Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 2:04am
Coming up to 100 albums since I started this project. Heard some releases that have always been favourites that I hadn't played for ages and some less played stuff that I know I haven't given enough time to. Several releases in this first 100 are definitely ones I should have in rotation more often. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Aug 2020 at 2:05am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Nightwish
Album: Oceanborn
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: My favourite Nightwish album. They always had the best sound with Tarja and playing power metal. An album of truly epic proportions. 

New Rating: No Change. 

I've never felt that overall Nightwish lived up to their reputation as the symphonic metal act, but on this one they exceed it. Wishmaster is very good as well. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
Artist: Iron Maiden
Album: The Book of Souls

Verdict: And so we come to the end of the Iron Maiden studio albums, although their chapter of this project won't really be complete until I also listen to the few live albums I have. Anyway, The Book of Souls. I love this album. I also think it is one hell of an achievement for them to have made their first double album as their 16th studio release (anyone else think they must have thought 'if Priest could do it' here?). For a long album this one goes by very fast for me. And Empire of the Clouds - wow. 

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Iron Maiden
Album: The Book of Souls

Verdict: And so we come to the end of the Iron Maiden studio albums, although their chapter of this project won't really be complete until I also listen to the few live albums I have. Anyway, The Book of Souls. I love this album. I also think it is one hell of an achievement for them to have made their first double album as their 16th studio release (anyone else think they must have thought 'if Priest could do it' here?). For a long album this one goes by very fast for me. And Empire of the Clouds - wow. 

I reckon it's a couple of songs too long, but I had a listen the other day and can't think which songs I'd actually cut.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 5:14am
^ Sounds like a paradox to me. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 5:18am
Artist: Alice in Chains
Album: Black Gives Way to Blue

Verdict: There was a time when I would have counted Alice in Chains among my favourite bands. These days I don't revisit their work too often (less than I probably should) though. I have always been an oddity among AiC fans in that I consider Black Gives Way to Blue their best album. I can't really see that changing as I go through the rest of the ones I have as part of this project.

And the next release revisited will mark 100 albums since I started this! 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:27am
Artist: Dream Theater
Album: Falling Into Infinity
Old Rating: 2.5/5

Verdict: Well aren't I the fool? I listened to this once after getting it, it didn't resonate at all, and this is the first time I've played it since. Likely because my younger self was swayed by its reputation as the bad Dream Theater album. And guess what? It mostly rocks. Not Dream Theater's finest hour by any means, but it's better than boring old Awake by a country mile. Over a decade has passed since I played a single track from this. I have really been selling this one short this whole time. 

New Rating: 4/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:32am
And with that I have covered 100 albums in this project. Recap them all here: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-great-collection-rediscovery-project-1
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 11:53am
Artist: Epica
Album: The Divine Conspiracy

Verdict: At this point in time Epica is my favourite symphonic metal band. With Within Temptation going increasingly more alternative and poppy and Nightwish seemingly content to waste all their potential with Floor Jansen, Epica have become like a breath of fresh air. The Divine Conspiracy was the first album I got from them and while I have been known at times to profess a preference to Design Your Universe or The Holographic Principle I have a feeling that this one will emerge as a firm favourite as I got through the albums of theirs that I own. They are a band that I feel like I should own the whole discography by, though this remains the earliest one I have and maybe that's fine as I do feel this to be the album they really found their sound on and I've never felt like picking up Requiem For The Indifferent as I've never seen any confirmation that new presses of the release were actually fixed after the initial was botched. Maybe one say. I find myself drawn back to this album often, especially the song Chasing the Dragon which is one of my favourite songs of all time. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:09am
Artist: Ayreon
Album: The Theory of Everything

Verdict: This is destined to become my most played album on Last.fm due to it having 42 tracks (only one of which doesn't scrobble due to being under 30 seconds). I'd honestly rather it was structured properly as four long epics. Regardless this is another excellent Ayreon release, although I am docking it half a star to balance my Ayreon ratings more since I have a tendency to rate new releases with 5 stars at first only to later put them in perspective with the rest of the discography. The Theory of Everything is less metallic than I remember it being, a lot more symph prog and folk coming into play here, but as usual it's a very accomplished release.

New Rating: 4.5/5
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:55am
Artist: Hysterica
Album: The Art of Metal

Verdict: This is a tricky one to rate because I love this album but I also cannot objectively say it's a five star release, so I'm settling on a 4.5. This really is a damn fun album though and certainly underrated by most. Hysterica is usually considered 'just' a heavy metal band, but get past the first track and it quickly becomes apparent that this isn't really the case, with the vocals changing to death growls, which then recur through most tracks on that album. The standout is Message From the Dark, a traditional doom metal song (with a few death growls), where the band shows their potential for songwriting with more depth than their usual cheesy fare, which I have to admit can be a bit derivative (Heels of Steel is obviously a play of Saxon's Wheels of Steel). But as I said, it's fun. A lot of fun. Sadly this remains Hysterica's current album with only an EP appearing since. 

As an extra random fact, this album also has the first appearance in the metal scene of vocalist Jennie-Ann Smith, the year before Avatarium released their debut. Although I can't say I can really hear her in the track she's supposed to be on and I didn't even know this for years and always thought the cleans in that track were the band's usual singer. Decide for yourself if you can hear her or not.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:16pm
Album: Design Your Universe

Verdict: For a long time my favourite Epica but expectations of The Divine Conspiracy coming out on top after these relistens is still on track. Still top tier though. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:19pm
Artist: Rebellion
Album: Born a Rebel
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: Now there's an album cover that screams 'this is metal' at the top of it's voice if ever there was one and the music delivers just that. Hard edged heavy/power metal from great vocals. Been a while since I spun this one. Rebellion are easily one of my favourite bands and although the focus of the band is usually on their History of the Vikings trilogy, this is a damn fine second offering from them. Great to play it again. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:04am
Album: The Quantum Enigma

Verdict: Not in the running for my favourite Epica album, but still excellent. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:09am
Artist: Metal Church
Album: Metal Church

Verdict: Metal Church's best and most pure USPM album (I reject the opinion of anyone who tries to say this is actually thrash). They do an excellent cover of Deep Purple's Highway Star too. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:14am
Album: Octavarium
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Er...why did I go off this one again? Because I did. 4.5 was my original rating, but it worked down to 3.5 before I was over my initial discovery phase of Dream Theater. There are a couple of blander tracks here, but the rest is high quality DT work. An album I've neglected for too long. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:11am
Album: Images and Words

Verdict: Unlike Awake, this one lives up to its reputation and continues to impress with each listen, to the point that my last misgivings over the album have dissipated and this is now a top tier album for me. 

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:51am
^ A big improvement over their debut for sure, which I actually was pretty excited about at the time down to the fact that there wasn't anything else like it. In hindsight it was a 3 star at best with the songs not hanging together too well. On Images And Words they not only improved their songwriting, they got a better singer and it also had a meatier production.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:25pm
Album: When Dream and Day Unite
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: A solid enough debut that could mostly have done with a stronger production to start with, but the songs genuinely aren't as strong as most of their later work, though I've always really liked Light Fuse and Get Away. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:28pm
Album: Sex Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Verdict: My first Dream Theater album and also surely my first prog album (though it may also have been Opeth's Ghost Reveries, I can't remember). The Glass Prison was the first DT song I heard which is why this has to be my first from them and not a more famous album. It's never been a 5 star album for me though, until now that is. There were always a couple of songs from the first disc that never clicked for me fully before (Disappear especially) but they did this time. 

New Rating: 5/5
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
  Share Topic