Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Collection Rediscovery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:49am
Artist: Megadeth
Album: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Obtained From: Second Hand Shop
Times Previously Listened: 2
Old Rating: 4/5

Verdict: I don't exactly make much of a secret that thrash metal and I aren't best friends or that I have some issue over the ongoing reverence afforded to the so called Big 4, but I do enjoy Megadeth somewhat. I've never been blown away by anything they've done, despite managing to accumulate five of their CDs (all second hand), but that's more than I can say for the other half of the Big 4 (hint the other half does not include Metallica). This re-listen to one of their most well known records didn't change my mind on them. It's solid to my ears, nothing more. I still have a nagging feeling that I've had for a while though that I should at least also own Rust in Peace, but I still haven't bothered to take the plunge on it. 

New Rating: No Change.

Keeper? Yes.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:50am
Anyone care to nominate an album from my List Challenge to get the revisit treatment? 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:07am
Artist: Drudkh
Album: Blood in Our Wells
Obtained From: Online, somewhere or other
Times Previously Listened: 8
Old Rating: 5/5

Verdict: I didn't really need to re-listen to this one to know how I felt about it, but it had been a while. It's an excellent atmospheric/pagan black metal release. I've always found Drudkh's other work pretty solid, but this one had that something that's special yet undefinable. 

Keeper? What do you think?
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Anyone care to nominate an album from my List Challenge to get the revisit treatment? 

Creed - Human Clay?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:23am
I'd have to have listened to that to begin with to revisit it. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:28am
Oh, how about a Black Sabbath album, maybe Dehumanzier?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:29am
That's probably the Sabbath album I've played the least, so sure. I expect I'll go through all the ones I have as part of this project though. It's been a while for all of them. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'd have to have listened to that to begin with to revisit it. 

Why do you have it then?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:40am
If I was to do an entry for it in the style of these I'd put down the Obtained From field as 'ill considered gift'. 

I could never stand Stapp's voice on their singles that used to do the rounds on TV. I certainly never wanted to listen to a whole album of him. 

Really should have put it in the charity shop box by now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Dehumanizer
Obtained From: Market Stall
Times Previously Listened: At least 2 (pre-Last.fm)

Verdict: It's not as spectacular as Heaven and Hell from the Dio Sabbath albums, but it's pretty solid with a few great standard tracks like I. According to my Last.fm I haven't played it since 2010, so it was nice to hear it again. 

New Rating: No Change

Keeper? Obviously, it's Sabbath. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 May 2020 at 12:35pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:16pm
Artist: Beyond Twilight
Album: Section X
Obtained From: Online
Times Previously Listened: 11

Verdict: Sometimes I really why how I manage to leave it so long between old favourites like this. Apparently I haven't played it in full since 2013. That's a real shame on me situation. I must make myself play it more often. A progressive metal masterpiece if ever there was one.

Keeper? Fuck yeah!!!!
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:28pm
That's what I have found by going through my collection manually instead of just listening to shit on Spotify - why the fuck haven't I listened to that in such a long time???
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:38pm
It's probably because since 2013 I spent a lot more time reviewing new releases and then the last couple I've been watching more movies than listening to music. But this just shows I have far too much music I don't give enough time to without so many new albums. Probably why new releases generally don't excite me so much as they did a few years ago. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 3:03am
Artist: Lascaille's Shroud
Album: Interval 01: Parallel Infinities - The Inner Universe
Obtained From: Gift from the artist 
Times Previously Listened: 11
Old Rating: 4.5/5

Verdict: It's been a while since I played the first album of Lascaille's Shroud in full, though my favourite track Extinction: Swarming the Sun (which features sound clips from Mass Effect) is often in extra rotation. It's actually much more progressive than I recall this first one being and while not as accomplished on all fronts as the later releases, I still enjoy it very much.

Keeper? Yes.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:32am
Artist: Myrk
Album: Icons of the Dark
Obtained From: Ebay, either cheap on its own or part of job lot.
Times Previously Listened: 3

Verdict: Myrk's sole album from 2003 is a pretty standard black metal affair. The kind of album where you've heard one in the style, you've heard them all, so the best way to rate it is how good are that at that style. Well, Myrk (whatever happened to them) were a pretty solid sounding unit on this album. The song-writing is not what you'd call spectacular but it's also very far from crappy C-Grade BM and they know how to hit hard and with conviction. 

Keeper? The cheapest copy on ebay is actually in excess if £17.50 (I certainly didn't pay close to that a few years ago) but they'd have to shift the decimal point to the right to make it worth parting with.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 4:42am
Artist: Beyond Twilight
Album: For the Love of Art and the Making
Obtained From: Amazon
Times Previously Listened: 10

Verdict: It makes sense to quickly go onto this one given how much I enjoyed rediscovering Section X. Beyond Twilight's third and final album is structured as one long song broken up into 43 small fragments. The idea was for it to be able to be played in any order, giving a different experience each time, but I personally never found a CD player with a smooth enough randomiser for that to work. It's damn good as presented though, but unlike Section X it isn't quite as good as I remember it being. Now, why the fuck did I never buy their debut The Devil's Hall of Fame when I had the chance? I'm off to try and rectify that right now.

New Rating: 4.5

Keeper? Hell yeah!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
Artist: Guilt Machine
Album: On This Perfect Day
Obtained From: Amazon
Times Previously Listened: 13+

Verdict: It's been a while for this one from Arjen Lucassen's many projects. More melodic prog rock than I remember it being, with bursts of metal adding a light/heavy dynamic. Another one that I listened to a lot about a decade ago but hasn't left the shelf for a few years. It's not my favourite Lucassen work but it's one that doesn't deserve such neglect as well. My last spin was in 2015 according to Last.fm data. 

Keeper? Absolutely. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 3:52am
Artist: In Vain
Album: Ænigma
Times Previously Listened: 6

Verdict: I remember being blown away by this in 2013, but it's not a release I've returned to much since with one spin clocked by Last.fm in 2016 between then and this latest listen. It's still impressive and great to rediscover and I should probably check out more of their stuff.

New Rating: 4.5/5

Keeper? Hell yeah.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:15am
Artist: Borknagar
Album: Borknagar
Obtained From: Ebay
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 68 (10 Tracks)

Verdict: Borknagar is one of those bands I periodically have phases with and as such have accumulated a high number of plays on Last.fm, but I always struggle to accept as an actual favourite band. There are a couple of releases of theirs I love, some very good ones and some merely solid ones. This debut is their most pure black metal record and certainly them at their most raw, a far cry from what they're doing now, and my first step on going through their discography, both the ones I own (which will all feature on this blog) and the ones I don't. Maybe this time around I'll finally convince myself that they're a favourite. As far as this one goes it's in the 'very good' group, but it's not one I'd reach for as often as the two favourites. 

Keeper? Yep. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:17pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:14am
Artist: Borknagar
Album: The Olden Domain
Total Previous Track Last.fm Scrobbles: 96 (8 Tracks)

Verdict: One of the two best Borknagar albums. This is them at their most Viking Metal. Some call the debut Viking as well, but I don't really hear it too much there. I didn't really need to revisit this one as part of this project, but I thought I may as well write about every album I own on CD when I play it for the first time since starting this. This one was one those albums that it took me a long time to actually pick up after first checking it out. If I liked most Borknagar records this much I'd easily count them a favourite band. 

Keeper? Oh yeah. 

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Jun 2020 at 12:16pm
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic