Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 3:15am
Artist: Grave Digger
Album: The Grave Digger
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: I actually listened to this one a little while back but forgot to do this write-up. It's still the most recent entry in this series however and may be for a bit longer as I finalise my 2020 list. Grave Digger's almost self-titled record is a slight stepdown from their career defining medieval trilogy, but it's still a very solid release that I may regard even higher with more time. I do seem to neglect this one somewhat.

New Rating: For now, no change. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 6:55am
Artist: Mastodon
Album: The Hunter
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: The Hunter is ten years old this year and I still don't understand why it was so lukewarmly received when it was released. This is my favourite Mastodon album. Was then, still is today, unless something changes as I got through the others, but I'm not expecting it to. 

New Rating: No Change.
GG2U

BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 6:58am
^certainly a great album but I prefer the previous 4 albums.  Not many bands could have followed those 4 up with something as excellent as The Hunter.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:35am
Artist: Sepultura
Album: Dante XXI

Verdict: I was still a rather inexperienced metalhead when I bought Sepultura's Dante XXI on a blind buy because it was cheap. At the time, I wasn't that impressed, but liked it enough to believe that they probably had better albums out there (an ill fated journey which led me to make the utterly dismal Roots my second Sepultura album). In the years since, I've grown a lot more fond of Dante XXI. It's been a while since I played it once again, since I typically go a long time between listening to any Sepultura, but the new album Quadra has reawakened my interest in the band and once again I think that Dante XXI has gone up in my estimations. 

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 1:12pm
I have never given this a fair hearing because I have only ever had a CD-r copy. Every time I do though I find it really good.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:22am
Artist: Saviour Machine
Album: Saviour Machine

Verdict: It's fair to say that, despite quite liking this debut album, that I am not a fan of Saviour Machine (unless something changes during this Rediscovery project). And yet, I own all their studio albums, thanks to a job lot of someone's collection, which is often referenced when I go through my collection. I'm more into gothic metal today thanks to Paradise Lost becoming one of my favourite bands, than I was when I got the Saviour Machine albums, but I still don't love this album. The voice of Eric Clayton doesn't click too well for me, and didn't even when he sang on Ayreon's The Human Equation to the point that he was the biggest barrier to me giving that album five stars for many years. Unless something changes though, this is still the only Saviour Machine album that did anything for me and is a keeper.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 6:02am
Album: Saviour Machine II
Old Rating: 2/5

Verdict: I didn't care for this the first go around of the Saviour Machine albums and I still don't. Compared to the debut the band's music has moved much more toward a rather bland symphonic rock sound with only some traces of the gothic metal they were playing before. That the album is almost 75 minutes long adds up to something that, which perhaps not a complete snoozefest, just offers little by way of excitement or energy. A real what the fuck happened? kind of album. Just general feelings of 'Meh' all round. It'll be Ebay bound. I really so no reason to keep this at this point and I don't hold much hope that the Legend albums will be any different. 

Verdict: Objectively I'll keep it at 2 stars I guess. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 3:56pm
Album: Legend Part I

Verdict: This did not go well. An incredibly boring slog of an album that lasts for almost 80 minutes. After this I'm not sure I even want to listen to the next two.

New Rating: 1/5
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 12:09am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Album: Legend Part I

Verdict: This did not go well. An incredibly boring slog of an album that lasts for almost 80 minutes. After this I'm not sure I even want to listen to the next two.

New Rating: 1/5

sad to see such a negative opinion about this album. Unhappy
If you dislike this , there's no point trying the other two, I find them less interesting than Part 1 (and i love part 1, always did, my introduction to this band, I listened to it when it came out). 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:31am
Artist: Poisonblack
Album: Escapexstacy

Verdict: The Great Collection Rediscovery is returning to it's original intention for a while: that of listening to albums I own but really don't know well (mostly because of being out of that oft mentioned ebay job lot I bought). I must have enjoyed this at the time when first going through the job lot, since and gave both it and it's follow-up 4 stars, but dispute being into gothic metal now because of Paradise Lost (or maybe even because of it), Escapexstacy really didn't resonate with me with go around. It's got absolutely nothing untoward about it, but having been really into Paradise Lost's gothic work this ends up seeming comparatively bland and unimaginative. Might not be a keeper, unless the other one I have from them is better, then I probably wouldn't break them up.

New Rating: 3/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:28am
Artist: Poisonblack
Album: Lust Stained Despair

Verdict: A vocalist change brings some small improvement to this band for me, but by the end this has levelled out once again as something that objectively has nothing wrong with it, but doesn't especially excite me either. I'll probably sell these on rather than leave them gathering dust, just keeping the mp3s. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:20am
Artist: Morrigan
Album: Welcome to Samhain
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Not as bad as some make it out to be, but a rather patchy album (track 5 is especially worthless) and it seems likely that Morrigan has made better than this one. However it is the only one I have, and I like more of it than I don't. Not the most essential keeper, but a keeper all the same. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:32am
Artist: Moloch
Album: Illusionen eines verlorenen Lebens
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: This came out of a black metal job lot I bought in a time I was kind of obsessed with building a collection of obscure black metal. I must have somewhat liked it at the time to give it a 3.5 but today Moloch's brand of DSBM and dark ambient doesn't really fly with me. Too much ambient only for a metal album, God-awful vocals on the BM, pretty much all the stuff that gives my favourite genre a bad name. I don't need this. My revised rating is being kind. If you like lo-fi DSBM then you'll probably like this, but it's not for me and not a keeper.

New Rating: 2/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:34am
Artist: Manowar
Album: The Triumph of Steel

Verdict: Ah, Manowar. Either the most manly of metal bands on the planet or the most homoerotic (take your pick). Either way, they're not a band that's ever wowed me with their music. This album is okay. The long opener in some ways feels like they were trying to make their 2112, but for me it falls short of that greatness and could have used some trimming down. Everything's generally solid USPM though. It's a keeper, but I can't see myself ever buying anything else by them. I do also have The Hell of Steel compilation, which is about as much of them as I can stomach. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:45pm
Artist: Macbeth
Album: Romantic Tragedy's Crescendo

Verdict: 'Beauty and the Beast' gothic metal. Not unpleasant, nice enough atmosphere, but hardly mind blowing. Still, I think I like it enough to keep it. For now anyway. 

New Rating: 3.5/5
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Album: The Triumph of Steel

Verdict: Ah, Manowar. Either the most manly of metal bands on the planet or the most homoerotic (take your pick). Either way, they're not a band that's ever wowed me with their music. This album is okay. The long opener in some ways feels like they were trying to make their 2112, but for me it falls short of that greatness and could have used some trimming down. Everything's generally solid USPM though. It's a keeper, but I can't see myself ever buying anything else by them. I do also have The Hell of Steel compilation, which is about as much of them as I can stomach. 

If you also have The Hell of Steel, you really don't need anything else by Manowar. Fighting The World and Kings of Metal are the best two albums (the first three albums are overrated by Manowar purists), but the highlights from them are on that compilation, and you're not missing anything by not owning them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:35am
Artist: Macbeth
Album: Vanitas

Verdict: This didn't go as well as their first one. Not awful, but not very interesting either. Can't really say much on it than that. Possibly not a keeper.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:40am
That last one marked 250 CDs since starting this project! Almost 25% done. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:56am
Album: The Hell of Steel

Verdict: This has got some of the same stuff on it as the one studio album I have. It's an okay compilation from a band I don't care that much for. A keeper though.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:42am
Artist: Anathema
Album: The Crestfallen EP + Pentecost III

Verdict: This compilation of two EPs went a lot better than their actual debut album that I featured in this project ages ago and was put off listening to any more Anathema at the time. While far from top tier I found this solid death-doom metal and a keeper. I can't say at this point whether I'll feel that way about other Anathema work; they could well end up like Saviour Machine - some kept, some put up for sale.

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
  Share Topic