0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYM's Top 2010s Metal Albums 1: Heavy
    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:48am
The top 25 releases of Heavy Metal from the 2010s based on RYM's ratings and reviews. I plan to release one of these for at least every main genre we also include on MMA.

Personally I don't know how the eff Iron Maiden's modern masterpiece The Book of Souls is not in the top 25 heavy metal albums of the last decade (it is slouching around at number 42). My only five star out of these is Hell - Human Remains.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:53am
^ The more popular a band is the more people will also hate them and rate them down no matter what. And then you get some who do like them but are all 'classic or die'. Which probably explains why Judas Priest is up there and Maiden isn't: Firepower sounds like classic JP. Souls is modern IM through and through. 

Out of these, also went with Hell, but Curse & Chapter. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:59am
 i was torn between Judas Priest and Tribulation. Priest have the edge.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:11am
Tribulation, Chapel of Disease and Magic Circle are not heavy metal bands. 
Don't know what to choose out of the bands/albums I know. Ouch
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:14am
Priest
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Are you sure? Wink

If you are, you'd better have a word with the RYm community, because they seem pretty convinced.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:32am
Like anyone really has a clue what Tribulation play...seem to recall we settled on Gothic ourselves for no other reason than it didn't really fit into Death where the earlier ones are and RYM was more sold on that than Heavy. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:02am
LOL

I actually agree that Tribulation is not heavy metal, but I'm not going to subjectively edit the source chart to suit my personal views. It's in the top 25 on the chart, so it's on the poll.

I don't know the other two bands/albums. Heavy/Death Metal for Chapel of Disease seems an odd combo though. I'm actually intrigued to hear it now.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:17am
Yes we placed the last 2 Tribulation albums in gothic. As good a place as any I'd say. I remember there was quite a debate at the time on where to put them and nowhere else seemed more suitable.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:33am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

If you are, you'd better have a word with the RYm community, because they seem pretty convinced.

Maybe Tribulation is hard to figure out what they play, which makes them an interesting band, but I do know tey are not playing heavy metal. 

Chapel of Disease are one of a few death metal bands I enjoy. 
And Magic Circle are trad. doom metal. 

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:49am
Chapel of Disease is no doubt because it has tracks like this one:

Which is obviously very far from death metal. 

Disclaimer: this is the first and only song I've played from the band so I can't judge the rest of the album. This one I understand the Heavy Metal tag being applied to. RYM being RYM, they might be overstating its presence on the album as a whole. 

Edited by adg211288 - 01 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Chapel of Disease is no doubt because it has tracks like this one:

Which is obviously very far from death metal. 

Disclaimer: this is the first and only song I've played from the band so I can't judge the rest of the album. This one I understand the Heavy Metal tag being applied to. RYM being RYM, they might be overstating its presence on the album as a whole. 

even the song in the video is closer to traditional doom than heavy metal. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 11:27am
I listened to a bit more, not the whole thing yet because I don't have time right now.

On one hand, I can see why this would be denied as being heavy metal. The vocals are mostly growling. I personally highly disagree with the notion that you can use growling and call it (trad) Heavy Metal.

But on the other hand, much of the actual music does sound more like Heavy Metal. It's definitely not typical Death Metal by any means. I don't get any Trad Doom vibes though. I do actually get some progressive rock in this though. 

My impression is that it's an oddity hybrid release, one which I'm glad you flagged because otherwise I may not have ever checked this out, and I like what I'm hearing. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
The Judas Priest one is the only one of these I have heard, and I don't like it, so I'm not gonna vote.Smile
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:35pm
Judas Priest, Battle Beast, The Sword, Ghost (unfortunately), and Accept are the only ones I've heard. Judas Priest out of those, though Battle Beast is close and is one of my favorite cheese bands. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic