MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ningen Isu - Japanese doom/stoner metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ningen Isu - Japanese doom/stoner metal
    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 9:34am
So, a few weeks ago I heard a song from Ningen Isu's latest album "Shin Seinen" and I loved it.

That prompted me to check out the band on Wikipedia and next on MetalMusicArchives. What did other MMA folks think? Oh, wait. Ningen Isu are not on MMA. Bummer. 

I checked Encyclopedia Metallum and there they were.

Now it was time to order music. I ordered their 2014 release "Budai Houjou" which has this awesome song (at least one YouTube reaction video with two dudes being totally impressed!).

And then their third album...

The Bomb March Song (my rough translation from the Japanese)

and then I just had to order their latest album and their second album.

Don't you think these guys sound like a cross between Black Sabbath and Budgie?

I had to order four more albums. Then I found that four of their albums are hard to find and I tracked down one of them and placed a request through HMV to acquire it.

Ningen Isu - The Human Chair - was formed in Aomori Prefecture in northern Japan in 1987. Their debut came out two years later and their recent release is their 22nd studio album. They have a few DVDs, live albums, and compilations.

There's an article about them on The Metal Observer and quite a few reaction videos on YouTube. For most of their career they have not been known outside Japan and even then kept mainly an underground following. After 20 years in Japan, I only first heard of them last month. They played Oz Fest in Japan a few years back and are looking to perform in Germany next year (their first concert abroad?).

They are described as stoner metal, doom metal, hard rock, and progressive rock. In the metal observer interview, they talk a lot about having groove. A lot of their songs remind me of Fairies Wear Boots by Black Sabbath or songs like "Guts" and "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" by Budgie. The band members talk about Black Sabbath, Budgie, Kiss, Uriah Deep, Nazareth, The Beatles, Cheap Trick, Saxon, Judas Priest, Queen, The Police, Mountain, and other bands they like.

What do you think? An obvious candidate, no?

A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
I'll have to try some of those links again.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 7:25pm
I found them on ProgArchives.
The latest album and latest compilation album are not included there yet.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 11:25pm
Sorry Peter, I’d not seen this. If you’re happy to add them and they’re on EM anyway, I’d go ahead mate. You have the authority to make that decision. Looks like a fairly meaty project 😉Thanks.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:05am
Thanks for getting back on this one. I'd love to add them. But I haven't added any of the bands I got clearance for over the last year or so. Slik Toxik, Sven Gali, Headpins, and even a porto-prog band, Clear Air. There are a few others too like Aggression, Disciples of Power, and I think Obliveon. Lots to do, for sure!

Well, I will see what I can do. Are there any shortcuts? Or do I need to add every album on my own?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 3:10pm
It can be a bit daunting when the backlog builds up. I've a couple of thousand sludge bands still to go before I start on hardcore ;-) 

There's no easy way of doing it except to start at the beginning and gradually wade through them. If you want me (or another collab) to pick up any, ask and I'll try and fit it in.

You might also have a go at this tool that basically mines EM/MA if the band's on there. There's still a bit of organising to do and you still need to add releases one by one but it speeds up the formatting for large discographies (assuming of course that EM has the band on its site) - 

Personally i don't use the helper as it's as quick with practice to do it without, but others have found it useful. I hope the tool still works. It certainly used to.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 3:49pm
^ It still works, I use it all the time and find it makes things quicker.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 4:46pm
Here's the direct link to download the program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm4knjzubyqiktm/MMACollabHelper_1.2_RC5.zip?dl=0

This is another handy program that came over from someone on PA: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=AFT+v1.4.zip

This one is handy if you have something that the first one can't help you with, at least regarding track times, the adding up and formatting of. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 8:02am
Thank you all. Yes, the track times! As DamoXt7942 on PA has already added all the studio albums and at least three of the compilations (didn't check about the newest one) plus some DVD's I think, I can hopefully just copy and paste his work and then make any necessary formatting changes. But I might also check out the suggestions left for me. 

I'm really thrilled about this band and now have 13 of their 21 studio albums, and I only got into them around the end of September. I just have very little time to do all the things I want to do. And work is getting busier now. Maybe it will be a winter holiday project?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 1:28pm
I should give them a listen then. Sounds like I’m missing out 😉
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
The reaction videos to their latest single are pretty good. The English title is Heartless Scat. People are flipping out over the song.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic