MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want something new....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want something new....
    Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 3:26pm
I (as most of you know) love prog metal, and although I think I've gotten a pretty damn big basis of prog metal, I want something new to listen to. Preferably obscure (so that I've never heard of them and will be surprised) and not necessarily a copy cat band (unless they're amazing at copying). I especially would like something more inventive, like Riverside (but Riverside's style, just how they expanded on the idea of prog metal. Do any of you have a new band for me?
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:41pm
While it may not be "new" to you Appearance of Nothing's newest album, All Gods Are Gone, is absolutely superb and worth checking out.

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:47pm
I've heard of it, but I have yet to listen to it. I will now Big smile
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:48pm
If you're referring just to traditional prog metal (which I think you are), then there's a couple unique masterpieces I can think of off the top of my head. If you haven't heard anything by Shaolin Death Squad, I'd recommend doing so A.S.A.P. They sound like a mix of Pain of Salvation, Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, and Dream Theater. Basically a wacky, funky version of prog metal. I love these guys to death!

I also second Brian's suggestion of Appearance of Nothing - their first album isn't as awesome as their second, but both are worth checking out.

Empty Tremor is another great band (they're from Italy). Iridium is their best album, and a prog metal masterpiece IMO. One of the best albums I heard all last year. I have tons of other suggestions, but these are three that are all outstanding and you probably aren't very familiar with either.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:31pm
^ I have Shaolin Death Squad's latest album, but haven't listened to it extensively. I'll be sure to give it another play.

And also I'll check out Empty Tremor, thanks!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:55pm
Oooh, I almost forgot this one:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/last-things-the--circles-and-butterflies.aspx

This is a forgotten masterpiece from 1993... one of my favorite prog metal albums all-time! Clap Sounds like Marillion meets Dream Theater meets thrash metal. Cool
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 6:25pm
LOL That is one flowery album name
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:41pm
Alcest, Neurosis, Amogh Symphony, Baroness
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:26am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 2:04am
Sonic Pulsar may appeal to you. Probably the most obscure band I'm aware of right now.

Not the heaviest of prog metal around, much of it could even be considered leaning towards ambient, but the first album, Playing the Universe is an absolute gem.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:37am
Look no further for the future of Prog Metal:

Photo

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:40am
...and if you haven't heard all the bands on my sig.

Check them out! Your ears are in for a treat Big smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:08pm
There are plenty for me to wade through too. LOL 
Thanks.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 5:12am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Oooh, I almost forgot this one:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/last-things-the--circles-and-butterflies.aspx

This is a forgotten masterpiece from 1993... one of my favorite prog metal albums all-time! Clap Sounds like Marillion meets Dream Theater meets thrash metal. Cool

This should be coming in in about a month Cool
Got for $0.01 on Amazon.... with $4.99 shipping, of course LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Alcest is great, you introduced me to Amogh Symphony over at PM Discussion, and Neurosis is also great. Guess I'll check out Baroness now!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 4:24pm
Two bands that I enjoy that you may or may not have heard of are Thought Chamber and Attention Deficit.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Sonic Pulsar may appeal to you. Probably the most obscure band I'm aware of right now.

Not the heaviest of prog metal around, much of it could even be considered leaning towards ambient, but the first album, Playing the Universe is an absolute gem.

Interesting! Big smile
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Alcest is great, you introduced me to Amogh Symphony over at PM Discussion, and Neurosis is also great. Guess I'll check out Baroness now!

and Yakuza
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:09pm
HUGE appologies for repeating myself and potential "spamming" Embarrassed

prOgulus.com
http://www.progulus.com/rprweb/playing.php

I think you'll be amazed how much Prog is out there Smile.

You can also go here as well:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4

Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Mar 2011 at 11:10pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 9:23am
Maybe Trusted Few would be interesting for you: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/trusted-few.aspx
You might also like White Walls: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/white-walls.aspx
And Third Eye: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/third-eye.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic