MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Djent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Djent
    Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 2:40am
Haha . . .

If you go there, it will then go here, then it will turn into a Djent Portal Paradox to never escape! Shocked

. . . One of these Days I'm going to do a "Math Metal" posting, so everyone can add their faves Big smile.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:58am
"Rational Gaze" by Meshuggah sounds dubstep gone metal.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:21am
Scott, StS is NOT djent!! Wink
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:13am
Ah another Djent thread, why not!

Iheard a band recently and cant remember the name but loved the sound....

Edit: Scale the Summit was the band and excellent too!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 05 May 2011 at 11:14am
GLAM METAL!
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:55pm
WHO GOT THE NEW TESSERACT ZOMG
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:21pm
Genre or not, it is distinct enough to categorize bands, rather than calling them "bands that use Meshuggah-esque riffs". Maybe it's not a genre yet, but I feel if Ska, an entire style based on playing guitar chords on the up-beat, can grow into its own distinct genre then there's no reason that djent can't. As for now it is poorly defined, and as others have said in the CZ thread there are few bands that don't simply use djent elements mainly with another large style.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:56pm
As I just posted in the CZ

Maybe some hear us say "djent band" and think "oh that must be something" then look into it. So our fault for using djent so much, but really I know I said djent more for fun, and we all know how sticky genres can be, sometimes djent is just easier as categorization.
But some of us bigger djenters such as myself, kevin, colin, some on PA all have said it is not a genre, so that should really say something!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:28pm

Engineer would like a word with you

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:13am

^Christian Vander would like a word with you. LOL
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 1:19am
Djent is not a genre.

That simple.

And yes, Meshuggah does defy description...but we can't make a genre for one band LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 22 Mar 2011 at 1:20am

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:33am
Meshuggah is it's own kind of metal.  It's called Meshuggah 
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:09am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Seriously, no "djent" band sounds unique in terms of genre. They are all easily classifiable as some type of metal (prog, avant, core, technical) whatever. Please, no need for a sub genre that really does not exist.

To play devil's advocate, Meshuggah hardly fits into a category at all. Of course they're progressive, but they're not prog metal. I guess you could say they're thrash/groove but if you're going to be honest no band even sounds remotely like them, even among their songs with more straightforward riffs.

My big question is how come Meshuggah is the only "extreme" variety of djenting. I mean Textures, Cloudkicker, Vildjharta etc are all pretty melodic metal bands. Can no other band sound brutal when utilizing the djent style? Or are they just afraid of sounding exactly like a Meshuggah clone.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:04pm
it's been said 3 or 4 times in this thread, already
paroxix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paroxix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:53pm
i was explaining where the name comes from btw pardon my terrible spelling
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by paroxix paroxix wrote:

btw i didn't see it mentioend above djent refers to the sound the guitar makes when playing the shords and notes to make up these rifs it makes a "djent" noise as opposed to a "chug" noise you get it other forms of metal

IMO that doesnt qualify it for a sub-genre 

paroxix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paroxix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:48pm
btw i didn't see it mentioend above djent refers to the sound the guitar makes when playing the shords and notes to make up these rifs it makes a "djent" noise as opposed to a "chug" noise you get it other forms of metal
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:40pm
Ha, KNEW Kevin would beast this topic.

Djent was more or less crafted by Meshuggah. It's those riffs that I originally described as "falling off" though djent is much better. (Kinda the sound it makes).

Now there are dozens, probably much more we don't know, of bands that are either Meshuggah ripoffs or some technical metal/core type thing using a lot of djenty riffs.

Just a style, not a genre LOL
Seriously, no "djent" band sounds unique in terms of genre. They are all easily classifiable as some type of metal (prog, avant, core, technical) whatever. Please, no need for a sub genre that really does not exist.
Simply a style of riffing these bands use alot.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 29 Jan 2011 at 8:42pm

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:09pm
LOL
Inexistence is the true normality.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH SHLUH

Isn't that post-metal? Tongue

Actually, come to think of it, that does sort of look like a Neurosis song Headbanger

It depends how quickly you read it

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 29 Jan 2011 at 2:04pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
Why is that post metal?
Inexistence is the true normality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic