Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You Love But Everyone Else Does Not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:18pm
Deicide - Insineratehymn (Just going off of the awful RYM rating it has, any seasoned death metal fans let me know if it's actually well liked! It's the only Deicide album that's stuck with me, it's got some great grooves.)
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Deicide - Insineratehymn (Just going off of the awful RYM rating it has, any seasoned death metal fans let me know if it's actually well liked! It's the only Deicide album that's stuck with me, it's got some great grooves.)

No, it is not well liked!

Insineratehymn and In Torment In Hell are widely regarded as Deicide's weakest albums, and rightly so. Glen Benton made not secret of it that Roadrunner were being dicks, and that these were contractual obligation albums banged out as fast as he could.

I wrote a not-exactly-glowing review of it for the paper, which I must find and post here some time. Just mentioning such a thing upset some local church leaders because it was so blasphemous, and one of the photographers I worked with was a happy clappy Christian and had issues with it too. I remember reviewing this and Nile's Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka from my own collection, because all the record companies were sending me was fucking Spice Girls and Kylie Minogue! So those two piles of pop slop got full on death metal album reviews on the same page.Wink Some local metalheads thanked me later because it was the only time they had ever seen metal in the paper.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:21pm
^Good to know, no surprise with Roadrunner, I've heard more crap about them before (Though that's probably with most labels.) I got Deicide's debut, Insineratehymn, and Stench of Redemption all in a used bin a couple years ago, and thought it'd be a good way to check them out finally (Finding used albums from old school death metal bands isn't common around here). Thought the debut was okay, Stench of Redemption was just eh, and Insineratehymm just ended up being the one that I liked the best out of them. So I'd say for a obligational album, it worked out fine for me at least.

Like anyone would've needed a review of a mainstream pop album all over the radio anyway, the death metal's what would need some exposure. Plus I'd have a laugh at seeing such opposites on the same page.

Edited by Unitron - 26 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm
Found it!
It's surprising how your memory plays tricks. This one had an interview with Shihad, which I have posted here somewhere, and a review of Suburbia, which was basically 74 minutes of someone mowing a lawn.LOL While I was doing this I found I'd also reviewed the Miss Congeniality soundtrack, which was fucking dreadful!

Edited by Vim Fuego - 26 Apr 2020 at 5:32pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:46pm
I'm possibly the only person on the planet that thinks Brown Album is the best Primus album 

Slayer's South Of Heaven and Megadeth's So Far So Good So What are both severely underrated, but I guess you couldn't say others don't like them per se.  Same with Pantera's The Great Southern Trendkill

I like Entombed's "Death n Roll" material way more than their first 2 albums.  Same with Xysma.

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Slayer's South Of Heaven and Megadeth's So Far So Good So What are both severely underrated, but I guess you couldn't say others don't like them per se.

These are my favourite albums by both these bands. They are also the first ones I got by both, so that might influence it somewhat.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I'm possibly the only person on the planet that thinks Brown Album is the best Primus album

I think Brown Album is a very close second! It's got such a unique sound, that not even another Primus album has. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:20am
Remembered another one, Razor's Custom Killing. My favorite Razor album and one of my favorite thrash albums, yet it's often considered their worst and many complaints towards the production. I love it, it has one of the best bass sounds in any thrash album, and M-Bro's drumming is fantastic.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:08pm
Don’t tell anyone but I like the Ripper Owens Priest albums.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 2:40pm
^ Jugulator is a great album though following album Demolition I didn't like as much. Still had a few good tracks though.

Megadeth's Super Collider doesn't get a lot of love but I think it's a great album. While it can't compete with their best it's nevertheless full of great songs.

Edited by Nightfly - 27 Apr 2020 at 2:43pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Don’t tell anyone but I like the Ripper Owens Priest albums.

I do too, including the live album. He's a fucking good singer. He's just not Rob Halford.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:12pm
I really like Jugulator as well, don't remember anything about Demolition though.

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Megadeth's Super Collider doesn't get a lot of love but I think it's a great album. While it can't compete with their best it's nevertheless full of great songs.

I agree, Kingmaker and Dance in the Rain are among my favorites of their post-2000's songs, and there's some more good stuff on there. I just think it has too much filler.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
^ Yes great tracks. My favourite is Don't Turn Your Back...
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:09am
Forgot about Helloween's two most hated albums - Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon. I understand why some dislike them, after all PBGA came after the Keepers albums and Chameleon is barely metal. There are a couple of filler songs on Chameleon, but I enjoy the album quite a bit. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Forgot about Helloween's two most hated albums - Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon. I understand why some dislike them, after all PBGA came after the Keepers albums and Chameleon is barely metal. There are a couple of filler songs on Chameleon, but I enjoy the album quite a bit. 

With Pink Bubbles... they tried too hard to consciously NOT make Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 3. I remember reading the interviews, and they were just a bit sick of it all. And then Chameleon... They lost me for a good few years after that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic