MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Demos and demo bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demos and demo bands
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:56am
If I'm about to add demos here, in what category should I put them? "EP"? "Other"? Or should they be added here even? I really hope so, because in some genres demos are of high importance. I saw m@x posting that Lori Linstruth may be removed from MMA because there's only one demo. Well I know nothing about that certain artist, but at least in black metal demos are often on the importance level of real full-lengths.

For example, Paysage d'Hiver has a huge fanbase although it has "just" released tape demos (that are, though, later rereleased on CD) and two splits on vinyl in low pressing amounts: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=13417. The same applies to the whole "scene" (for example, see Moonblood: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1088) and usually demos are as important as full-lengths. If we want to build a "complete" metal source, I suggest that demo bands should NOT be removed. According to the description on the front page we strive to build a complete metal resource, and even the title has the word "archive" in it.

I just want to be sure what people think about this because, for example, in Wikipedia the Paysage d'Hiver page was deleted just because of bureaucracy: the band has "only released demos", which sounded like an insult to me.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 5:06am
A good point, metal seems to be a genre where demos are valued higher than in other genres. There are some absolutely legendary demos out there, like Metallica's No Life 'til Leather. I've seen some of them added to PA, by for example Mr. Bungle, and no one has thought it necessary to delete them. So I guess it's OK to add official demos by bands who later went on to release full lengths. 

But the problem is, if we start adding demo bands to the database, the flood is endless. Perhaps a section for them in the forum?
<- Click on this!
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 5:14am
Endless flood of bands might become a problem, and the line between bands that should be added and those who sould not be added is hard to make.

An idea that I have had is to look how many listeners artists have in, say, Last.fm. That would remove all such demo bands that don't have a real fanbase, but would keep those bands here who have a decent fanbase (though still having released only demos). Just an idea.

Edit: To continue with Paysage d'Hiver, the band has 7,448 listeners in Last.fm, which is quite prominent. Just saying that I don't want this to end up like Wikipedia... :-)

Edited by Vehemency - 29 Mar 2010 at 5:16am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:10am
I�ve added demos to PA ( There�s an option to add promos), but only for artists who have later released "real" EPs or albums. It would be nice to hear from M@X or Phil if MMA will work in the same way or if they consider changing the "rules" because of the importance of demo material in some metal genres ( then I can get my old death metal act added with our two demo releasesBig smile).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic