MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A playlist to discover Black Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A playlist to discover Black Metal
    Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 4:17am
"What is Black metal? Where do I begin?"

Ever heard these questions from your friends or on a forum?

To answer these, I made a chronological youtube playlist for those wanting to discover, or to make someone discover, Black Metal in general, its history and evolution. I tried to select the most representative songs given subgenres.

Tell me what you think about it and if there are important songs lacking, while keeping in mind I don't want the playlist to be too long as it is aimed for newbies.

Edited by Modrigue - 04 Oct 2018 at 4:18am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:44am
Children of Bodom??? I don't know the song, but usually they're parpy pop metal...

There's no Mayhem in that list, which is possibly the only other major essential band I can think of. For my personal taste I'd probably add a Marduk track, but they're not exactly an essential band. And Cradle of Filth, while not considered black metal by most purists, make an easier transition for a beginner from other genres of metal into black metal.

Damn fine playlist though.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 04 Oct 2018 at 11:44am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:51am
Yeah I agree...definitely remove Children of Bodom.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:02pm
If this aimed at beginners to black metal, then my first recommendation would be to remove the following:

Tracks 1 - 3 as these are all things that get called 'first wave black metal' which by and large is one of the biggest myths of the entire metal genre. Bathory fits, but a lot of this stuff was just heavy metal, speed metal or thrash metal. Celtic Frost and Venom could be said to have provided the roots, but weren't black metal themselves. Others like Mercyful Fate had nothing to do with black metal. Including them just leaves the possibility of leading new listeners the wrong way. 

Also I'd take Darkspace out. Probably too advanced for a beginner listener. They're more of a 'once you know the basics' act. I've listened to black metal for over a decade and even I find their albums a difficult listen. 

As for additions, Burzum, while not to everyone's taste, is pretty much a must if you've going to cover all the basics. Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss are both very highly rated album (#1 and #2 on RYM for black metal, actually). 

If you want to include some melodic black metal, then some Dissection is an essential inclusion. And Windir as well. While not the roots of the genre melodic BM may prove a better gateway for many. Other sub-genres like depressive, pagan and war are for more intermediate to advanced listeners. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Modrigue View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:06am
Thank you all for your remarks, I made a few changes.

Removed Mercyful Fate and Children of Bodom, I was hesitating about them as they're somehow related to BM.
Added Cradle of Filth.

Mayhem and Burzum are important BM bands indeed, I will look for a track to include.

Concerning the "first wave black metal" songs, I want to keep them in the beginning of the playlist as I intend to make it chronological, but also to be listened to as a bridge between 80's traditional metal and 90's BM. That's personally how I discovered BM...

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:34am
And about Hellhammer?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:29am
I'd just compile tracks from the most popular black metal albums. RYM has a good chart that goes all the way up to 7500 (maybe it's 5000 if you don't subscribe). So plenty to choose from

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:34am
If you're going for history, i'd start with Venom, Hellhammer and Celtic Frost and then Bathory, Mayhem and then work into the early 90s like Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon and Gorgoroth. I'm afraid you'd need a much larger history if you're going for a historical overview. I'd stick to what's kick ass to listen to :)
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:34am
For recommendations it depends on how complete you want this: is it just to discover the basics of black metal or do you want it to be fully comprehensive? If it's the latter, then you have several sub-genres to cover. I'd recommend looking at the genre pages on this site for ideas or ask here about specifics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic