MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Djent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Djent
    Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 2:58pm
I had created this topic at General music discussions in PA.It was a good topic.So,I start it here too.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 3:16pm
I'm not very familiar with the style (most of the bands that use extensive djent riffing aren't my cup of tea, so to speak), but I do enjoy bands like Meshuggah from time to time. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 3:43pm
I�m still not familiar enough with the term Djent to comment. Anyone who can give a good explanation to what Djent is?

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 3:48pm
Ah gotta love them djent-ers. From Periphery to Meshuggah, that style is extremely unique and refreshing amongst the now "standard" prog metal that was refreshing in the 90s. Always good to hear experimentation. Thumbs Up

And UMUR: Djent is a style of heavy metal that utilizes heavily downtuned or 7- and 8-string guitars with boosted mids and a lot of bending to make an "up down" kind of metal riff. Example:

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:15pm
I rather like the founders of djent like Meshuggah and Fredrik Thordendal. Spacey, odd shifting experimental music with more groove than you can shake a stick at.

I can't say I care for what djent has turned into such as Periphery and vildhjarta, where the riffs have been made into a more catchy accessible format and it's closer to alternative or post hardcore than actual metal. I find the post-hardcore elements in these bands extremely annoying and I don't think the mix works well.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:19pm
There's a fantastic band.They're called Katatura.They played Djent with death metal vocals.Awesome stuff.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:21pm
Never heard of this before, but I rather enjoy the video that andyman posted.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:22pm
Brian,listen to this band that I wrote.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

There's a fantastic band.They're called Katatura.They played Djent with death metal vocals.Awesome stuff.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:31pm
Nice.I didn't knew that spirit of metal has Katatura.I will add them tomorrow.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:32pm
At spirit of metal they're classified as prog metal, is that true? From what I've heard(on YouTube over the past couple of minutes) they don't sound very progy.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:35pm
Right.They're not prog.For me it's a djent metal band with death metal vocals.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:42pm
...Metalcore
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:43pm
Either that or death, though this is a discussion for another thread

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:54pm
Why?
Inexistence is the true normality.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:58pm
The Death metal team thread, maybe?

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm
There is great band from France called Uneven Structure. There it is:

Honestly, I prefer this more "inhuman" side of djent, these "gentle" bands like TesseracT or Perifery generally leave me cold. This above is an exception.

Edited by bartosso - 28 Jan 2011 at 5:45pm
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:07pm
Going to correct you all before this gets too deep: djent is not a genre.  The word "djent" itself is onomatopoeia that's used to describe the characteristic tight, punchy sound of a low-tuned guitar with strong pick attack, a tone more or less pioneered by Meshuggah and popularized today by the likes of prog metal acts such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders, TesseracT, Cloudkicker, et al.  It's much more of a tight, rounded "bwwaaaaaoowwhhhh" than your typical chugging noise, and the tone is usually helped with heavy use of digital modification and the assistance of seven or eight-string guitars.

It's become inappropriately associated with a genre in and of itself because a number of the forerunning "djent bands" have a style that incorporates similar elements, most noticeably heavy use of polyrhythmic metering and syncopation in the riffing and oftentimes metalcore or deathcore tendencies.  It's spawned a burgeoning underground scene of closet guitar geeks and has been propagated by swapping riffs and numerating project after project through the internet.  It's an undeniably cool concept but one that I feel at this point has been done to death by misrepresentation (something I'm guilty of myself) and the insurmountable number of cookie-cutter bands and solo projects that pop up like weeds.

It's a tone, folks, nothing more.  The forerunning bands that implement this tone are among my absolute favorites (sh*t, I'm an 8 string guitarist myself), but once you get past those select few amazing bands there's almost nothing to find worth listening to.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

Going to correct you all before this gets too deep: djent is not a genre.  The word "djent" itself is onomatopoeia that's used to describe the characteristic tight, punchy sound of a low-tuned guitar with strong pick attack, a tone more or less pioneered by Meshuggah and popularized today by the likes of prog metal acts such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders, TesseracT, Cloudkicker, et al.  It's much more of a tight, rounded "bwwaaaaaoowwhhhh" than your typical chugging noise, and the tone is usually helped with heavy use of digital modification and the assistance of seven or eight-string guitars.

It's become inappropriately associated with a genre in and of itself because a number of the forerunning "djent bands" have a style that incorporates similar elements, most noticeably heavy use of polyrhythmic metering and syncopation in the riffing and oftentimes metalcore or deathcore tendencies.  It's spawned a burgeoning underground scene of closet guitar geeks and has been propagated by swapping riffs and numerating project after project through the internet.  It's an undeniably cool concept but one that I feel at this point has been done to death by misrepresentation (something I'm guilty of myself) and the insurmountable number of cookie-cutter bands and solo projects that pop up like weeds.

It's a tone, folks, nothing more.  The forerunning bands that implement this tone are among my absolute favorites (sh*t, I'm an 8 string guitarist myself), but once you get past those select few amazing bands there's almost nothing to find worth listening to.

/thread LOL

Some of these bands (mostly the ones Kevin mentioned) have helped get me into more than just avant metal. LOL
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

/thread LOL

Some of these bands (mostly the ones Kevin mentioned) have helped get me into more than just avant metal. LOL

LOL, overkill by Kev.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic