Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:40am
Artist: Iron Maiden
Album: Brave New World
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 165 (10 Tracks)
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: My other 'first' Iron Maiden album. When I first got into them I decided to buy two records: one classic, one modern. This was the modern choice of the then two to pick from (as I didn't want to start with anything without Bruce), as A Matter of Life and Death hadn't quite been released yet. Historically I've held a great affection for Dance of Death among the modern Maiden records, but this one keeps creeping up in my estimations (as much as you can rate an album you've had five stars on for years more). I think I made two good choices looking back for first Iron Maiden albums, between this and Seventh Son. Of course, they're one of those bands it's very easy to differ in opinion on like that. What two albums would you have recommended to an Iron Maiden newcomer if you had to pick one classic and one modern?

Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Hell yeah!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:50am
Album: Killers
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 142 (11 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: Once upon a time I liked this more than the debut, but things change and that doesn't mean I regard this one any less than I used to, just that I regard the other more. Killers remains a really fun and energetic second Iron Maiden album, but it does lack for a more lengthy Steve Harris penned epic that would make it truly classic.

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? Of course. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:44am
"What two albums would you have recommended to an Iron Maiden newcomer if you had to pick one classic and one modern?"

Possibly the same as you. My first Maiden album (I had some singles) was Powerslave. It's always been a favourite. So that would be my "modern" choice. Killers probably as my classic. Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, title track, what's not to like? Wink
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:23pm
Using Bruce and Adrian rejoining the band as the dividing line between classic and modern (even though it happened 20 years ago, and no one in their right mind is going to pick the Blaze albums), I would also go with Brave New World for the modern album, and would go with Piece of Mind as the classic. Yes, Number of the Beast is the obvious choice, but it doesn't have Nicko. He makes a huge difference to my ears.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:42pm
I tend to personally think of the first seven to be the classic period. 90s to be a 'mid' period. And Brave New World onward to be the modern period. 

At a stretch go up to Bruce's exit for classic and everything after as modern and remove mid. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 6:40pm
I still like the Blaze albums, but they are really for fans, and wouldn't be a good introduction to the band for a newbie.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:48pm
I'd say Powerslave or Somewhere in Time is the best start. Killers is the album I tend to listen to most lately when I get in a Maiden mood though, Innocent Exile especially has such a good hook and raw vocal performance.

Or just skip Maiden and listen to Saxon for a better NWoBHM band. Tongue

Edited by Unitron - 24 Jul 2020 at 12:15am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 6:54am
Album: Powerslave
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 143 (8 Tracks)
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: I think if I'm remembering correctly this was my third Iron Maiden album. Or possibly joint third. For a time I considered Powerslave to be one of those albums that has a great beginning and a great end, but lost something in the middle. It's proved a grower though and it's now one my favourite Iron Maiden records. 

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
^ Still think they've never bettered that album and don't expect they ever will.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:14am
Album: Piece of Mind
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 134
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: I'm probably going to cop some flask for this one, but I've always thought that Piece of Mind represented the weakest point in the classic Iron Maiden period, regardless of whether you define that as the whole 80s or just the Dickinson-Smith-Harris-Murray-McBrain line-up. This latest listen't hasn't changed that point of view.

Piece of Mind is an album with a fair bit going for it. It's got The Trooper on it for a start. One of Maiden's most famous tracks, even giving name to their very own beer, I always thought the album it was from would be one of my favourites. But it just isn't. I love To Tame a Land though. I'm also quite fond of a couple of the lesser known tracks here, namely Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel. The rest? Merely solid Iron Maiden that has never resonated with me as much as its reputation says it should. 

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? Yeah, it's still a good album, but not a classic for me. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:34pm
My first copy of Piece of Mind had the J-card (cassette of course!) printed all arse-about-face, with the artwork unfolding the wrong way. I have heard it was done like this on purpose, to go with the theme of insanity with the cover art, but it really just looks like a printing fuck up.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:08am
Album: Somewhere in Time
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 79 (8 Tracks)

Verdict: An album that continues to grow in my estimations with every spin it gets, but it doesn't quite manage to reach the top tier of the two albums that surround it, even still. The cover art though, is pretty legendary even among the classic Iron Maiden artworks - the kind of art that makes me wish I had vinyl instead of CD to really appreciate it. 

Keeper? Yes
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
Album: No Prayer for the Dying
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 50 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: This Iron Maiden album has the misfortune of following up their career best and the misfortune of having lost Adrian Smith as part of the line-up. It also has the perhaps in hindsight regrettable decision to try a back to basics approach after the progressively inclined end of the band's classic period. Despite all this, I like No Prayer for the Dying. It is not an excellent album, but it is a pretty solid one with some great tracks that often go unsung. 

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Album: No Prayer for the Dying
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 50 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: This Iron Maiden album has the misfortune of following up their career best and the misfortune of having lost Adrian Smith as part of the line-up. It also has the perhaps in hindsight regrettable decision to try a back to basics approach after the progressively inclined end of the band's classic period. Despite all this, I like No Prayer for the Dying. It is not an excellent album, but it is a pretty solid one with some great tracks that often go unsung. 

Keeper? Yep.

This was a big change after the previous two albums, as Somewhere In Time had developed a bit of a progressive feel too. It completely ditched the synth guitars. It took some queues (and a guitar player!) from Bruce Dickinson's Tattooed Millionaire, which was back to basics rock. Some of the songs haven't aged too well, but there's a couple of stone cold classics here too.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:26pm
I don't think my Iron Maiden opinions have changed too much since I did my mini reviews of them all. I personally think No Prayer for the Dying is better than Fear of the Dark. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm

Album: Somewhere in Time
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 79 (8 Tracks)

Verdict: An album that continues to grow in my estimations with every spin it gets, but it doesn't quite manage to reach the top tier of the two albums that surround it, even still. The cover art though, is pretty legendary even among the classic Iron Maiden artworks - the kind of art that makes me wish I had vinyl instead of CD to really appreciate it. 

Keeper? Yes

A great album and I agree about the cover. I bought it on vinyl when it was first released and bought it again a year or 2 later when I got my first CD player. Back then we were told vinyl was dead and I bought quite a few favourite albums again on CD and pretty much switched to buying everything on CD after that for a lot of year's. These days it's the vinyl version that tends to get played when I listen to that album.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:58pm
I would love to swap my whole collection for vinyl really, being honest. For the artwork alone. It won't ever happen though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:33am
Album: The X Factor
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 30 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: Well this is a first on this run through Iron Maiden: I feel like I need to lower my rating a bit. This has some of the same problems as all of their 90s material but unlike the other 90s albums manages to drag itself out for over 70 minutes. At this point in time I would pinpoint this as Maiden's lowest point. That said, it's Maiden, so it's still a cut above the average. 

New Rating: 3.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:21pm
Artist: Amberian Dawn
Album: River of Tuoni
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 134

Verdict: Now here's something I haven't spun in full for about six years. River of Tuoni is undoubtedly an Oceanborn/Wishmaster era Nightwish clone, but since Nightwish themselves never delivered half as much of that sort of material as they could have done that's not necessarily a bad thing. The band themselves lost me somewhat when they changed the excellent singer here to a much inferior one, but this remains an excellent power metal album. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:44pm

Album: The X Factor
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 30 (11 Tracks)

Verdict: Well this is a first on this run through Iron Maiden: I feel like I need to lower my rating a bit. This has some of the same problems as all of their 90s material but unlike the other 90s albums manages to drag itself out for over 70 minutes. At this point in time I would pinpoint this as Maiden's lowest point. That said, it's Maiden, so it's still a cut above the average. 

New Rating: 3.5/5

Worst album, worst artwork. That said, the worst Maiden album is subjective. It's still better than the best KISS album.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
  Share Topic