MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clear Light (Proto-Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clear Light (Proto-Metal)
    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:55am
Amazing band from Los Angeles. Only one album from 1967 but... wooow what a tune!!! Really recommend this stuff guys.

Long Live Rock'n'Roll
Beer
Purple Haze View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:57am
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:01am
Clear Light have crossed my path at least twice before. "Street Singer" is just the thing I'm looking for when proto-metal hunting. "Mr. Blue" is a big theatrical but the middle of the song gets flying with fuzz-toned guitar and a fast beat. Two other tracks also had a kind of early metal approach to the chords, lyrics, and atmosphere even though the fuzz tone was limited. The other tracks were more like the California bands of the day like The Doors and Jefferson Airplane, but that doesn't mean Clear Light should be brushed off. There's also a short instrumental clip from a movie where the band is playing pretty fast and blazing away on the guitar.

A lot of these 67/68 albums only feature a track or two that really qualify as proto-metal but still what they do is really an obvious predecessor to metal. I wouldn't be averse to including Clear Light as long as the bio includes why (what songs) earn the band a place here.
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 5:30pm
I'm not familiar with this one but someone did tag them as traditional doom metal on RYM
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:27pm
The one song could be a precursor to doom. But not the band’s overall style.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:25am
I’ve ordered the CD. I’ll see what liner notes come with it. There are bonus tracks too. Maybe another heavy hitter is hiding in there.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:19pm
I got the CD a couple of weeks ago. I'd say at least 5 tracks are worthy of being considered proto-metal, which is actually a lot for an album of 1967. Three tracks make use of powerful chords and have a strong bite to them. Must have been before the Summer of Love. One track is rather theatrical but features some growling fuzz tone guitar and has a really ominous feel after the chorus, which actually sounds more like The Doors or The Stones doing early punk. "Street Singer" is really a proto-doom metal track both musically and lyrically.

I will try to get this up here when I can but I am swamped in many things from work to hobbies to family to more work.

Thanks for suggesting the band. I'm glad I finally got the album!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic