MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Giants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these groups are your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [55.10%]
3 [6.12%]
4 [8.16%]
8 [16.33%]
7 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
Needless to say where my vote went.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:19pm
A "death metal giants" poll without Death, Entombed, Obituary, Dismember, Carcass, Suffocation ??????????????????

Well, I vote for Morbid Angel of course ("extreme music for extreme people"). My second vote would go to Cannibal Corpse, I saw them last year on stage they kicked ass.
EM Hearst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EM Hearst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:04pm
Morbid Angel will always be my favorite Death Metal band... Cannibal Corpse probably second. Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, and Nile are up there too  on the all-time greatest list...

Opeth are w**kers... their best album was the most un-metal one: Damnation. They'd be a great straight-up Camel-ish retro-Prog band, i just find their metal side dull.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:03pm
As far as your List:

My vote went to Opeth (and that said, I've been a Fan since Still Life, then purchased Blackwater Park and went backwards in their catalogue and been a die-hard fan ever since).  I have known about Opeth since their 1st album Orchid, from reading about them in a Great long-gone Extreme Metal Magizine that was called Ill Literature.  It had a great description about their music and was very intriguing.  I have no idea why I never got around to buying all those albums all those years.
I then saw them open for Nevermore (the Dead Heart in a Dead World Tour) for their "Blackwater Park" album and I was... stunned! Big smile So was Akerfeldt!  He was soo gracious and even a bit timid to hear such a warm reception to their 1st time in the US.  What can I say, I like all the facits and layers of making their Death Metal very unique (If you like it or not) and they have had great musicians in their line-ups.
But I do like Nile in that pure Death Metal sence, and that they are technical is cool too, and also Guitarist  & Vocalist Karl Sanders is interested in Egyptology and other Middle Eastern history- ups the wow factor 10 fold.  Excellent Music!

Cannibal Corpse- I admire them for their sheer musical talent, but the Gore Lyrics, I'm not a fan
of the genre (sorry, I'm just really into lyrics and that stuff depresses me).
In Flames- I am more of a fan of the "Whoracle" era and previous albums.
Morbid Angel- Fan of their later years.

I think other Bands that are the "Icons" of Old School (and reletively newer) that I admire:
1. Death- from "Human" to "The Sound of Perseverence" are my fave era. "Individule Thought
Patterns" is my favorite album. Chuck Shuldiner is probably my fave Death/"Cookie Monster"
vocalist 1st, then Akerfeldt, as far as understanding what they are singing for the most part.
2. Carcass- Even though they are one of the Bands that started Gore/Grindcore it was unique,
but "Tools of the Trade" to "Swansong" are my fave era with "Heartworks" being my fave, a
brilliant album.
3. Meshuggah- I'm a huge fan, these are the newer kids on the block I guess with Opeth (what,
its been 20 + years now?), Meshuggah and Opeth have also been put in the Progressive Metal
catagory as well , so they are both very diverse.  I put Meshuggah in the Death/Math catagory
because if you tell the average Progger or Metalhead theyre "Death Metal" , they'll have a pre-
concieved notion what it might be.  I just believe this music should be used to catapolt Tiger
Tanks at low flying 747's while being shot at with 50mm Vulcan Canons.
4. Sepultura- I know I know, the "kids" will say "Thats Thrash", but when they started, they were
considered Death Metal.  Unfortunately I think they lost their way after the Band broke apart
(the 1st time), but my faves are, "Beneath the Remains", "Arise" and "Chaos A.D.".
6. Pestilence- One of the 1st to be technical and yet brutal, they then tried to get into the early
days of "Math/Tech Metal" but I just couldnt get into it, and I'm a Prog fan.  Something about the
Guitar Tone they switched to and those annoying Keyboard sounds overpowered the Guitars.
"Malleus Malificarum" and "Consuming Impulse" are my faves.
I have not heard their latest but looking forward to it.
7. Malevolent Creation- I have heard most of their early albums but "Retribution" should be
considered a Classic! Freakin' MEAN Cookie Vocals but you can understand him clearly, these
guys were not only fast but accurate not sloppy. Alex Marquez on Drums should be up there with
the greats. Brett Hofman the Vocalist really emphasises the anger of the Lyrics, especially in the
song "Slaughter of Innocense" about a serial killer and the Revengeful gutteral scream against
him  ". . . DIE! - MOTHER - f**kERRRRRR!!!!!!" sums it all up.  Any Violence in the lyrics is more
to tell a blunt story, not for sheer shock value and I respect that.
The Guitar Duo are violent as Chainsaws cutting through shards of steel, but again, precise and
well executed.

I also like:
Necrophagist, Gorod, Gardenian, Darkane, Extol, Soilwork, Arch Enemy (older albums, but later
era is good as well), Napalm Death, Decapitated, Atrocity, Mourning Sign, At the Gates, Rosicrusion,
Oppressor, Cryptopsy, Goreguts (later years), Emperor (later years), Ihshan, Scar Symmetry, Edge
of Sanity ("Crimson", another highly influencial album) and Loudblast. 
I'm a little behind on the newer guys, but I like the Technical with the Brutality.  I'm into Thrash and
Tech-Thrash/Math Metal as well.

If you are a Opeth fan, I suggest checking out:
1. My Dying Bride (The originators of that "sound")
2. Winds
3. Leprous
4. Enochian Theory
5. Novembers Doom

Good to be a part of this new Forum from PA! I can be a "Newbie" with everyone else now LOL
Bang On! Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Mar 2011 at 10:22pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
mosefus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosefus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:54pm
I'd pitch my tent in the Morbid Angel camp, though I like all of these bands to varying degrees.
In Flames were a firm favourite - I have a tattoo for the sake of all our Christ's - though, in recent times, they have become too tame and radio friendly to be acceptable.
Cannibal Corpse are always good for a laugh, and are a band that I name check regularly when in the mood to shock sensitive sorts.
Opeth do little for me.  Too interested in impressing with their musical technicality, I do tend to nod off mid way through most songs.  I've tried, folks, more than thrice, but they err towards the tedious.
As for Nile, well, I love it when they slow down from time to time.  Lashed to the Slave Stick is one of my all time favourites, even though they didn't write the main hook (this is the incidental music from Stephen King's Cat's Eye) and the last section of Black Seeds of Vengeance is frighteningly effective.

But yeah, favourite death band.  Got to be Morbid Angel....
http://www.smellthecult.com
http://www.smellthecult.blogspot.com

Keep it metal and ye shall be wise
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:38am
Kind of unfair for the other bands as they are all pure death metal acts (except In Flames of late) and Opeth is not, but hey, I vote Opeth !
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:03pm
Where is Death actually?
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:24pm
Really Cannibal Corpse is so low on votes DAMNNNNNNNNNITTTTTTTTTT
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by alberto mu�oz alberto mu�oz wrote:

Where is Death actually?

They would have been a much better choice than In Flames.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 11:25pm
One of those polls where I find it almost impossible to vote. Each band is equally important as the next in the death metal genre.
Hell I'll give my vote to Morbid Angel, simply because at this moment in time I enjoy them the most out of this list
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:26am
Actually, although I don't really care for Death Metal, I'm just curious about something...what do you guys think of 'Master'?
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Actually, although I don't really care for Death Metal, I'm just curious about something...what do you guys think of 'Master'?

Groundbreaking for their time and one or two great songs but you only really need to listen to one of them, any more and you're likely to get bored pretty quick.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:49pm

Opeth, my favourite at everything.

lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 3:47pm
Yesterday I saw Bolt Thrower on stage. That was fabulous.

And they ARE death metal giants.

i woud stongly recommend the album 'war master' :

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:45am
^And they have a giant death metal sound to boot.

Anyways, I don't see how In Flames is important really. Popular to be sure, maybe the prototypical mainstream melodeath. Opeth is similar though not so much, they've had enough time to influence more progressive bands.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:05am
OPETH!
GLAM METAL!
DeKay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
In Flames for me
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:54am
What? Opeth? Winning a "Death metal giants" poll? 

Not many death metal fans here, eh? :P

OK, I voted without any hesitation for Morbid Angel, who along with Cannibal Corpse are the only Death Metal Giants in the list. Favourite album is Altars of Madness for me but I'll listen to any of the first four.

The list needs (based on the title. Giants mean best and most historical in my opinion):

American:
Death
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Deicide
Sadus
Atheist
Cynic
Malevolent Creation, Suffocation, Immolation (the MAJOR "-ation" bands!)
Cannibal Corpse
Master

UK: Carcass, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Benediction

Europe generally (OK, maybe Sweden deserves a special mention too): Entombed, Dismember, Unleashed, At the Gates, Morgoth, Pestilence, Autopsy, Grave, Vader, Pungent Stench

This is the starting list. In Flames and Opeth shouldn't be considered a Death Metal band really, and Nile is modern brutal death/grind, which is death metal of course but a newer distinct style.

I am the old-school type fan! Sorry for the rant! Wink

Any fans of Brutality here?? 
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 10:11pm
I dont get this "Opeth is not a death metal band" Ermm . . .

I mean, how many of us listened to "Orchid" when it came out?  Each album after they progressed into
something out of the norm, thats what appeals to us I would imagine, as we listen to the "brutal" stuff, the
"Gothenburg" sound, "The Florida Death Metal scene"  and all the other locals/sub-genres that fit within
Death Metal.
As Akerfeldt has said in the Documentary on the "Lamentation" DVD, "Opeth will always be a Death Metal
Band...", it has been his intention all along, but why be like all the others-he wanted to do something
different with the genre.  Same went for Carcass, everyone started to copy the Gore-metal/Technical Medical
Jargon, and decided to be a bit more "musical" yet stay brutal (Death can say the same).
. . . Thinking outside the box.

I'm into the old school brutality as well (see my previous list) but I am VERY picky what I like, and many of
the Death Metal I do like alot that are a bit more technical-I put in the "Math Metal" catagory.
By the way, Nile death grind? I mean, Napalm Death has gone back to that type of sound and Soilent Green,
Nasum, Dying Fetus and Cephalic Carnage (and the like-in the NWOGrind Core era) are still doing the same
sound, but Nile is akin to the more technical Death Metal in vein of Decapitated, Goreguts, Cryptopsy etc.

Anyways I guess this is where we'll pick up knives, I'll pick a rusty spoon, its more brutal Tongue Ouch

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Mar 2011 at 10:24pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 10:17pm
I hadn't voted in this yet, so seeing as it's been resurrected I'll toss one the way of Morbid Angel.  And yes, this poll desperately needs some Death.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic