Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ways Metal Could Develop in the Future

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ways Metal Could Develop in the Future
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:04am
Over the last 20 years we have seen metal continue to develop with new sub-genres like Blackgaze and Trance Metal being invented and others rising in prominence such as Djent. This is in spite of many non-metalhead naysayers long have the nail in our collective coffin (and that of rock music in general). 

It makes me wonder just how metal will continue to develop over the next decade and beyond. What new sound fusions either haven't been explored at all or are currently very obscure. What bands that already exist might one may be considered precursors to a new genre? Who's doing something unique now? How to you feel about the way metal has change since the turn of millennium? 

I thought this might be an interesting thing to discuss as we come close to the end of the 2010s.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:15am
Well nintendocore (thank the gods) was a bit of a dead-end, but shows trends and scenes can come from left-field.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:42am
A lot of modern developments seem to put the genre as whole in touch with genres that metalheads maybe don't traditionally like too much or at least more and more away from the actual metal roots. Even blackgaze seems to have turned the traditionally most grim, frostbitten and evil of metal genres into something much more tame. 

Is that really the kind of development the average metalhead wants? 

But with that said there are always going to be traditionalists. There will always be something for everyone. And I like to think that innovation will never stop. And also that while EM squeals about things not being metal we'll proudly be cataloguing it all as part of the genre's history. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:33pm
One person projects are becoming a lot more widespread because it's so easy to distribute stuff online via Bandcamp or YouTube. I can't see that slowing down. Admittedly it's mostly shit, but occasionally the odd gem turns up.

I think grindcore and black metal will continue to push boundaries, and further experiment with different genre and instrument combinations. 

And young thrash bands have finally figured out they don't have to be fucking DRI/Municipal Waste clones! There's still unexplored ground to be covered there.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
Black metal became my favourite genre because it started to come across as actually being a lot more innovative than even Prog. I'm not that sold on Blackgaze as a movement that gained some traction in the last decade, but there's plenty of great stuff going on in black metal. 

Hail Spirit Noir - now there's one hell of a band with a special sound that not many are doing. 
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Black metal became my favourite genre because it started to come across as actually being a lot more innovative than even Prog. I'm not that sold on Blackgaze as a movement that gained some traction in the last decade, but there's plenty of great stuff going on in black metal. 

Hail Spirit Noir - now there's one hell of a band with a special sound that not many are doing. 

I love the diverse innovation of black metal as well but i wouldn't say it's more innovative than prog but probably because i've listened to a lot more obscure prog :)

I love Hail Spirit Noir! I just made a psychedelic black metal list on RYM. That's an up and coming hybrid for sure. Where metal goes is hard to tell but i can guarantee it's not going away any time soon :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:34am
One way death metal is evolving is by taking on psychedelic features and even soundtrack qualities. The new Blood Incantation is all over the place in its death-doom core but also tackles other metal styles
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:25am
 Metal has already gone off in so many directions with so many genre crossovers, both metal subs and genres not associated with metal, that it's hard to think of what hasn't already been done. There's sometimes minor crossovers probably most of which won't develop into a new sub but as for something totally new and radical? I really can't think what that might be but I await it with an open mind.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:48am
So here's the thought that occurred to me today. Now, this has been done to some extent already and for quite a while, in fact it at least goes back as far as Ulver's debut Bergtatt, but I haven't yet found an artist that embraces the idea 100%. 

Clean vocal black metal. 

I know, it really goes against the idea of what black metal is about. But black metal has long moved on from what bands like Mayhem and Burzum created in the original Norwegian scene. Particularly in melodic and (especially) atmospheric black metal acts, clean vocals are being used more and more extensively. 

And it actually works. 

A few examples of black metal acts that have used extensive black metal vocals already are Myrkur, Midnight Odyssey and Winterhorde. Myrkur is the most invested in the approach, featuring very minimal use of growls across two records. 

Purists won't want to hear it (though probably don't bat an eye at Ulver) amd as its not actually anything new I can't truthfully say I foresee this developing significantly further in the 2020s, but you never know. It's something that's been put into the limelight a bit because of Myrkur and I for one would be interested in the results. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
I don't think it'll really develop until metal fans embrace what nu metal did and stop dissing hip hop and electronic music. Nu metal was bringing in influences from hip-hop and non-industrial electronic music, which were both younger genres back in the 90's. There have been so many developments within those two since then though, that there's endless possibilities.

Imagine a metal band taking elements from Vaporwave, Drill and Bass (I'd love it if some thrash band came around with Squarepusher-esque chaotic breaks.), Glitch Hop, Jazz Rap, Experimental/Abstract Hip Hop, Big Beat (Big Beat groove metal please). There's so much to work with that could be great, but bands just won't.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:19pm
Yeahs I suppose that any development in the wider world of popular music could have a crossover with metal. I guess it’s whether those acts become scenes or remain curiosities?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:32pm
Doesn't really matter, no kind of music truly dies. It all depends on if there's any musicians wishing to combine two or more kinds of music they like. If I knew anything about synths, sequencers, turntables, samplers, drum machines, programming, and rapping (lol I'd probably have awful flow if I tried) I would love to combine various electronic genres, hip hop, and metal. 

Vaporwave has shown itself to be a serious music genre, not just a meme. I could actually see in the future some sort of combination of it with some kind of metal. Maybe something slow and sludgy, that would contrast well with the laidback quality of vaporwave.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:36pm
I need to look up vaporwave - sounds like a brand of e-cigarette πŸ˜‰ Shit Khaliq, I’m getting old πŸ˜‚
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:53pm
I can't say I'm overly familiar with it myself yet, but I've heard a bit of it and it's based heavily in using sampling in unique ways. James Ferraro's Far Side Virtual is considered one of the best albums in the genre:

This is my favorite (Honestly isn't far from sounding like a modern Trans Europe Express):

Edited by Unitron - 27 Nov 2019 at 11:54pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Drill and Bass

Funnily enough I just moved an album tagged as 'drill and bass' on RYM out of AGM that had metal secondaries. 

First time I've heard of that genre. LOL
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 1:43am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Drill and Bass

Funnily enough I just moved an album tagged as 'drill and bass' on RYM out of AGM that had metal secondaries. 

First time I've heard of that genre. LOL

Holy shit, I'll have to check that album out. Never knew there was anything out there that combined the two.

The glory of drill and bass:

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I need to look up vaporwave - sounds like a brand of e-cigarette πŸ˜‰ Shit Khaliq, I’m getting old πŸ˜‚

It's f'kin' horrible!LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:26am

I don't think it'll really develop until metal fans embrace what nu metal did and stop dissing hip hop and electronic music. Nu metal was bringing in influences from hip-hop and non-industrial electronic music, which were both younger genres back in the 90's. There have been so many developments within those two since then though, that there's endless possibilities.

Imagine a metal band taking elements from Vaporwave, Drill and Bass (I'd love it if some thrash band came around with Squarepusher-esque chaotic breaks.), Glitch Hop, Jazz Rap, Experimental/Abstract Hip Hop, Big Beat (Big Beat groove metal please). There's so much to work with that could be great, but bands just won't.

I hear that but despite its loudness, many metalheads are fairly conservative and like to have a genre of music outside of other influences. There are many avant-garde metal bands that have already mixed hip hop, jazz rap, big beat etc into the mix. Just not very popular.

THere's some cool vaporwave out there but i can't say i'm driven to explore it thoroughly. Great ideas don't always translate into pleasant listening experiences however i've heard some cool stuff. For those not in the know, check out the RYM description

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/vaporwave
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

There are many avant-garde metal bands that have already mixed hip hop, jazz rap, big beat etc into the mix. Just not very popular.

What metal band has used big beat? Never heard of any doing that, but I'd love to hear it.

The problem is that many metal bands these days that are willing to mix different sounds only use critic-approved genres like free/avant-garde jazz, shoegaze, math rock, post-rock, etc. The current metal scene seems full of either this pretentious closed-minded attitude or desperate to please critics, and I think that's why I don't listen to much new metal these days, mainly just bands I already know I like.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:17pm
^ I've heard many bands use various weird styles. Yeah for the most part it's all by the books but there are a few bands that are just too wild to be contained. I can't remember the big beat metal hybrids but i've heard some sampled from my Avant-Garde Metal list on RYM.

The band Diapsiquir for example mixes various metal styles with experimental hip hop and industrial on the album A.N.T.I.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic