MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best of the 00s!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of the 00s!
    Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:54pm
This is a list where you state your favorite album of each year in the 00s. Preferably metal, but other things are acceptable as well. I will start.

2000: Gonna have to start out with a non-metal album here (sorry, I'm trying to find the Perfect Element somewhere!). So I'm going for Godspeed you Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists... which is one of the few albums I would call perfect. Absolutely phenomenal and the atmospheres inspire me. The perfect album to zone out to when I'm tired and worn out.

2001: Tool's Lateralus. While I don't think it's explicitly metal, it is my favorite album. Fery few albums can come close to it's depth. It's atmospheres blend just as easily with some of the shifting times and the intertwining concept. This is an album that I heard for the first time and I absolutely loved it, and loved it even more as it went on.

2002: Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Easily one of my favorite Dream Theater releases, it starts off with a bang with The Glass Prison and from there explores into a beautiful long-form Rush like track, a slow building alt-metal track, a tool influenced prog metal track, and a touching ballad. Oh, and there's a suite on the other side two which is pretty good. Maybe you've heard of it. Tongue

2003: Enslaved's Below the Lights. Starting off with a haunting mellotron-esque synth the band bursts into somber, cold black metal that goes so many angles. This is definitely a highlight of the 00s and it's really a phenomenal release.

2004: Meshuggah's I. The epic is an overused format. Almost every song is a mashup of two verses and two choruses that could stand as its own song without being part of the epic. I kicks that in the balls, chops its nuts off, tears off its limbs and chucks that to the wolves. Starts off with polymetric madness and never lets up from there. The agressive parts are brutal, the quiet parts are eerie, and it covers so much ground.

2005: Strapping Young Lad's Alien. Devin takes everything on this album as far as he can fucking go. It's an over the top smashfest of epic proportions. The first three songs are probably my favorite three in a row that I can think of and the rest of the album is great too. Even the ballad is over the top in cheese. (Honorable mention to Annihilation of the Wicked, which is just as deserving of best of 2005).

2006: Moonsorrow's Havitetty. Two giant epic tracks underscore the giant, doomy folk soundscapes. The melodies are just piercing, and the moods range from somber to aggressive to meditative. Tons of folk melodies juxtaposed with long form doom riffs add up to an incredibly good record.

2007: Between the Buried and Me's Colors. Don't act like you didn't see this coming from me. This album inspires me every time I listen. The musicianship is flawless. Each song goes places and lacks redundancy, because each new riff progresses smoothly from the last. Absolutely tops. In a battle with Lateralus for my favorite album.

2008: The Faceless' Planetary Duality. At first I thought this album was ok, nothing special. Now I can't get enough. There is some bizarre technical wizardry, but in my opinion it never gets in the way of the songs, which are all pretty damn brutal. There are some definite tech-death highlights and all of them kick ass. It's a shame I will miss them when they come to this city in march.

2009: Animals as Leaders' s/t. Tosin Abasi reinvents what a shred guitar can mean. There are spacey sounds alongside weird pickings, shreds, and tappings. Again, this is an album that inspires me. I feel emotion in every track, from the frantic insanity of "Tempting Time", to the quiet cyberpunky "Behaving Badly", to the mournful "On Impulse", to the joyous "Song of Solomon". (runners up Addicted by Devin Townsend, and Black Future by Vektor which I just started listening to).
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:05am
Animals as Leaders is 2009? I thought it just came out a while ago. Suddenly in late 2010 everyone started talking about it.

I'll get to this in a while, definitely a good idea Smile I once started a similarish thread on another forum, where I listen my favourite albums from 69 to 2006 the same way.
<- Click on this!
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:45pm
2000- V: The New Mythology Suite- Symphony X
2001- Lateralus- Tool, though my favorite overall of that year was Bridge Across Forever
2002- The Perfect Element- Pain of Salvation
2003- Damnation- Opeth
2004- The Human Equation- Ayreon
2005- Octavarium- Dream Theater
2006- I don't have one
2007- Scarsick- Pain of Salvation
2008- 01011001- Ayreon
2009- The Great Misdirect- Between the Buried and Me, the Whirlwind is the overall favorite in this year though

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 10:20pm
Sticking strictly to metal, let's go with...

2000: Beethoven's Last Night - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

2001: Bath/Leaving Your Body Map - Maudlin of the Well
(Couldn't choose which.  Great year, though, had to pick between 7 or 8 faves.  Blackwater Park, A Sun That Never Sets, Jaktens Tid, Of Stone Wind and Pillor...)

2002: The Mantle - Agalloch (runner-up Oceanic)

2003: Choirs of the Eye - Kayo Dot
(just beats out Neurosis & Jarboe)

2004: First - Baroness (over Panopticon, L.O.T.M.P., The Eye of Every Storm)

2005: The Unreal Never Lived - Yob (over Ghost Reveries and In The L...L...Library Loft, which I actually prefer but elected not to choose as it's not metal)

2006: OM - Negura Bunget (Dowsing Anemone, Enter, In the Absence of Truth, Blood Mountain, Emissaries, Ashes Against The Grain...)

2007: Ur Jordens Djup - Finntroll
(Red Album, Screech Owl)

2008:  Station - Russian Circles
(Land, Terminus: Rebirth in Eight Parts, Dystopia)

2009: Wavering Radiant - Isis (AAL, Blue Record, Crack the Skye, Carboniferous)

Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

2006- I don't have one

lol, while I have 6.  You want to borrow one?

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 20 Feb 2011 at 10:22pm
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 9:46am
< ="utf-8">
All right, let's see how much metal I can get in here. I'll highlight the metal favourites and mention if it's not the overall favourite of the year.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World
My first Maiden album, a start of a long love affair. After listening to it for ten years it has only gotten better with age. Perhaps my third or fourth favourite Maiden album after some 80s classics.

Opeth - Blackwater Park
An extremely tight race between Toxicity, Lateralus and this one. I really have nothing to back this up with, it just felt like an Opeth moment. Damn near perfect albums all three of them.

The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony Is a Dead Scene EP
The overall best of the year goes without a doubt to Sigur R�s's ( ), and this one beat every metal full length I've heard that year. Dillinger's twisted hyperactivity is a perfect match for Patton's equally twisted voice, oh how I wish there was more of this.

Type O Negative - Life Is Killing Me
This was a truly fantastic year. Choirs of the Eye is just as good as this one, but I presume it will get a lot of votes anyway, so I went with Typo. Non-metal stuff of the same value are Liekki's Korppi and TMV's debut De-Loused in the Comatorium.

Mastodon - Leviathan
And then a not-so-good year. Leviathan is the third best of four Mastodon albums, a good one but nothing special apart from a couple of killer songs. Overall best of the year will go to Magyar Posse's Kings of Time or Green Day's American Idiot. Yes, you read that one right.

System of a Down - Mezmerize
And then we come to perhaps my favourite music year of my lifetime. Several brilliant albums are up to the challenge, but the one album I'd rate six of five stars happened to come out that year. So Ghost Reveries and co. don't really have a chance in the end.

Mokoma - Kuoleman laulukunnaat
Another great year, but the metal side of things wasn't that great after all. Two extremely solid albums however do come up, the other one being Celtic Frost's Monotheist. I've never been so excited about the other Mokoma albums I've heard, but this one is such a furious onslaught from beginning to end, that Finnish thrashy metal hasn't seen such since Stone.

Swallow the Sun - Hope
Another leaner metal year, the only serious contender for StS is Reverend Bizarre's III: So Long Suckers. In the end Hope might be the least good StS full length so far, but that just means they're all pretty damn great. The National's fantastic Boxer takes the cake overall.

Russian Circles - Station
Watershed would take this if it weren't for the lacklustre second half, but Station, my favourite RC album, is better by a hair. Neither of them are really five star material, the best two albums of the year come from the Finnish proggish field, Overhead's And We're Not Here After All and Von Hertzen Brothers's Love Remains the Same.

Priestess - Prior to the Fire
Ahh, another fantastic year. Mastodon, Swallow the Sun, S�lstafir, BtBaM, Alice In Chains, Isis and many others put out great stuff, but I want to give the trophy to Priestess, my first true MMA discovery. I wish more people knew of this band. Actually this might be a better year overall than 2005, something I didn't believe would ever happen. Overall the best album might be Part the Second.

Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
There's tons of 2010 stuff I haven't heard yet, but I won't be surprised if Barren Earth keeps their place at the top. The finest "super group" album I've ever heard. Midlake's Courage of Others, John Grant's Queen of Denmark  and Lapko's A New Bohemia battle with BE for the top spot overall.
<- Click on this!
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 4:14am
2000  Gathering - If Then Else
2001  Opeth - Blackwater Park
2002  Madder Mortem - Deadlands
2003  Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
2004  My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness Words of Light
2005  Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2006  Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
2007  Division By Zero - Tyranny of Therapy
2008  Intronaut - Prehistoricisms
2009  Riverside - ADHD
2010  Triptycon - Eparistera Daimones
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 4:36am
I've only included metal releases on my list (and it's not really representative anyway, since I tend to always have a whole bunch of favorite releases every year):

2000: Iron Maiden "Brave New World"
2001: Slayer "God Hates Us All"
2002: Dio "Killing the Dragon"
2003: Iron Maiden "Dance of Death" / King Diamond "The Puppet Master"
2004: Killswitch Engage "The End of Heartache"
2005: Bolt Thrower "Those Once Loyal"
2006: Iron Maiden "A Matter of Life and Death"
2007: Dream Theater: "Systematic Chaos" / Anubis Gate "Andromeda Unchained" / King Diamond "Give Me Your Soul ... Please"
2008: Cynic "Traced in Air"
2009: Obscura "Cosmogenesis" / Artillery "When Death Comes" / Anubis Gate "The Detached"
2010: Atheist "Jupiter" / Death Angel "Relentless Retribution"
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 12:59pm
guys 2010 isn't part of the 00s
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

2006- I don't have one

lol, while I have 6.  You want to borrow one?

Well I have no idea what any of them are Confused, but I should probably get around to getting a Matter of Life and DeathEmbarrassed

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 9:48pm
I'll try to keep this list mostly metal.

2000: Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming of the True (non-metal)
2001: Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Part 1
2002: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
2003: Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
2004: Pain of Salvation - Be
2005: Neal Morse - ?
2006: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
2007: Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
2008: Opeth - Watershed
2009: Between The Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect

Wow, Pain of Salvation featured as the #1 album for each album they released in that decade... I'm a fanboy and proud of it! HeartBig smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

guys 2010 isn't part of the 00s

Aha! but for some people the millennium started in 2001 and not 2000, which also means the decade can't have started until '01. So we just included 2010 to be on the safe side Tongue
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 1:43pm
It's 2000 which was not part of this certain decade Wink
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:29pm
It seems to be a cultural thing... just like in some cultures, the week starts on a Monday while in others it starts on a Sunday.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:32pm
I don't understand how the decade could start in '01. Would those same people call 1990 part of the '80s?
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I don't understand how the decade could start in '01. Would those same people call 1990 part of the '80s?

I hope that was a rhetorical way to put it, as the answer is really simple. Tongue

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Would those same people call 1990 part of the '80s?

Why would they? The "'80s" are the years that start with 8, '90 wasn't one of them. But '90 is the last year of the ninth decade.

Wink

Edited by harmonium.ro - 06 Mar 2011 at 7:47pm
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
^I'm just pointing out how counting from 2001-2010 is a strange way of defining a decade, since that would also mean the 90s would be 1991 to 2000 and the 80s from 1981 to 1990, etc. Which doesn't make sense to me.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 11:01am

^I'm just pointing out how counting from 2001-2010 is a strange way of defining a decade, since that would also mean the 90s would be 1991 to 2000 and the 80s from 1981 to 1990, etc. Which doesn't make sense to me.

Yes it doesn't make sense, the confusion all started with the bad mathematics of they early Christians
They didn't know the number  "0", so when making up the calendar, they went from the year 1 BC immediately to the year 1AC.
So the year 0 never existed, which inspired some people to say the new millennium had to start in 2001 as well.
I'd say their mathematics still suck, as does their knowledge of the word "millennium" or "decade".

Anyway, I just wanted to add my pick for 2010 LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:58pm

I don't find it strange at all. Seriously now, Geek when you want to count 10 apples on your table, do you count them from 0 to 9, or from 1 to 10?

Counting decades from 0 to 9 imply there were two decades in history that had only 9 years. It's simple math...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

Yes it doesn't make sense, the confusion all started with the bad mathematics of they early Christians
They didn't know the number  "0", so when making up the calendar, they went from the year 1 BC immediately to the year 1AC.
So the year 0 never existed, which inspired some people to say the new millennium had to start in 2001 as well.
I'd say their mathematics still suck, as does their knowledge of the word "millennium" or "decade".

Anyway, I just wanted to add my pick for 2010 LOL

Huh? Since when were early Christians poorly educated in maths, this being a source of this issue? The Greeks were brilliant mathematicians and they didn't come up with zero either. European mathematics of the time simply didn't have the concept of zero, which was an Indian concept that permeated into Europe only one millenia later.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 1:28pm
I'd rather call the first decade from 1 AD to 9 AD than call 1990 part of the 80s Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic