Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 2:27am
Artist: Rebellion
Album: Sagas of Iceland
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: One of my favourite bands, Sagas of Iceland is the first of Rebellion's The History of the Vikings trilogy. For me it's an excellent album but the weakest of the three (I also prefer Born a Rebel, the previous album, over this one) by virtue of the other's high standard than through any fault of its own. Many great tracks here though showing off the heavier side of power metal.

New Rating: No Change. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 11:19am
Artist: Crimson Glory
Album: Transcendence
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: One of the most essential albums of USPM's melodic side. Funny thing is that I really did not like this one when I first heard it, but it's since become a five star album for me. Tastes change. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:20am
Artist: Matthias Steele
Album: Haunting Tales of a Warrior's Past

Verdict: A USPM/thrash metal gem. Less well known than many in the USPM genre, but this is actually one of my favourites from it. Right up there with the best stuff the likes of Fates Warning, Crimson Glory or even Iced Earth has ever put out.

New Rating: 5/5

Edited by adg211288 - 31 Aug 2020 at 5:29am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:24am
Artist: Ayreon
Album: The Source

Verdict: A much more metallic Ayreon outing after The Theory of Everything, which is appropriate given how directly this one ties to the concept of 01011001. Excellent vocal cast (though I wish Lucassen had used Myrath's Zaher Zorgati for more than some Arabic chanting in a single track) with so many of the big names in prog and power metal taking part. Musically it's arguably not as outright progressive as some of the Ayreon albums, but it's damn good all the same. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:33am
Album: The Dream Sequencer

Verdict: Ayreon's intentionally least metal release, the first half of the Universal Migrator duo (the other half of which is Ayreon's intentionally most metal release), the Dream Sequencer should on paper appeal to me less than it's heavier counterpart, but this is my favourite of the two albums. While it has a number of lesser songs on it, it also has three of my all time favourite individual Ayreon tracks in My House on Mars, Carried by the Wind and The First Man on Earth. One Small Step is excellent too. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:11am
Artist: Chastain
Albums: The 7th of Never / The Voice of the Cult
Old Ratings: Both 4.5/5

Verdict: Decided to do a double entry for these since I just listened to them back to back. I first came to Chastain through the link of their second singer Kate French, who I had been listening to in Vainglory a lot at the time, but it quickly became apparent that Chastain's best work was with their original (and would later become current) vocalist Leather Leone. Some classic heavy/US style power metal with a high consistency across several albums, it's only these two I've managed to pick up so far, but I should really argument my collection further, especially with Ruler of the Wasteland if I can get a hold of a copy. Of these two The Voice of the Cult remains one of my best second hand shop finds. 

New Ratings: No Change on either. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:58am
They've changed the cover on The 7th Of Never. I have the original vinyl version along with Ruler Of The Wasteland from back in the 80's. Not surprised actually as the original was a bit naff. 

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:16am
I've never even seen that before.

By site policy it should be the cover we display...I really don't want to. Cry
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:18am
Well maybe not, according to Discogs the cover I posted above is the original cover in most countries. What you have there seems to be from a French release on a different label:

https://www.discogs.com/Chastain-The-7th-Of-Never/release/15542044

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
Artist: A Sound of Thunder
Album: Out of the Darkness
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: One of my favourite modern heavy metal bands. Out of the Darkness marks a massive improvement on their debut album, but it's still not the excellence that would follow on their next two albums. I've lost track of the band a bit more recently which is my bad, but I will definitely try to catch up with their latest output. It was sure fun to revisit this one and I'm looking forward to Time's Arrow and The Lesser Key of Solomon even more.

I actually own the first four albums plus two EPs and a single from A Sound of Thunder (those is card slipcases) - every one of them signed. 

Edited by adg211288 - 29 Aug 2020 at 8:39am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 7:34am
Artist: Cult of Luna
Album: A Dawn to Fear

Verdict: One of the more recently acquired releases that I'll put on this blog, having got this on either my birthday or Xmas last year (which are just four days apart), A Dawn to Fear was, for a time, my album of 2019. It gradually got unseated by Opeth though, but remained of course among my most beloved 2019 albums. At the time my early impression was that it was the best Cult of Luna album I'd heard yet, though the eight months since getting it have shown that to be the honeymoon period doing the talking and now I look back on Mariner, their collaboration with Julie Christmas, more fondly once again. This is however, still a masterclass in atmospheric sludge metal. So says the guy who hardly listens to atmospheric sludge metal of course, so take what I say about the genre with a pinch of salt. Believe me when I say though that I still love this album a lot.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 8:54am
Artist: Hexx
Album: No Escape

Verdict: Hexx is one of those bands whose output always seems solid, but never achieves true excellence. Their debut album No Escape for example may be a damn fine USPM album, but it suffers badly with production issues (even on my 2016 press as part of the Under the Spell boxset which also includes this album) that give it a really rough sound and not in a good way. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Well maybe not, according to Discogs the cover I posted above is the original cover in most countries. What you have there seems to be from a French release on a different label:

https://www.discogs.com/Chastain-The-7th-Of-Never/release/15542044

Strange, wonder what my local record shop was doing with the French version?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:40pm
I wonder what possessed the French to use that monstrosity instead of the main cover! LOL
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:01am
Artist: Skyliner
Album: Outsiders

Verdict: Skyliner is one of those power metal bands that seems to sit between the standards of both EuroPM and USPM, while also bringing plenty of progressive and even technical ideas to the genre. This debut album of theirs started as a 4.5 for me but over time worked it's way up to a 5 star release, which reasserted itself for me on this overdue re-listen. I didn't enjoy the follow-up so much unfortunately and never actually bought it, but I stick by my belief that Outsiders is an absolute gem of a release.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:42am
Artist: Crimson Glory
Album: Crimson Glory

Verdict: Almost as good as Transcendence but not quite, the Crimson Glory self-titled debut album is another must own USPM album. I've actually owned this one a little longer I believe, though I've certainly played it's follow-up more. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:48am
Artist: Intense
Album: As Our Army Grows

Verdict: Something I picked up cheap one time years after it was released. I recall at the time that this band was tipped to be very like Iced Earth and to some extent that's valid, but overall they're more at the heavier, thrashier end of the Euro power metal spectrum. As Our Army Grows is a solid album, but it's not one that draws me back very often and I'd all but forgotten what it sounded like before giving it this spin. I guess there's a reason we don't buy some things until we see them that cheap.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:09am
Album: Flight of the Migrator

Verdict: Ayreon's most full on metal album and as irony goes since I am first and foremost a metalhead, one of my lower rated releases by the project. It's still solid progressive metal, but Lucassen is at his best when allowing all the different influences to fly free without worrying about being strictly metal. This album did notably give us Into the Black Hole though, which has Bruce Dickinson on vocals. The rest of the songs are very good too, with starring turns from some big names from prog and power metal such as Russell Allen (Michael Romeo tags along for a guitar solo appearance too), Andi Deris and Fabio Leone. 

New Rating: 4.5/5

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 2:27am
Artist: Pharaoh
Album: Be Gone

Verdict: Pharaoh were one of the first USPM bands I got into. I used to listen to these guys a lot. It's been too long since I went through their work and they've been very quiet for much of the 2010s, their last release being 2012's Bury the Light. One band I really hope has a comeback lined up soon.

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:04am
Artist: Hexx
Album: Under the Spell

Verdict: The second Hexx album and while I do find it an improvement on their debut by a small margin, it suffers from the same problem of production issues. It really does feel like this should be better produced, have a crisper sound and should through that hit harder than it does. 

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
  Share Topic