Converge album?) is brilliant but not an easy listen. The fact that there’s two early Sabbath albums you’ve not heard (really?) should in a fair world result in you being dragged out of your bed and publicly stripped of your metalhead identity. Shame on you 😉
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:07pm
Oh I wish I could say it's only two, but that's just the first page.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic