Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:54am
Artist: Paradise Lost
Album: Host
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: I didn't actually buy this until after this project started but I'm going through the Paradise Lost albums in order, so it doesn't really make sense not to write about it. Host is basically One Second without the metal and a whole lot more electronic. It's not a band album in its own right for the band, but the overall style is way outside my interests. Still I have found a slight appreciate for this one since I picked it up.

New Rating: 3.5/5
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:08am
Album: Believe in Nothing
Old Rating: 3/5

Verdict: Same deal as Host, this only made it's way into my collection after this project started, but again, I'm going all the Paradise Lost albums in order. They brought back the metal on this one, but existing somewhere between gothic and alternative now, with some industrial. Not a bad album per se, but it is perhaps Paradise Lost's dullest release, with no real standout tracks for me. 

New Rating: No Change. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:42am
Artist: Blind Guardian
Album: A Night at the Opera
Old Rating: 4.5

Verdict: I like this album a lot, but it's never exactly been my first choice for a Blind Guardian album. I've actually listened to A Twist in the Myth more often, yet my current rating on that is only four stars next to 4.5 on A Night at the Opera, which is probably because ANATO is one of those albums that (for me) works best as a whole, while ATITM has quite a few songs I just feel like playing on their own every so often. A Night at the Opera sits for me as the Wild Card of the Blind Guardian discography. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 7:08am
Artist: Blind Guardian
Album: A Twist in the Myth
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Following on from what I said about this on the A Night at the Opera entry, I've actually listened to this more than that album, yet I do think that overall that album is the stronger of the two. This one does though have quite a lot of great songs that I feel inclined to play outside of the context of the whole record, but I've never shock the feeling that A Twist in the Myth is lesser than the sum of its parts. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:58am
Album: Symbol of Life

Verdict: Paradise Lost in the first half of the 2000s isn't their strongest period, but it did produce Symbol of Life which may just be one of the band's most underrated albums. The mix of elements is similar to Believe in Nothing, but much more focussed on gothic metal again, arguably the most since Draconian Times, although there's also alternative and industrial metal elements like the prior album to be found here. What makes this a much better album though is they've turned it up a gear in song-writing. The band were still playing Erased from this album when I saw them on the Medusa tour, the only song featured that was released post-One Second until In Requiem's return to doomy gothic metal.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 12:36pm
Artist: Coronatus
Album: Terra Incognita
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: The second of my two Coronatus CDs. I haven't played this as much as Porta Obscura, but it's actually a damn fine gothic metal album as well, more restrained than some of their work yet still with other elements in there like folk and symphonic metal and even a thrashy song. I sort of lost some interest in the band after this one and the most I know of them today is that they change line-up so much it's hard to know who's coming, going or coming back again. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm
Album: Paradise Lost

Verdict: Paradise Lost's belated self-titled album album seems an obvious attempt to return to the gothic metal heights that they reached with Icon and Draconian Times in that it's a much more straight forward gothic metal affair compared to all other albums they did since then. The songs are more memorable than on Believe in Nothing, a key difference that earns this four stars from me, but overall this is one of the blander Paradise Lost albums. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 3:56am
Album: In Requiem

Verdict: Paradise Lost get back to doomy gothic metal and the result is their strongest and heaviest album since Draconian Times. Along with One Second In Requiem was one of the first Paradise Lost albums I got and it was my favourite of the two, but I didn't become a major fan until getting Draconian Times. Since then however In Requiem has become an album that has seen regular playtime, and I see it as the starting point of an incredible run of strong albums that hasn't yet abated with the release of 2020's Obsidian. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 3:57am
The next album featured will mark 200 since I started this project!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:44am
Album: Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us

Verdict: So here we are, album #200 of The Great Collection Rediscovery and it probably isn't much of a surprise what I picked for this milestone given how I've been mostly focussed on Paradise Lost lately - such a great band that it's very easy to go through the whole discography of and never have time to get bored due to how often they're changing things up. On this one they brought the doom metal back a whole lot more into the gothic metal sound. Some here tend to point to The Plague Within as the true point that they brought the doom back, but it's actually here, though the much more gothic Tragic Idol is stuck in between the two albums. This one is really great; heavy like In Requiem and then some because of the increased doom presence, and with perhaps less commercial sounding song-writing compared to their best known records. Not one to be skipped. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:48am
And since that was 200, as with last time here's a list challenge to recap the last 100 albums featured here. How many have you heard (and maybe hopefully checked out based on what I wrote here)?

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:30pm
Album: Tragic Idol
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: I usually consider this to be Paradise Lost's most underrated record. The seemingly oft ignored Tragic Idol (including by the band when I saw them on the Medusa tour with no songs from it played despite it only being two albums back). Only I'm honestly not sure it is, looking at RYM's averages and the amount of people who have rated it, but it sure seems that way to me (I'm surprised to find Medusa the unsung one there actually, but what can you do with RYM'ers? Most of them strike me as the type to look a gift horse in the mouth). Tragic Idol does kind of occupy a strange position of being more gothic than its predecessor's return to doom and it's follow-up's reintroduction of growling vocals though, and it's my impression that Tragic Idol sometimes gets written off as the last Paradise Lost album before they brought the growls back, which really does it a disservice. This is easily my favourite of the growlless albums in the current run of high quality records that started with In Requiem; every song is memorable and full of top notch gothic atmospheres. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

And since that was 200, as with last time here's a list challenge to recap the last 100 albums featured here. How many have you heard (and maybe hopefully checked out based on what I wrote here)?

When I used to post on the Terrorizer message board there was a Russian bloke there who went by the user name of Tragic Idol. Everyone used to take the piss out of him for it, but it really was his all time favourite record. I think he'd even managed to meet the band at one stage too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 5:40am
Album: The Plague Within

Verdict: Probably my favourite Paradise Lost album with growls, as well as overall. I like how diverse this album is. It's not quite the death-doom return that Medusa is, but after some years listening to these two albums I find The Plague Within all the stronger for it. I wasn't following the band when this came out so I missed the reaction on the return of the growls and how the band handled revealing that, so maybe someone could clue me in? Did they state beforehand that this was happening or just suddenly reveal a new song with the growls featured for instance, and what was your reaction to what I'm sure must have been an unexpected switch after all this time?

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:03am
Artist: Eye of Solitude
Album: Canto III

Verdict: This one's going to have to have a rating drop because it's just not an album I play very much. It's solid death-doom metal, but the kind of album that only hits the spot once in a while.

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:37am
Album: Medusa

Verdict: Paradise Lost's return to death-doom seems to be going down for many as a blip in their discography's currently run of quality albums, although I fail to understand exactly why. Nevertheless the evidence for this general opinion speaks for itself when you look at RYM's data: for a such a well known band, less than 1000 users have rated Medusa in three years since it's release (put that in contrast with 2020's Obsidian, which has already surpassed 1000 ratings) and while it's actual average rating is a respectable 3.40, that still puts it alongside the likes of Paradise Lost (2005) and Symbol of Life (2002) rather than everything else they've released since In Requiem (2007). Paradise Lost are a rare band on RYM where even their lowest ranked album has an average of 3+, which is testament to their overall quality (easily in my top 5 bands of all time these days), but it is surprising to see this one ranked on the lower end and perhaps more than that, how generally ignored this feels being their only album with less than 1000 ratings (The Plague Within has over 700 more ratings). I used to think Tragic Idol the overlooked one from modern Paradise Lost, but obviously isn't actually Medusa. Not for me though. Although this is not my favourite Paradise Lost album overall, it is my favourite death-doom Paradise Lost album (yes, even over Gothic), as well as my most played on Last.fm from them. 

Edited by adg211288 - 09 Nov 2020 at 4:38am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:52am
Album: Obsidian

Verdict: This has been out a while now, so may as well feature it so this run of the Paradise Lost discography is complete. I initially thought that Obsidian was a slight step down for the band after three albums I gave five stars to, but in the end I had to also give a 5/5 to this one and months down the line I'm not finding that decision to be in error. This is the band's 16th studio album, and yet they still manage to rearrange their core elements into an album not quite like any of their others, while also feeling like a retrospective of almost everything they've done before. 

This isn't the last Paradise Lost album I could feature here as I also own a compilation, but I'm now really thinking of writing about it as I had that before all but three of the studio albums and there isn't much on it to offer me now, so this series will now be moving on from Paradise Lost. There's a long way to go on my collection and still several major band's whose work I have not touched yet or only slightly. What you say all for the next discography feature? Judas Priest? Running Wild (did the debut already), Grave Digger, Helloween, Iced Earth (done the first two), I'm very open to which one comes first.

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:45am
Artist: Beseech
Album: Black Emotions
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Getting back onto the random things I got in that job lot purchase of mine from a few years ago, this is one, like many, that got listened to once and then shelved. I wasn't that into gothic metal when I got that collection, as my love for Paradise Lost hadn't yet fully emerged. But now thanks to them I'm much more open to gothic metal and I liked this record a lot lot more this time around. The lead vocals are not up to Nick Holmes level, but there's some nice gothic metal atmospheres here. 

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:48am
Artist: Beseech
Album: Souls Highway

Verdict: A bit different than Black Emotions, some of this one feels like Beseech's answer to Paradise Lost's One Second, although they haven't gone as full on with the goth rock elements as that album did. I originally liked Souls Highway more than Black Emotions when I first got these two in the job lot, but this time around I liked the former more. This one also has a weird cover choice as a bonus track, a fully gothed up version of Abba's Gimme Gimme Gimme which is surprisingly good.

New Rating: 3.5/5
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

48 for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
  Share Topic