Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grunge Favorites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grunge Favorites
    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:59pm
Recently got in the mood for grunge, so what are some of your favorite bands, albums, songs, etc.?

Soundgarden will always be my favorite grunge band, but some bands/albums I've been really enjoying recently include:

Hater
Skin Yard
Toadies - Rubberneck
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:18am
I've never delved that into grunge except for Alice in Chains, who I've always considered much more on the metal side of things. Nirvana, of course, though they're not a band I've returned to often after discovering them in my teens. Liked what Pearl Jam I've heard from my Dad's collection and the few Soundgarden singles that popped up on UK rock/metal TV stations when I was a teen. That's about where my experience of Grunge ends. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:33am
Spookily I had Mellon Collie on this morning.

Adam you need to do more than listen to a couple of Soundgarden singles. Get your ears around Superunknown or Badmotorfinger right away young man šŸ˜‰
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:49am
Not my favorite genre. I've always considered a lot of it pop punk with some metal flavors.

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are top bands of all time.

Beyond that Green River, Afghan Whigs and Nirvana is ok but way overplayed so i avoid them.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:50am
Oh, i guess Smashing Pumpkins as well but i've always considered them alt rock
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:03am
Melvins if that counts LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:20am
Nirvana, fine. They don't deserve all the hype, but were a good enough listen. Beyond that? Forget it!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I've never delved that into grunge except for Alice in Chains, who I've always considered much more on the metal side of things. Nirvana, of course, though they're not a band I've returned to often after discovering them in my teens. Liked what Pearl Jam I've heard from my Dad's collection and the few Soundgarden singles that popped up on UK rock/metal TV stations when I was a teen. That's about where my experience of Grunge ends. 

Definitely check out more Soundgarden, pretty much everything minus Down on the Upside is fantastic. 

I think you'd really like the Polish grunge band Hey, when I heard this song I actually thought of a grunge version of Arkona: 

and this is my favorite from them:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Not my favorite genre. I've always considered a lot of it pop punk with some metal flavors.

Uh...can't say I've ever heard that description before. Don't see it, the only grunge band that really had any pop punk element was Flop. What kind of bands were you thinking of?

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Melvins if that counts LOL

They sure do count, at least to me.

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Nirvana, fine. They don't deserve all the hype, but were a good enough listen. Beyond that? Forget it!

I thought you liked L7?

Edited by Unitron - 11 Dec 2019 at 12:47pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:21pm
I deny the existence of a genre called grunge (to me itĀ“s just heavy rock). I never use that Word when reviewing artists that other people label that. But in the spirit of this topic I of course understand which artists are meant, and ƏĀ“ll play along....

Alice in Chains has always been my favorite from that era. I enjoy Soundgarden too and some Nirvana, but other than some songs Pearl Jam never did much for me. Although from San Diego, Stone Temple Pilots are often also mentioned along the other mentioned artists, and I enjoy some of their material too.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I thought you liked L7?

Yep, but I wouldn't have called them a grunge band.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I deny the existence of a genre called grunge (to me itĀ“s just heavy rock). I never use that Word when reviewing artists that other people label that. 

I get that, personally I live in my own world where grunge, stoner, and doom (the 70's styled doom of Saint Vitus and such, not bands like Candlemass and the sub-genres of doom) are virtually the same thing. They're all similar in sound to me, basically a revival of late 60's/70's heavy metal at their core with a varying amount of other influences. So in my music player, I have them all as one category.

But I know how different my definitions are (After all, I consider Meshuggah to be groove/nu metal), so to avoid confusion with others I just went with a basic grunge topic. Easier than calling this topic 'grunge, stoner, and doom favorites', because other people might not see them as so close together as I do.

EDIT: For what term I use to blanket all the aforementioned music though, it's grunge. Mainly because I think it accurately describes the music (grungy: dirty, grimy) and I love plaid flannel lol.

Edited by Unitron - 11 Dec 2019 at 11:39pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 9:07am
^ if I understand your definition, it makes my list much longer (QotSA, Monster Magnet, Earthless, early Motorpsycho, late Xysma...)
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 10:27am

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I deny the existence of a genre called grunge (to me itĀ“s just heavy rock). I never use that Word when reviewing artists that other people label that. 

I get that, personally I live in my own world where grunge, stoner, and doom (the 70's styled doom of Saint Vitus and such, not bands like Candlemass and the sub-genres of doom) are virtually the same thing. They're all similar in sound to me, basically a revival of late 60's/70's heavy metal at their core with a varying amount of other influences. So in my music player, I have them all as one category.

But I know how different my definitions are (After all, I consider Meshuggah to be groove/nu metal), so to avoid confusion with others I just went with a basic grunge topic. Easier than calling this topic 'grunge, stoner, and doom favorites', because other people might not see them as so close together as I do.

EDIT: For what term I use to blanket all the aforementioned music though, it's grunge. Mainly because I think it accurately describes the music (grungy: dirty, grimy) and I love plaid flannel lol.

I remember a guy from university who didn't like the term grunge, so he called grunge bands hardcore.Wink Completely wrong of course, but it kept him happy!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:20am
^Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, but hey whatever works.

^ if I understand your definition, it makes my list much longer (QotSA, Monster Magnet, Earthless, early Motorpsycho, late Xysma...)

Yeah, never heard of Earthless or Xysma, but I include QotSA, Monster Magnet, and early Motorpsycho by my definitions.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:13pm

^Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, but hey whatever works.

Yeah, never heard of Earthless or Xysma, but I include QotSA, Monster Magnet, and early Motorpsycho by my definitions.

Xysma started off as a death/grind band, then went to Entombed style Death n Roll briefly, but from their album Deluxe and on they were all over the place

Earthless is old school stoner/psych hard rock and maybe doesn't quite fit the same mold.  Mostly instrumental, but I like their songs with vocals the best

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 12 Dec 2019 at 12:34pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:18pm
I'm a fan of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Nirvana, who have all already been mentioned.  I think that my only addition to this thread would be The Screaming Trees, who had a number of good albums and received some radio play with the song Nearly Lost You.   Oh, and Temple of the Dog with Hunger Strike.

Edited by rushfan4 - 12 Dec 2019 at 12:21pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:28pm

Xysma started off as a death/grind band, then went to Entombed style Death n Roll briefly, but from their album Deluxe and on they were all over the place

Good stuff, especially this song. Definitely hear the Entombed styling, and the Robot Chicken-esque stop motion in the video is cool. Any particular album you'd recommend first?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:30pm

Good stuff, especially this song. Definitely hear the Entombed styling, and the Robot Chicken-esque stop motion in the video is cool. Any particular album you'd recommend first?

Deluxe or Lotto.  The previous album First and Magical is not far off if you don't mind death metal vocals.  Deluxe has them too, but less so, and is the most eclectic album.  Lotto is a blend of stoner, garage rock and pop punk that I really love as well.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 12 Dec 2019 at 12:31pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:39pm
^Thanks, I'll probably start with Lotto and then work my way backwards.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:37pm

^Thanks, I'll probably start with Lotto and then work my way backwards.

Nevermind, Lotto isn't on Spotify and there's only a few songs from it on YT. I guess I'll be starting with Deluxe then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic