5 [16.13%]
11 [35.48%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOST METAL of our "metal" genres
    Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:24pm
Don't you love how arbitrary this question is?

In response to the eternally negative "least metal" poll, I made the significantly more positve "MOST METAL" poll.

So, which metal genre do you think is most metal? I went with thrash. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:46pm
I'd have to say death.  Thrash, doom and sludge are up there too

edit: what goof voted prog?  Totally delusional

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 01 Feb 2011 at 10:47pm
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:57pm
Let's not get into troll territory now...
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 12:00am
Obviously I LOVE prog metal and some of it can be really damn metal! Headbanger
But in spirit....yeah deff not the most metal. Especially since us prog metallers are in the minority.

This is a tough one.
I guess the MOST METAL genre has to be traditional metal.
Sounds silly but they did invent it LOL I mean they were the original metal, how can you be more metal!? Most metal guitarists owe it to Iommi so yeah...traditional gets my vote.

Thrash is a close second. Due to it's obvious metal-ness but also since it grew from NWoBHM (which is traditional!)and was an attempt to keep metal "pure". Not like all that artsy pretentious prog rock crap that was popular by the late 70's Wink

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 02 Feb 2011 at 12:01am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 12:25am
I see someone didn't like my poll Tongue

Had to go for thrash. All extreme genres (even doom and sludge) have thrash elements, and when I think of a standard metal band, I think thrash. Almost picked death, but I'm biased towards that anyway.

Sure, everything ultimately came from traditional heavy metal, but the first of anything rarely becomes the standard example, IMO.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 1:43am
Using the maryes method on my girl, I'd say black. Tongue
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 3:15am
Voted Power Metal. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 4:11am
Traditional metal. There's nothing more metal than Accept, Maiden, Anvil, Mercyful etc. :-P
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 5:55am
Death metal undoubtly!!!
Inexistence is the true normality.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:18am

NWoBHM.

No Question.

It encompasses the roots of every single genre that now exists, from the black metal of Venom, the speed metal of Vardis and Jaguar, tech metal of diamond Head and Raven to the squeaky clean pop metal of Def Leppard, with the traditions of Iron Maiden, the close ties with punk in Motorhead and (oft-overlooked) Saxon running through the middle like a core of steel.

NWoBHM is everything - it's not a style or genre. It went beyond embryo - it embraces egg, chick, fledgeling and parent bird. The Eagle Landed And Took Off Again.

Or some such.

That's what I voted, anyway.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:42am
death metal.. 
what else could it be..

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Let's not get into troll territory now...

lets, thats my territory Approve
just, being a collab here, Ive tried to uphold at least some bit of professionality  .
as opposed to other places...

Photobombing is the most fun method Cool

The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 12:22pm
I'm gonna go with traditional metal, it just seems like that's what really is metal.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 5:24pm
I dared to vote for Progressive Metal because most of the genres and style above have some punk in them including New Wave of British Heavy Metal. However,old school Progressive Metal such as early Fates Warning, Watchtower, Mekong Delta, or Abraxas. As far as I know, Motorhead began fusing Metal with punk. When there is a New Wave of British Heavy Metal then there must also be an Old Wave of British Heavy Metal. Proto-Metal, Hardrock, Doom Metal, and Progressive Metal/Hardrock were mostly the styles in the 70s.

Progressive, Neo-classical metal, and doom metal are for me the most metal of the genres, because it is pure metal which depends on the guitars. Metal is guitar oriented music like Flamenco is guitar based music. The metal that depends on the guitars most is the most metal. The heaviness and loudness does not determine if the song is more metal or not.

This is from the musical point of view. In Progressive Metal the guitars are the most important instruments while the other instruments are secondary. Even the vocals don't play a huge role.

I would say the most metallic is progressive thrash metal.

Aggression and brutality in metal comes from punk/hardcore. Metal without punk is not aggressive and dirty, but the focus is on technicality of the guitar play.

Edited by goskoski - 02 Feb 2011 at 5:52pm
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:04pm
Here's the real question

Is prog metal derived from metal, or prog rock?

(I like to take to the easy road and say both)! A bridge between the two.

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 11:52am
traditional heavy metal
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:00pm
I'd have to go with traditional metal, since that is what started metal, besides proto-metal. Close second was death metal, and then there was progEmbarrassed, which sometimes can be very not metal, but most of the time it is very metal!Headbanger

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:07pm
They're all metal... picking a "least" metal was a bit easier, but saying that one metal subgenre is "more metal" than another metal subgenre seems silly IMO. So no vote from me. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

They're all metal... picking a "least" metal was a bit easier, but saying that one metal subgenre is "more metal" than another metal subgenre seems silly IMO. So no vote from me. Smile

...But you could say death metal is more metal than glam, though some would dissagree.

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:16pm
^That's true. Granted, there are a lot of borderline cases with industrial, glam, metalcore, proto (duh), alternative, and grind IMO. However, there is no way that you can argue that black, death, doom, power, thrash, and heavy metal aren't metal, so in that sense I agree with you.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The Block Tongue this is directed at J-man.

Edited by topofsm - 05 Feb 2011 at 7:18pm
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic