MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments
    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:18am
Hey MMA metaheads! Check out my new list on Rate Your Music....

Ultimate Timeline of METAL MUSIC Milestone Moments

This is a list of unique METAL MUSIC moments.
A historical analysis of FIRSTS within the greater metal universe.
This is a tribute to the trendsetters and creative minds,
Who catapulted the genre  into the new arenas.
Anything missing? Any mistakes? Please do tell!
Be aware that this is NOT a best albums list.
This is a tribute to innovation.
All the album's on this list were either influential
Or they were unique in some sort of way
Which made the metal scene a more colorful genre.

So if anyone has any ideas of what to add or any corrections LEMME KNOW!!! Thanks :)

Edited by siLLy puPPy - 15 Jan 2020 at 10:19am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:53pm
1989:

World Downfall - Terrorizer. Basically invented deathgrind
Left Hand Path - Entombed. The first big album from the Swedish death metal scene.
Beneath The Remains - Sepultura. I know you have them under 1986, but this was a huge milestone album.

1994:
Burn My Eyes - Machine Head.

Others:
Cannibal Corpse probably needs a mention. I'd go for Butchered at Birth rather than Eaten Back to Life.
Carcass needs a mention. They invented goregrind with the first two albums, Necroticism was voted Terrorizer magazine's album of the decade for the 1990s (it was highly influential), and Heartwork blah blah... melodic crap.Wink
Slipknot?

That's just from a quick look, but that's a good fun, cool sort of list!Smile
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
I haven't had time to have a proper look yet but I'm looking forward to checking it out. I guess these type of things can never be fully inclusive but at a glance you seem to have most the important releases.

One that immediately comes to mind that not's there is Sad wings Of Destiny - Judas Priest.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:45pm
Thanks, Vim Wink

You're right about Entombed, Terroizer and Carcass so i added them.

Not convinced about Cannibal Corpse. They were simply joining the bandwagon.

What's so unique about Machine Head or the Sepultura album? Seems like they were also just following the trends.

Slipknot maybe. Don't know them that well but they definitely are unique. Will check them out more.

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

1989:

Left Hand Path - Entombed. The first big album from the Swedish death metal scene.
Beneath The Remains - Sepultura. I know you have them under 1986, but this was a huge milestone album.

1994:

Others:
Cannibal Corpse probably needs a mention. I'd go for Butchered at Birth rather than Eaten Back to Life.
Carcass needs a mention. They invented goregrind with the first two albums, Necroticism was voted Terrorizer magazine's album of the decade for the 1990s (it was highly influential), and Heartwork blah blah... melodic crap.Wink
Slipknot?

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:01pm
nice work... there's lots there that I don't consider very important, but all the ones I was ready to tell you to add are there LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:53pm
^ thanks :) It's a comprehensive list that covers as much ground as possible
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Thanks, Vim Wink

You're right about Entombed, Terroizer and Carcass so i added them.

Not convinced about Cannibal Corpse. They were simply joining the bandwagon.

What's so unique about Machine Head or the Sepultura album? Seems like they were also just following the trends.

Slipknot maybe. Don't know them that well but they definitely are unique. Will check them out more.

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

1989:

1994:

Others:
Slipknot?

Cannibal Corpse were the biggest death metal band in the world (probably still are) and managed to get in the Ace Ventura movie in 1994. There was a lot of mainstream interest around them, particularly for their lyrics. Tomb of the Mutilated was also the first album I remember which had a parental advisory warning for artwork as well as music. That was big.

Beneath The Remains was the album where people noticed Sepultura. They were almost completely unheard of before that. They renewed interest in thrash, and opened up Brazil and South America in general as a reliable source of metal. They were spoken of as the next Slayer. It's sort of hard to convey now what a big deal it actually was.

Burn My Eyes was a big deal at the time too. Like Chaos AD, it was a stepping stone from thrash to groove metal, and even in to nu-metal. Same as Beneath The Remains, it's hard to demonstrate what a big deal they were at the time.

These are just a couple of my observations as an aging metalhead.Wink These were milestones I remember.Smile It's your list, so do what you may! I'll have a closer look when I have a bit more time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:46am
This is great Mike. My first suggestion would be about folk metal. You have Skyclad there which is a big proto-folk metal milestone but you really should also have the first Cruachan album Tuatha na Gael (1995). Arguably it was the first of the Celtic metal style and a major turning point for the genre as a whole. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:50am
You also don't mention Blind Guardian once, which is a massive power metal omission. I'd suggest perhaps Tales From the Twilight World (turning point from speed metal) or one of the fan favourites, which is any of the next three. My personal choice would be Somewhere Far Beyond. Blind Guardian is not just a great band but very relevant on a list like this because they are probably the best known band of harder power metal and a very different breed to most acts in the genre. 

Rage could also be mentioned for the same reason. 

Edited by adg211288 - 16 Jan 2020 at 12:55am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:58am
If you want to expand on symphonic metal entries further a good one to include would be an Epica album. I'd recommend The Divine Conspiracy. Epica is probably the most major non black/death metal symphonic act taking the genre to more extreme and even progressive heights where most acts in the genre steadily get more commercially inclined. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
I'd also put forward Griseus by Aquilis (2011). Very unique black metal album.

And while I think about it, Myrkur would also be worth a mention. Possibly a controversial one among the purists out there but her largely clean vocal take on black metal is unusual. 

Edited by adg211288 - 16 Jan 2020 at 1:02am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:36am
^ @ Adam, thanks for the suggestions! I considered Blind Guardian but Helloween beat them to the power metal thing. I can't include everyone only firsts and interesting unique examples. I own all Blind Guardian albums so i'm familiar with each album. Epica sounds like an interesting case.

I'll check into Cruachan (which i'm not so familiar with) and the last two you suggested, Adam. I'm sure there are many oddballs out there i've never encountered. I just thought of quite a few yesterday that i added myself!

I'll have to chew on all this later.

@Vim. I dunna, Cannibal Corpse may be the most popular death metal band but they don't have a single album that was unique really. They weren't the first death metal band and even the parental advisory first goes to 2 Live Crew not a metal band. Sepultura might be a good consideration. Burn Your Eyes wasn't even close to the first groove metal. Pantera wins that distinction hands down. I own most Machine Head albums and i don't find them innovative or unique but thankis for the suggestions!

Do keep em coming :)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:19am
Helloween may have beat them to playing power metal but Blind Guardian's brand of power metal is quite different to that of Helloween. Especially between 1990-1995. While Helloween certainly have harder albums, especially with Deris, and also started as speed metal it's not to the same extent as what Blind Guardian were doing. Sure, you could represent this harder brand of power metal with another Helloween album, perhaps Better Than Raw, but it's not as good a showcase as Somewhere Far Beyond. Helloween are the band that influenced what most Euro PM sounds like. Blind Guardian, along with Rage, influenced an entirely different niche that went on to spawn harder bands like Grave Digger (who did of course pre-date BG, but played heavy metal before '93), Rebellion, Persauder, Savage Circus and many others. 

To not include them does a disservice to and under-represents the whole genre. That's my final pitch to have them included and if you still don't think they should be mentioned then I'll say no more about it, but I think you're very wrong by excluding them from a project like this. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:26am
the main influence Machine Head had was making 99% of metal guitarists switch to EMG81 > tubescreamer > 5150

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 16 Jan 2020 at 9:26am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:02pm
Also what about Satori by Flower Travellin' Band from 1971? Surely a key release in spreading early metal to other countries (Japan in this case). Quite Sabbathy of course so might be too close in sound for what you're looking for, but personally I'd see it as a key release to cover how metal spread so early in its timeline. Doom metal can be heard stiring in this as much as in early Sabbath too. 

Speaking of Sabbath, your Paranoid entry has the first letter of the sentence missing. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Also what about Satori by Flower Travellin' Band from 1971? Surely a key release in spreading early metal to other countries (Japan in this case). Quite Sabbathy of course so might be too close in sound for what you're looking for, but personally I'd see it as a key release to cover how metal spread so early in its timeline. Doom metal can be heard stiring in this as much as in early Sabbath too. 

Speaking of Sabbath, your Paranoid entry has the first letter of the sentence missing. 

THat's a good suggestion. I'll probably add them! I'll fix the Sabbath mistake :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:06pm
^ i'll also consider BLind Guardian and other suggestions
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:17pm

Helloween may have beat them to playing power metal but Blind Guardian's brand of power metal is quite different to that of Helloween. Especially between 1990-1995. While Helloween certainly have harder albums, especially with Deris, and also started as speed metal it's not to the same extent as what Blind Guardian were doing. Sure, you could represent this harder brand of power metal with another Helloween album, perhaps Better Than Raw, but it's not as good a showcase as Somewhere Far Beyond. Helloween are the band that influenced what most Euro PM sounds like. Blind Guardian, along with Rage, influenced an entirely different niche that went on to spawn harder bands like Grave Digger (who did of course pre-date BG, but played heavy metal before '93), Rebellion, Persauder, Savage Circus and many others. 

To not include them does a disservice to and under-represents the whole genre. That's my final pitch to have them included and if you still don't think they should be mentioned then I'll say no more about it, but I think you're very wrong by excluding them from a project like this. 

So which Blind Guardian album would you consider a single moment when the band added something new to power metal? I know they added choirs and more epic classical elements on Tales From The Twilight World. They were certainly more progressive than Helloween.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
@ Adam. Actually i already added Cruachan. Their first EP Celitca
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:20am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

So which Blind Guardian album would you consider a single moment when the band added something new to power metal? I know they added choirs and more epic classical elements on Tales From The Twilight World. They were certainly more progressive than Helloween.

The first two albums are obviously more speed metal. Tales From the Twilight World is their first power metal album but it still has speed metal elements. On Somewhere Far Beyond they refined this sound. However either would be an acceptable inclusion. As an aside they are also a good example of a metal act who knows how to do soft ballads right. 

You've also got to remember that Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys albums actually have a very old school sound very like trad heavy metal. They don't fully represent the refined genre of power metal any more than early Black Sabbath represents fully refined heavy metal. Helloween also drifted from what they'd created heavily through the remainder of Kiske's era. Some may call Pink Bubbles Go Ape power metal, but it's really only got a scant few elements and Chameleon is pretty laughable to even consider a metal album. It was only when Deris took over that they returned to power metal and produced anything that might be considered in the same harder power metal league as what Blind Guardian were doing. By that time Blind Guardian had released both Tales and Somewhere and further refined the genre as a whole along with its harder German sound. Of course in terms of refining a sound, you can't discount Gamma Ray either, although I don't personally consider them landmark until Kai Hansen became the lead vocalist for Land of the Free. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic