MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rate Your Music's Top 20 Metal Albums of the 2010s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rate Your Music's Top 20 Metal Albums of the 2010s

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Got a favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
3 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate Your Music's Top 20 Metal Albums of the 2010s
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:33am
This list is obviously subject to change on the source, but this current represents the top 20 albums of the last decade that have ended up on RYM's (sadly much better than our own) chart for metal.

What do you all think? Got a favourite of these? See any glaring omissions? Or maybe something that just makes you want to let out a big 'ah HELL No!'? Tongue

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:55am
Vektor...they're good and all but I've never been that floored by their music, for all its technical mastery. Both albums there are good but two in the top 20 for the decade? Think that's my definite 'Ah Hell no' moment. LOL

Feel the same about Mgla and black metal to a lesser extent. Good but not that good. I do really like Exercises in Futility but it's not top 5 by a long shot. 

That Ne Obliviscaris album is bloody brilliant though. For some reason I never listened to their later ones, but that first is a masterpiece. 

Going to have to give my vote to the top album though. Deathspell Omega. Must check out their new one as well. Not sure I'd say it's my favourite of the last decade but it's one of only a couple on this top 20 that makes me smile. 
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:11am
I'm the total opposite, in that basically nothing else on the list appeals to me at all (except Agalloch, which is awesome) but Vektor pretty much take thrash and turn it into pure art, with their technical mastery and complex arrangements, without sacrificing the intensity and energy of the genre. No thrash band is likely to ever match what they can do, imo. I love both albums, but I give the slight edge to Terminal Redux.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:31am
There's one album on there I would consider essential (Behemoth), but I could quite happily live the rest of my life without ever hearing the rest. And Vektor... so, so overrated!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:26am
Exercises in Futility, Marrow of the Spirit, All We Love We Leave Behind, Ecailles de Lune

I'm sure if I checked my library there would be a few I rate above those, but not by much
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Vektor...they're good and all but I've never been that floored by their music, for all its technical mastery. Both albums there are good but two in the top 20 for the decade? Think that's my definite 'Ah Hell no' moment. LOL

Feel the same about Mgla and black metal to a lesser extent. Good but not that good. I do really like Exercises in Futility but it's not top 5 by a long shot. 

I find with RYM, slightly "niche" stuff ends up with inflated ratings, because only people who are into it already will be listening to and rating those albums

Looking through the top 100, Kayo Dot's Hubardo, Cult of Luna's Mariner and Chelsea Wolfe's Hiss Spun I also rate highly
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:44am
From the rest of the top 100, I enjoyed these ones:

Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear (2019) - my current AOTY
Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas - Mariner (2016)
Haken - The Mounatin (2013)
Panopticon - Autumn Eternal (2015)
Cult of Luna - Vertikal (2013)
Panopticon - Roads to the North (2014)
Septicflesh - The Great Mass (2011)
Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper (2017)
Haken - Visions (2011)
Accept - Blood of the Nations (2010)
Saor - Aura (2014)
Wilderun - Veil of Imagination (2019)
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance (2011)
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun (2017)
Spectral Lore - III (2014)

The Spectral Lore album would figure much higher for me. The new Wilderun is very good but doesn't outrank their debut for me. I would swap both Panopticon albums for Kentucky. 

Major omissions for me from the top 100:

Lovebites (both albums, but especially the first one)
Lascaille's Shroud - The Roads Leading North
MindMaze - Resolve
Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna
Paradise Lost - Medusa
Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
Epica - The Holographic Principle
Ayreon - The Source
Winterhorde - Maestro and Underwatermoon
Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
Avatarium - The Girl With the Raven Mask and self-titled
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
Dark Design - Prey for the Future
Seven Kingdoms - The Fire is Mine
Xandria - Neverworld's End
MorningStarlett - MorningStarlett
Factory of Dreams - Melotronical
Haken - Aquarius 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:12pm
some others I'd include in my personal list
Old Man Gloom - The Ape of God (I) and (II)
Vaura - Selenelion
Lord Mantis - Pervertor
Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones (I saw they have their other album in the top 100 though)
The Morningside - Treelogia
Shining - Blackjazz

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
there are more albums beyond the top 20 that I enjoy than in the top 20. LOL

Edited by LittleBig - 19 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:24am
You know what, for my money Threshold - Legends of the Shires should be in here. I'm actually confused looking back why I only have a 4.5 rating on it and why it's so low on my 2017 list. I have played that album far more than 3/4 of what I have ranked above it. Confused

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Nov 2019 at 6:25am
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:00am
I don't know why MGLA is so popular. I find them rather mediocre. I'm not really in agreement with this listing but definitely some great albums. I chose Gorguts' Colored Sands. That's a magical experience.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:10am
Colored Sands is a great album - play that one quite a bit 👌
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:01am
I´ve chosen Gorguts. Only a few of those I listen to on a regular basis.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:58pm
I'll have a good look at the full list when I have more time but from the top 20 I'd go with Gorguts. The Blood Incantation album is not released until the end of the month so not sure how that's made their list already unless it's kicking around on Bandcamp or similar as a pre-release but it's deffinitely one I want to hear. In fact I have it pre-ordered as I was very impressed with the last one.

Vektor and Behemoth I rate highly too but most of those wouldn't trouble my own list.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:19am
According to a comment on the RYM page the Blood Incantation album was released by accident on Bandcamp early a lot of people managed to get it before it was took down again. 

And you know that as soon as even one person gets it that's it: it's out there being shared. 

Tomorrow is the proper release date. I'm interested in hearing this one. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:31pm
^ Ah that explains it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Don't like, don't care, or haven't heard these. Out of what I've heard I guess Terminal Redux is the least worst, but even then it's just okay. Never understood the hype around Vektor, it just sounds like Slayer with pseudo-spacey sounds.

As far as metal goes, best of the '10's would either be Chevelle's The North Corridor or Korn's The Nothing, but RYM wouldn't be caught dead with either of those in their top 20 or even 100 albums lmao.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic