Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Artist: Metallica
Album: ReLoad
Previous Last.fm Srobbles: 2 (13 Tracks)
Old Rating: 1.5/5

Verdict: Huh (again). Another unpopular opinion time. Although Load and my old rating conditioned me to not go back into ReLoad with any expectations, I found this to be a better album than Load. By a whole fucking lot even. I'll never understand anyone who says Load is superior, because this one at least has several really damn good songs and doesn't drag like watching paint dry.

New Rating: 3.5/5

Keeper? Yes, surprisingly. 

This is the better album of the two Loads. I have been trying to work my way through reviewing all the Metallica studio albums, but I'm stuck for what to say on this one. Reviewing Load put me right off listening to it again, but it's the only way to do a proper review.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:07pm
My new story style St. Anger review is done.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:26pm
Album: Ride the Lightning
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 102
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: It's time to hit up the classic part of the Metallica discography now that I've done my best to fairly reappraise the post-Black Album work. Metallica are a band I don't revisit the classics of often enough. That's more true of some albums than others, but not Ride the Lightning, which is usually my first port of call when the fancy strikes for some Metallica. People may more readily point to Master of Puppets as their best work, but Ride the Lightning has long been my personal favourite. I always loved how the riffs were so fast yet they also displayed some of the most tasteful melody and acoustic work in metal. That intro to Fight Fire with Fire. Damn. If all thrash sounded this good I would listen to the genre more often.

New Rating: No Change, unless I can give it 6/5.

Keeper? People who don't keep Ride the Lightning in their collection deserve to do just that. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:38am
Album: Kill 'Em All
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 53 (10 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: After St. Anger, Kill 'Em All was my first step with working back through Metallica's older work. This album is, in my opinion, a Metallica that is actually as much a speed metal band as an all out thrash metal band. It's a pretty fun album to listen to, with lots of energy and many of these tracks number among their very best. 

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Album: Master of Puppets
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 48 (8 Tracks)

Verdict: You'd think I'd have more logged Last.fm plays of this one wouldn't you? After all, it's my second favourite Metallica album, yet I have more plays logged for both Kill 'em All and the Black Album than this one. 

Keeper? yes, and I should play it more. Early Metallica in general really. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:16am
Album: ...And Justice for All
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 29

Verdict: Despite throwing a five star rating on it when I first did my historical ratings on MMA, if there's one Metallica album I haven't just not played often enough but actively neglected, it's ...And Justice for All. I'm not sure why that is, because there's a lot of tracks I really like here and arguably its the one time in their career that Metallica did anything remotely proggy, which should make it even more up my alley. But when the fancy for Metallica comes, it rarely draws me to this album. It's usually the first three or sometimes the Black Album. 

New Rating: 4.5/5

Keeper? Yes
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:52am
It is proggy. Iā€™d argue that RTL and MOP were proggy too at times. Also try Death Magnetic.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
Maybe MoP now that you mention it, can't say I hear it on Ride. 

I posted about Death Magnetic on the previous page of the thread. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:46pm
Must have missed that one šŸ˜
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:00am
Album: Metallica A.K.A. The Black Album
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 62 (12 Tracks)

Verdict: Been meaning to write this entry for a couple of days. This will leave only Garage Inc and S&M on my Metallica revisits. I'm looking forward to one of those more than the other. But anyway, the Black Album. The thrash is all but gone from Metallica here. But this is the record that really shows that they don't have to thrash to be an excellent band. My old rating sold it short. One of my favourite heavy metal releases without a doubt.

New Rating: 5/5

Keeper? Hell yeah. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 5:24am
Artist: Dream Theater
Album: Train of Thought
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 22 (7 Tracks)

Verdict: Dream Theater were one of the first prog bands I got into. I've mellowed somewhat on the band in more recent years, which has resulted in most of my listens to their music being in the time before I had Last.fm. I've been finding more appreciation for them again recently with a purchase of Distance Over Time, which I find to be a massive return to form for than after The (Un)Astonishing. 

Train of Thought is often pointed to as their heaviest album, although I personally feel there's a few close contenders for that. It's certainly the one where they become the most influenced by alternative metal that was rising in popularity in the early 2000s. One might even argue that LaBrie is trying to covertly rap on a couple of tracks, the vocals put so far into the background compared to the normal vocals that some might miss it for what it is. For this reason I should probably be more critical of Train of Thought, based on my taste, but I have a soft spot for this album which is why I made it my first port of call on revisiting DT, rather than go through their albums in order. Some time away, having last played it in 2016, hasn't changed my overall view on it. 

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Yes. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 12:43pm
Artist: Iron Maiden
Album: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 225 (8 Tracks)

Verdict: Yeah I really don't need to rediscover this one. One of the two first Iron Maiden albums I bought (coincidentally arriving on the date 06/06/06 - a fact that would be even cooler if I'd ordered The Number of the Beast to start with). It's easily my favourite. I've played this since I've had Last.fm over two dozen times. It still floors me with every listen. 

New Rating: Seriously, it really would be a 6/5 if I was able.

Keeper? I'll probably wear this one out and have to buy it again one day. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
Album: The Number of the Beast
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 175 (9 Tracks)

Verdict: I think it's about time I accepted this as the five star album it's often claimed to be. I was never as blown away by it at the start of my time listening to Maiden as some of their records, possibly due to glass ceiling expectations due to just how famous it is among even their own work. Over time it's become one of my most played IM albums over on Last.fm, with only Seventh Son and The Final Frontier higher, the latter mainly due to obsessively playing El Dorado before the album came out.

Keeper? Yup.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:34pm

Verdict: Yeah I really don't need to rediscover this one. One of the two first Iron Maiden albums I bought (coincidentally arriving on the date 06/06/06 - a fact that would be even cooler if I'd ordered The Number of the Beast to start with). It's easily my favourite. I've played this since I've had Last.fm over two dozen times. It still floors me with every listen. 

I had this on cassette and wore it out. Can I Play With Madness? was the song which introduced me to it, but it's the song that seems to have aged worst and I now seem to look forward to least.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:42am
Album: Iron Maiden
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 91 (9 Tracks)

Verdict: I probably don't play the debut Iron Maiden album often enough when the mood strikes for them. It's very easy for me, in spite of its legendary status, to just end straight for Bruce albums. Like with Number though, it's clearly time for me to recognise this as a top tier Iron Maiden release. 

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I had this on cassette and wore it out. Can I Play With Madness? was the song which introduced me to it, but it's the song that seems to have aged worst and I now seem to look forward to least.

I personally love the track, though I prefer The Evil That Men Do out of the singles. This is an album though that these days I mainly play exclusively from start to finish every time. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 3:39am
Album: Virtual XI
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 24 (8 Tracks)
Old Rating: 3.5/5

Verdict: Now here's the Iron Maiden album that I've always been really up and down over. Often held as their worst album, my own experience with it as gone something like this:

'Hey, this is a actually pretty good.'
'Okay, it wears thin fast.'
'But at least Futureal and The Clansman are good songs.'
'It really pales when you listen to it back to back with any other Iron Maiden album, even The X Factor.'
'It's average, not bad per se.'
'Maybe I was too harsh on this.'
'In hindsight this is actually pretty good.'
'Oh wait, did I just come full circle with this thing?'
'It really isn't that good is it?'
'It is?'
'The Angel and the Gambler is definitely too long.'
'There are seven other songs here.'
'It still sounds like classic Iron Maiden.'
'Aren't we supposed to hate Virtual XI?'
'Aren't we supposed to hate Blaze Bayley?'
'Aren't we at least supposed to say it's worse than The X Factor?'
'I don't hate Virtual XI.'
'I don't hate Blaze Bayley.'
'I like this more than The X Factor.'
'It really is actually pretty good.'

Yeah I'm really going to have to revisit my review of this one. Possibly even make it a comedy review with the above mental torment over it. The silly thing is the way I am with this one I could listen to it again later and come away with a far less positive view on it, but for now I actually find this pretty solid. Not an excellent Iron Maiden album, but an underrated one.

New Rating: 4/5

Keeper? Yes.

Edited by adg211288 - 21 Jul 2020 at 3:40am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:50am
Artist: Dream Theater
Album: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 96 (12 Tracks)
Old rating: 5/5

Verdict: Oddly the only Dream Theater album I have a five star rating on. It's been a while since I last played it. My Last.fm stats are all over the place on this one due to all the slightly differently ways of formatting the title. One of those albums I had forgotten how good it was. Whether it really is the only DT album that's worth five stars to me remains to be seen though.

Keeper? Yep.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:27pm
I have always considered Virtual XI to be better than The X Factor.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 4:39am
Album: Fear of the Dark
Previous Last.fm Scrobbles: 61 (12 Tracks)
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: Ah, Fear of the Dark. One of Iron Maiden's most iconic songs and yet not always seen as an iconic album as a whole, though I know there is a faction of fans who believe Fear of the Dark to be their best. I don't count myself among them. For me this is merely a solid final outing of Bruce Dickinson's original tenure with the band and like all over 90s Iron Maiden albums, doesn't blow me away. It's the Maiden Through the Motions Era as far as I've concerned and Bruce or Blaze makes no difference. The title track is good though. As is Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Be Quick or Be Dead and From Here to Eternity are pretty fun bit not really on the level with classic singles. The rest has never resonated quite as well, but there's no track here like Virtual XI's The Angel and the Gambler that feels excessively elongated at least.

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Of course, it's Maiden. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic