List Challenges Not Related to Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Challenges Not Related to Metal
    Posted: 9 hours 42 minutes ago at 7:18am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

My current top 100 foreign language movies.

Only 12 unfortunately.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 46 minutes ago at 7:14am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Here's something I made a couple of weeks ago. Just 50 randomly picked movies I've seen. I thought I'd posted it here already but it looks like I forgot.

Only 16 for me. There are some there I really should have seen that for whatever reason I've never got around to.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 4 minutes ago at 4:56am

A fairly long one, latest update to my list of horror movies seen, now @ 480 movies/12 pages on LC: https://www.listchallenges.com/480-horror-movies-adam-has-seen

Somehow I have left the first Saw off this and apparently ever previous update despite the fact that's a movie I saw long before reaching even the 500 movie milestone. Embarrassed

Anyway, I've condensed this into a Top 100 list here (Saw included): https://www.listchallenges.com/adams-current-top-100-horror-movies

This was actually difficult to decide what to include. I've seen more horror movies than any other genre, but so few are what I'd consider even solid, let alone actual gems. I don't think it corresponds to my ratings completely - seems to be the case that I remember some more fondly that I have a 3.5 on better than I do a 4.0. Still need to balance the old ratings out I guess. 

Couple of other recent lists here that aren't doing too well for me, which kinda sucks course I put a lot of effort into these ones.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 10 minutes ago at 4:50am

Here's something I made a couple of weeks ago. Just 50 randomly picked movies I've seen. I thought I'd posted it here already but it looks like I forgot.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:05pm
^ I've been meaning to watch that - we have it on Netflix here - but I often find myself playing catch up with movies that are leaving net or Prime lately and always end up putting it off. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:11pm

13 from there, with a few I own but haven't seen yet

Got 7 on there

Also, I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Best anime movie:

The Lupin series has a zany and fast-paced tone that's really separates itself from more recent anime. This was the only Lupin movie that Miyazaki directed, and best of his films imo. And if anyone who watches it enjoys, I highly recommend both the first and second series' of cartoons from the 70's. The American dub especially (for the movie as well), as the voice acting fits perfectly with the characters.
Oh, so it's bring my own? Bring my own what? FUN?! - Ludichrist
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:53am

I have 39 in common with you. 
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:50am

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:46am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

28. Did better on this one. I've seen a few of the Asian ones, though none of the anime. Never tried any that. 

I adore anime and that's mostly what I clicked on this one. Not entirely, got quite a few others in there I've seen, but mostly anime. 33 in total. 20 of them anime.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:13am

28. Did better on this one. I've seen a few of the Asian ones, though none of the anime. Never tried any that. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:10am
I watched Nosferatu. I found it all that more creepy for being silent. I will see about finally watching Metropolis as well. 

So now I've got 1 on the early horror list. Wink

Edited by 666sharon666 - Yesterday at 11:10am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:07am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 4:01pm
Oh and you must indeed watch Metropolis if you like sci-fi. But it's even more important to make sure you get a restored version with that one (even then a lot of the film is damaged beyond the ability to repair). You need the Masters of Cinema DVD or Blu-Ray to make sure you get as much as the movie as is still around to see. And be careful not to get the older Masters of Cinema DVD from before a lot of the missing material was found. A sensational movie even with the extant damage to the film. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
I actually just found a decent copy on YouTube if you don't wish to buy it. Not sure on the legality. It claims to be the public domain version but it's clearly not based on a comparison site I just looked at. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
I'm open to pretty much anything but horror is one of my usual go to genres for movies. My knowledge of old movies, not counting Disney classics I grew up with on VHS, is limited to maybe half a dozen films right now. I'm open silent movies (always felt I should watch Metropolis for sci-fi movies - ironically Lang's M is one of the six I know I have seen that's from before 1960, but I haven't seen Metropolis), so I probably look into options for Nosferatu. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:03pm
If you're specifically after a horror film of any age I'll second the Nosferatu rec. If you're prefer not to go for a silent film though then a couple of gems are Them! and The Thing From Another World. I'd especially go for the latter if you've seen Carpenter's version. I made the mistake recently of selling my copy on which I quickly regretted and ended up rebuying it. Maybe I was subconsciously looking for an excuse to upgrade to blu-ray. 

If you do decide to go for Nesferatu make sure it's a quality restoration with translated intertitles - there's some rough versions out there I believe. I myself own the Masters of Cinema blu-ray release which is probably as good as you'll get for a movie that old. 

Edited by adg211288 - 22 Sep 2020 at 3:04pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:53pm
I haven't seen many of those, but I can easily recommend Nosferatu. Probably the most overall foreboding feeling movie I've seen, and it being silent just increases that.
Oh, so it's bring my own? Bring my own what? FUN?! - Ludichrist
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:33pm

Whipped this up since I've been watching a bit of old horror lately.

https://www.listchallenges.com/horror-the-early-years

0. Embarrassed

Yeah I don't know pretty much anything about movies of that age. 

Recommend me one to sell me exploring this kind of thing. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 4:50pm

Whipped this up since I've been watching a bit of old horror lately.

https://www.listchallenges.com/horror-the-early-years

40 out of 70 for me. I saw many of those old black and white ones from the 30's in particular when I was teenager and there was always a Saturday night double bill starting around 11pm. I've probably seen a few more to be honest that didn't leave a lasting impression on me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:38pm
A fairly long one, latest update to my list of horror movies seen, now @ 480 movies/12 pages on LC: https://www.listchallenges.com/480-horror-movies-adam-has-seen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic