MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:28am
OK. You convinced me. I'll add a Blind Guardian album. Personally it's their ballads i don't like. I much prefer Helloween :D Speaking of which i watch some footage of their tour from last year and damn Kiske can still sing like a mutha fucker despite porking out over the years. Great idea to have both vocalists share the limelight. Gamma Ray, no. THis isn't an exhaustive list. Just one that represents some sort of innovation in the metal universe.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:19am
That's fair Mike. Gamma Ray is probably best described as continuing on from where Helloween lost their way. Tongue

For black metal, you might also consider the debut Ulver album. Everything I spoke of for Myrkur can actually be traced back to that, especially the opening track which may be the first example of a black metal track with clean vocals. 

You might also cover USPM a little more. You have some proggy types but that's not extensive enough. Sirens by Savatage is often credited as the first USPM album and would be a good pick, with other key early releases in its history being Warlord's Deliver US EP and Jag Panzer and Omen's debuts. Bands like Riot and Iced Earth took it even further in the late 80's/early 90's respectively. 

Here is a great link about USPM that you will probably find more useful than I can convey here: https://rideintoglory.com/marcos-guide-to-uspm/
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:58pm
^ i was actually considering debut Ulver. As far as i know that was the first black metal album to use choral chants. Was gonna do some research on this one before adding but it's a pretty unique album. I just don't want it to get to the point where i add every classic album. Gotta draw the line somewhere :D
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:28pm
I hear you mate. With Ulver it just suddenly struck me that I'd suggested Myrkur to you when the idea can actually be found as far back as the Ulver debut. Not to the extent that Myrkur does but if clean vocal black metal becomes more of a thing (and I genuinely believe it could do) then that first track is, unless I hear an earlier example, the roots of it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:31pm
Here's another you you might take a look into. I can't say I've heard an album quite like this one from anyone else: Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun. 

Metal is not her usual sound as she genre hops. But in 2017 she released this one: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/chelsea-wolfe/hiss-spun

This is one of those releases that had the RYM genre voting crowd very torn over what it actually was. But it's mostly been settled as a doom metal album. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:47pm
I think of new suggestions all the time for this, but although you have the Nightwish debut you should also consider the admittedly divisive Imaginaerum. This is the most unique record in their discography and one of the most unique symphonic metal albums ever made. It has much more going on in it than the genres listed on RYM would suggest: symphonic, celtic folk, power metal, prog (I'd even argue avant as well sometimes), cabaret, jazz...it's so unlike anything else in the genre. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:32am
Great work Mike. Clap

I'll have a think about any that may fit here, but for now I'll second Ulver's debut. 

Of course black metal is really quite diverse with a lot of innovation happening and not necessarily in the best known acts that you can easily do a list like this that was just black metal specific. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:19am
^ thanks Nicole Wink

i have gotten many great suggestions here and on RYM.

still checking out some of the suggestions.

Adam, spinning Hiss Spun right now. Yeah, different for doom metal for sure however i'm seeing some of her previous albums are labeled doom metal as well. Will look in to it. Thanks Approve

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
^ None of her previous albums are metal. The one before Hiss Spun may have some elements. Hiss Spun is the only metal album she's made. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic