MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Djent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

Going to correct you all before this gets too deep: djent is not a genre.  The word "djent" itself is onomatopoeia that's used to describe the characteristic tight, punchy sound of a low-tuned guitar with strong pick attack, a tone more or less pioneered by Meshuggah and popularized today by the likes of prog metal acts such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders, TesseracT, Cloudkicker, et al.  It's much more of a tight, rounded "bwwaaaaaoowwhhhh" than your typical chugging noise, and the tone is usually helped with heavy use of digital modification and the assistance of seven or eight-string guitars.

It's become inappropriately associated with a genre in and of itself because a number of the forerunning "djent bands" have a style that incorporates similar elements, most noticeably heavy use of polyrhythmic metering and syncopation in the riffing and oftentimes metalcore or deathcore tendencies.  It's spawned a burgeoning underground scene of closet guitar geeks and has been propagated by swapping riffs and numerating project after project through the internet.  It's an undeniably cool concept but one that I feel at this point has been done to death by misrepresentation (something I'm guilty of myself) and the insurmountable number of cookie-cutter bands and solo projects that pop up like weeds.

It's a tone, folks, nothing more.  The forerunning bands that implement this tone are among my absolute favorites (sh*t, I'm an 8 string guitarist myself), but once you get past those select few amazing bands there's almost nothing to find worth listening to.

I'm no expert on what is or isn't "djent", but I have never been a big fan of the name.  Some bands (Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders) I'm definitely a fan of.

Just curious if anyone knows where this term came into existence, not just what its based off of.

NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Going to correct you all before this gets too deep: djent is not a genre.  The word "djent" itself is onomatopoeia that's used to describe the characteristic tight, punchy sound of a low-tuned guitar with strong pick attack, a tone more or less pioneered by Meshuggah and popularized today by the likes of prog metal acts such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders, TesseracT, Cloudkicker, et al.  It's much more of a tight, rounded "bwwaaaaaoowwhhhh" than your typical chugging noise, and the tone is usually helped with heavy use of digital modification and the assistance of seven or eight-string guitars.

It's become inappropriately associated with a genre in and of itself because a number of the forerunning "djent bands" have a style that incorporates similar elements, most noticeably heavy use of polyrhythmic metering and syncopation in the riffing and oftentimes metalcore or deathcore tendencies.  It's spawned a burgeoning underground scene of closet guitar geeks and has been propagated by swapping riffs and numerating project after project through the internet.  It's an undeniably cool concept but one that I feel at this point has been done to death by misrepresentation (something I'm guilty of myself) and the insurmountable number of cookie-cutter bands and solo projects that pop up like weeds.

It's a tone, folks, nothing more.  The forerunning bands that implement this tone are among my absolute favorites (sh*t, I'm an 8 string guitarist myself), but once you get past those select few amazing bands there's almost nothing to find worth listening to.

I'm no expert on what is or isn't "djent", but I have never been a big fan of the name.  Some bands (Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders) I'm definitely a fan of.

Just curious if anyone knows where this term came into existence, not just what its based off of.

I think Bulb (Misha Mansoor of Periphery) popularized the term.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:48pm
^I heard it was Fredrik from Meshuggah
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

^I heard it was Fredrik from Meshuggah

IIRC the term originated on the Meshuggah message boards, as did Periphery itself.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:53pm
Apparently, Fredrik Thordendal coined the term, but it was later made popular by Bulb, at least according to got-djent's about section.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Apparently, Fredrik Thordendal coined the term, but it was later made popular by Bulb, at least according to got-djent's about section.

/thread
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:22pm

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

/thread

LOL

And just for fun, a Michael Jackson cover:

Cool

Edited by A Person - 28 Jan 2011 at 9:22pm
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:33pm
It may be onomatopoeia, but it's term as a genre is growing. It's certainly a lot easier to refer to all the "djent" bands rather than the "polymetric post-thrashy groove/metalcore" bands. It's a way to get all of them under one umbrella.

And for the record, "ska" is onomatopoeia as well.Wink
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:25pm
Here's a definition from Urban Dictionary. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=djent
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:31pm
SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

It may be onomatopoeia, but it's term as a genre is growing. It's certainly a lot easier to refer to all the "djent" bands rather than the "polymetric post-thrashy groove/metalcore" bands. It's a way to get all of them under one umbrella.

This is true, but I still think I prefer the term as the onomatopoeia.  Kinda bugs me that this style has become big enough to warrant its own genre.  I like it much more as a flavoring or a niche thing in music than as an entire underground genre.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 1:42am
^ It's true that it's rather niche-y, but apparently there's room for a ton of fans of a punk-based genre where all the guitar riffing is on the up-beat (ska), which still is rather niche-y to me. There's also, among other things, polka metal, zeuhl, and d-beat, which you have to admit sound pretty niche-y but somehow have their own fanbase.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Isn't that post-metal? Tongue
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
Why is that post metal?
Inexistence is the true normality.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Isn't that post-metal? Tongue

Actually, come to think of it, that does sort of look like a Neurosis song Headbanger

It depends how quickly you read it

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 29 Jan 2011 at 2:04pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:09pm
LOL
Inexistence is the true normality.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:40pm
Ha, KNEW Kevin would beast this topic.

Djent was more or less crafted by Meshuggah. It's those riffs that I originally described as "falling off" though djent is much better. (Kinda the sound it makes).

Now there are dozens, probably much more we don't know, of bands that are either Meshuggah ripoffs or some technical metal/core type thing using a lot of djenty riffs.

Just a style, not a genre LOL
Seriously, no "djent" band sounds unique in terms of genre. They are all easily classifiable as some type of metal (prog, avant, core, technical) whatever. Please, no need for a sub genre that really does not exist.
Simply a style of riffing these bands use alot.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 29 Jan 2011 at 8:42pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
paroxix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paroxix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:48pm
btw i didn't see it mentioend above djent refers to the sound the guitar makes when playing the shords and notes to make up these rifs it makes a "djent" noise as opposed to a "chug" noise you get it other forms of metal
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by paroxix paroxix wrote:

btw i didn't see it mentioend above djent refers to the sound the guitar makes when playing the shords and notes to make up these rifs it makes a "djent" noise as opposed to a "chug" noise you get it other forms of metal

IMO that doesnt qualify it for a sub-genre 

paroxix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paroxix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:53pm
i was explaining where the name comes from btw pardon my terrible spelling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic