MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I log on to the main site?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis_de_Sousa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I log on to the main site?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:32am
Hi there,

I have this account here at the Forum, but it does not allow me to log on to the main site (to post a review, for instance). Do I need to create a separate account?

Thank you.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:43pm
It's the same account but the main site can act irregularly when a user name has non standard characters in it (such as your's having an í instead of an i). Try changing your username on the forum to use a standard i and then try again. If that doesn't work get back to me. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Luis_de_Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis_de_Sousa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:56am
Hi adg211288,

*í* is character number 237 in the ANSI table, it is a standard character. I would hope for MMA to be more culturally inclusive. 

I checked in the Edit Profile menu, it does not allow me to change the user name. Some years back I had a similar issue at ProgArchives (perhaps you share the same code base?). About 2 years ago the problem went away after an update to the web site.

Cheers. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:03am
The standard ASCII code set only includes up to number 127. Anything after that on the ANSI table is from the extended character set and so is not standard. It is nothing to do with being 'culturally inclusive' as you put it because we're talking about technological standards. While I do agree it would be better if the site was designed to use the extended set, unfortunately it is not. 

Regarding changing your username, I can set this up for you, with your go ahead. If I do, you may need to log-in to the forum again afterwards. 
GG2U

Luis_de_Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis_de_Sousa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:16am
Please change my user name, if you think that solves the issue.

To your first comment: you seem to be referring to the old ASCII 7-bit character set defined in the 1960s by ASA, which was an American standard and was never adopted internationally. The international standard currently denoted with ANSI is ISO-8859, which is an 8-bit character set that naturally includes the character *í*. 

Cheers.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:00am
I'm not about to argue what counts as standard and what does not. The hard fact of the matter is that this site doesn't like characters with acutes or similar and also has problems with other alphabets (such as Cyrillic) - at least other users have had this problem in the past and changing their usernames has solved the issue. I have changed yours now, if it doesn't work then please get back to me and I'll try to find out what's really going on. 
GG2U

Iwan Ruby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Ruby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It's the same account but the main site can act irregularly when a user name has non standard characters in it (such as your's having an í instead of an i). Try changing your username on the forum to use a standard i and then try again. If that doesn't work get back to me. 

i also experienced the same thing, i almost made a new topic to ask this! I can't change it myself through control panel, does it really have to go through admin help to do it?
should i message you, to requesting a new username?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 1:18pm
I don't see that your username has any issue - are you getting any error message when trying to log in?

We keep getting this come up for no reason that we can determine, only that it seems to be somewhere on the user end: Some users who have had this same problem in the past have allowed me to try logging in with their credentials to see if I can replicate the error and it always works fine on my system without having to change a thing. Often I just change their password for them and then it will work. If you want me to do this for you, just drop me a PM. 
GG2U

Iwan Ruby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Ruby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
yes, i've tried it several times and it always shows up 'invalid', ok i will change my password, hope it works! if not, i will PM you..
BillsBaals99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillsBaals99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 1:10pm
I am having a similar issue. And it is not a matter of characters used. I can log into the forum section, but not the main site for reviews. I tried troubleshooting the fact that I might have forgotten my password, but I double checked by logging into the forum section multiple times as opposed to not being able to log into the main site at all.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the reply.
BillsBaals99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillsBaals99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 2:27pm
Addendum;

After troubleshooting the problem multiple times through trial and error, I believe I solved the issue in my case.

I found that it doesn't matter if your password for the forums has capital letters or special characters.

It DID however matter for the main site (do not include capital letters or special characters).

Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope this helps someone in the future!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image